• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Career progression path for NFO/Pilot

vicariousrider

War Eagle!
A-Gang or Nuc?
I'm an A-ganger with his head in the clouds. Right now it's pretty much do or die to get picked up as a pilot, largely due to age (I'm already 25 and my first semester with Grantham took me 1 1/2 years (!) to get done) and because I'm running out of time on shore duty. Heh, I'm actualy Nuc waste - I got dropped from class 0002/6. I've learned a lot since then, and I'm sure that once I get to college, I'll be able to apply what I've learned from failing out of Nuc school in order to be successful in college.

My interest on VP and VF (VFA and VFQ actually; I wasn't aware that the VF squadrons went away) squadrons is largely because I'm not trying to get an information overload in one shot. Although I do want to know more about the helo squadrons, I thought I'd stick to fixed-wing for now. If I get picked up as a pilot, I'll gladly fly in any platform. Although I'd love to fly an F/A-18 or a P-3, I imagine that there's a good chance I'll be placed wherever I'm needed. And honestly, if I'm selected to begin with, I'll be glad. Being selected is a huge honor and privilege to begin with, and beyond that everything's a bonus to me.

You know, the toughest thing about finding anything out about the aviation community is not knowing where to find the knowledge locally. Thankfully, though, I've got some great people here to turn to.

If I don't get picked up for pilot, then I'm definitely looking for a slot as an NFO. Beyond that, it'll be CEC or core, and if those all fall through I'll try for LDO. After that, if I still don't make it, I'm gonna retire on the enlisted side. I like having back-up plans.

Thanks for your help, everyone; I'm getting a better picture of the non-flight side of being a Naval Aviator. I've tried searching and searching and came up short on resources; I have no friends in the aviation community and I haven't been brave enough to post anythin here up 'til now.

It's cool to see so many prior submariners here on the thread. Hopefully, God willing, I'll be able to join the community.

SnipeDude

Cleveland Brown Fan
MM "A" School Class 9938A. Booted from T-Track but I think I was going to be in 0001 for Power School.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
Yeah, as a VFA JO it'll depend a lot on what the squadron needs/how many JOs are available/how many random billets the skipper wants to create.

Easy way to think about it is that you'll get three jobs in your first tour... likely one in each of Admin/Maintenance/Operations. Your main job will be something to the effect of a Branch/Division Officer, Legal Officer, Schedules Officer, et cetera. Expect a collateral job or two plus random tasking (PRT coordinator, Voting Affairs Officer, Urinalysis...) Once you get tactically proficient and prove you're not a waste of valuable air, they may send you to a school to be the squadron SME (subject matter expert) on a particular weapons system... for example SLAM-ER, HARM, AMRAAM.

It's all actually fairly random and there's not a lot you can do other than work hard at the job you're given and learn as much as you can.

vicariousrider

War Eagle!
Hey, I just wanted to thank everyone for their inputs here. Obviously, there is way more to being a Naval Aviator than just the airborne part of it. I'm really beginning to look forward to it now, especially since there's a chance for me to live out the duties of a Naval Officer. I'd still love to hear more, though; obviously, one can never know enough.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
As stated before, the VP hot-ticket JO jobs were Pilot/NFO training and NATOPS. Mission Commander a must, Instructor Pilot/Tacco a must.

Very few JO jobs are a waste, you are always being observed. In VP, the senior JO's are just as important in determining your future as the HODs.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
UInavy said:
I'll disagree with that last bit. I'd say that your first job is fairly random, however your follow-on jobs will mostly come as a direct result of your performance (or lackthereof) in your first job or two.

Thing is, it goes both ways... some guys do really well in their first job and get hooked up with a "good deal" for their second... others get hooked up with a really sh!tty job because the front office knows they can count on them not to f#ck it away.

WRT the question on desirable jobs... A/G or A/A Training Officer is good... a Division Officer in Maintenance is probably a nice check in the block as well...

RAS

retired but still flying
None
I'm not sure there are any good or bad jobs for JO's, only good or bad attitudes about those jobs. My first JO job was as Ground Safety Officer which was a do nothing job, but for some reason I was up front at a lot of AOM's making an impression (NATOPS Q' of the day anyone?). But that was only when I was actually at the squadon's home base. 72% of my first tour I was deployed and working on critical aircraft/mission quals. A JO could F' up his ground job and no one would care after someone senior fixed it, F' up in the aircraft and everybody knew.

BTW, first post here. Great Forum.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
OK... Ya'll forgot to include the best career path-->

Commission
Stash Ensign (Hometown of course)
Flight School (Jets-More PIC time)
RAG/FRS (Guess nothing but Hornets left?)
Fleet Tour (Hometown-JAX)
Training Command IP (Pick your poison)
Airline Pilot / Navy Reservist (Major / Easy Commute)

With the right timing (got to be hiring), resume (hours & Quals), and contacts (Networking/LORs).. This would be my recommendation... But I am bias having done this route... :D

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Nope... Flying around on the backside of the clock, you would be hard pressed to find any female on the property that looks good... The female pilots senior enough to hold the day flying are all OLD and we all know how that typically turns out... (A wrinkle here.. A pound or two there..) :eek:

The flight attendant is YOU.. Want a cup of coffee, grab the jug.. :icon_drinHungry, open the catering box.. :tongue2_1

MasterBates

Since career paths are being disucssed, here's mine:

Commission
API, Primary, HTs, Wings
RAG
Fleet tour in HSL, with 6 month extension
Picked up for VAW/VRC Transition
VTs (34s), VTs (44s), VTs(45s) <----Currently in 44s
RAG Part Deux
C2 or E2 Fleet Super JO tour
After that, your guess is as good as mine. Detailer wants me to go to the RAG or Jet VTs after, but thats still a good 4 years out at this rate.