• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Career progression path for NFO/Pilot

vicariousrider

War Eagle!
This is my first post here, and I want to start by introducing myself. I'm MM2(SS), and I'm applying to the STA-21 program, specifically the Pilot Option.

I've looked everywhere, and I can't find the answer. So, here it is:
As a Naval Aviator, I know my first duty is as a Naval Officer. So, to that end, what is the career progression path as an Officer in the Aviation Community? More specifically:

A. When an Aviator (Pilot/NFO) is assigned to a VP squadron, to what divisions/departments are they assigned?

B. When an Aviator (Pilot/NFO) is assigned to a VF squadron, to what divisions/departments are they assigned?

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

phrogpilot73

A. When an Aviator (Pilot/NFO) is assigned to a VP squadron, to what divisions/departments are they assigned?

B. When an Aviator (Pilot/NFO) is assigned to a VF squadron, to what divisions/departments are they assigned?
Correct me if I am wrong, but there are no VF squadrons anymore...

Just curious, why didn't you ask about VFA, VQ, VAQ, HM, HSC, HCS, HS, HSL, etc...?

Other than that, I can't really answer your questions as I was a Marine in an HMM squadron and have no visibility on VP or VF.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
VP JO tour:
1st year -get qual'd asap. You'll be a branch O, Legal O, maybe divo (if you've really got your $hit together and demonstrate your ability to manage).
Most important thing? Get qual'd, you can be a rock star in your collateral duties, but if your slow or weak in the plane, well...you've probably been around the block enough to know that rep in the plane is everything. You want to be an Instructor asap. How do you do this? Get qual'd quickly and get experience under your belt. Don't take the full-time to get qual'd, Take half. Yeah, IDTC dets, UNITAS, Cobra Gold, Fallon, whatever.
2nd year -position yourself early for the number 1 ticket jobs, NFO or Pilot training, NATOPS, etc. How do you do this? Volunteer for the squadron blue card ride (Fleet NATOPS check), be kicka$$ in crew performance, always get the qual and then some, try for some high-vis dets or weapons shoot. For some reason, most of my squadron hated IDTC dets. I loved them. Great chance to be a remote skipper of a mini-command. You should now be an instructor and in the Mission Commander pipeline.
3rd year -if you haven't made it to one of the rock star jobs and you aren't an MC, or feel good about being the RAG nomination, well...you better have a really great plan for your shore tour and disassociated sea tour that will ensure you breakout. Right now, if you are not a first tour competitive high EP ( i.e. one or two)...you are going to have a tough time making VP DH.

Attitude. A great attitude, and I'm not saying blow sunshine up the Skipper's rear either, will go very far. I got into a fist fight with an XO, and got a NAM from him six months later. Get your crew off every time, on time. Take care of your crew, they make or break you. Nine people will be watching you all the time.
Have a great time, you'll never have more fun in your career.
I'm sure I missed some things, but I'm about to start boozing.

SnipeDude

Cleveland Brown Fan
With the phasing out of NFO/Nav training in San Antonio what is the pipeline for EP-3 SNFOs? Pensacola to Whidbey?? Jax then Whidbey???

p.s. I already tried the search function

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
With the phasing out of NFO/Nav training in San Antonio what is the pipeline for EP-3 SNFOs? Pensacola to Whidbey?? Jax then Whidbey???

I think for all SNFOs it will be Primary/intermediate in Pcola, UMFO/CAT I in Jax, then Whidbey.

usnmerritt

NSW land
None

As already mentioned, after San Antonio is phased out, EP-3 guys will more than likely go through Pensacola and then straight to Jax as UMFO's. However, there is talk again about taking out the Jax part altogether, spare maybe a week or two of TAD orders to get familiar with the P-3 airframe, but that is WAAAAAY down the line.

So, for right now, expect to go to San Antonio until they make the UMFO program permanent, and then on to Jax for basic P-3 and EW stuff. Your advanced crap will be taken care of when you check into Whidbey.

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None

After INAVS in Intermediate (Pensacola), youll report to Jax as an UMFO (Undergrad Martime Flight Officer), do 6 wks of Advance training, then Wing. VQ and VP guys split off as far as training. Once you finish here, then youll head off to Whidbey. This is assuming you dont go to San Antonio. Also, Im not sure how you select EP-3s. From what I understand, they select who goes VQ.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
This is my first post here, and I want to start by introducing myself. I'm MM2(SS), and I'm applying to the STA-21 program, specifically the Pilot Option.

I've looked everywhere, and I can't find the answer. So, here it is:
As a Naval Aviator, I know my first duty is as a Naval Officer. So, to that end, what is the career progression path as an Officer in the Aviation Community? More specifically:

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Hey good luck! STA-21 is a great program...I am sure you will enjoy it.