• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Career Pilot

JayPull85

I would like to make a career out of being a pilot. I also intend to try and fly for the military. I am also getting a business/accounting degree.

Should I pursue an aviation degree?
This is what it will give me
250-300 flight hours
Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Licenses as a Private and Commercial Pilot, an Instrument Rating, a Certified Flight Instrument Instructor Rating, and a Multi-Engine Rating.

http://www.aviation.eku.edu/AV_Over.html

Would this help at all with my final goal of eventually flying airlines or commercial?

ANYONES ADVICE ON THIS IS APPRECIATED! I NEED TO DECIDE IN THE NEXT WEEK! I WOULD LIKE AS MANY PEOPLES VIEW ON THIS AS POSSIBLE!

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
I would like to make a career out of being a pilot. I also intend to try and fly for the military.

Should I pursue an aviation degree?
This is what it will give me
250-300 flight hours
Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Licenses as a Private and Commercial Pilot, an Instrument Rating, a Certified Flight Instrument Instructor Rating, and a Multi-Engine Rating.

http://www.aviation.eku.edu/AV_Over.html

Would this help at all?

ANYONES ADVICE ON THIS IS APPRECIATED! I NEED TO DECIDE IN THE NEXT WEEK! I WOULD LIKE AS MANY PEOPLES VIEW ON THIS AS POSSIBLE!
The flight time will give you a good edge over your competition in flight school. It is however not required and the cost can be ridiculous. I would not advise an aviation degree but to each his own. You can get a business degree and all of the ratings you listed and be just as prepared yet more well-rounded than had you gotten an aviation degree. I am personnally a hater of the "aviation degree".

Heloanjin

pilot
Don't get the aviation degree and/or flight time if you are doing it just to be a military pilot. It isn't required.

To be a Navy, Marine, Coast Guard or Air Force pilot, you need to be a commissioned officer. To be a commissioned officer (besides Warrant), you need a college degree. Get a degree in something that interests you. You'll perform much better and that will make you more competitive for a commission.

If you really love the flying and have the money, get all those pilot ratings. If you don't have the money, don't worry about it. If you don't love the flying...

JayPull85

My final goal is airlines or commercial.
The aviation degree won't help for this goal?
Will the military flying help for airlines/commercial?

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
If that's your goal then go after it and an aviation degree will help provided that means picking up a bunch of licenses along the way. You seem to be pretty much sold on the idea of using the Navy to help get time by the way your other posts sound. This may or may not be a good idea. Number 1; officer first, pilot second. What you do on the ground is more important then what you do in the air. Number 2; you might not get as much time as you would think.
Here's a tip, look into the Air National Guard. You'll have to finance some of your tickets but you'll fly a lot more in the long run and have a much more stable career (one unit more or less for much longer stretches of time then in the Navy without non-flying tours).
I'm not bashing or telling you the Navy isn't for you, just letting you know it isn't the golden ticket with riches and airline nirvana at the end of the rainbow.
Personally, I haven't given much thought into what I want to do after my time in and to be honest, flying commercial airlines has no appeal to me whatsoever.

pilot06

Get a degree in something you enjoy doing. I got a degree in Business Admin. with a concentration in Aviation Management (or an "Aviation Management" degree). I am now a 2nd LT in the USMC and will be going to flight school once I finish TBS and I couldn't be happier. But........I had a hell of a time finding a good job after graduation as I was waiting to get picked up with the USMC. I graduated in 2005 and left for OCS in 2007. I worked at a retail store for sh*t money after I graduated just to get health insurance. This was due to the fact that when employers looked at my resume and it said "Aviation Management" they thought that all I was good at was flying. It's stupid...I know, but that's how it was for me. I eventually got my CFI and CFII and still got sh*t money working as a flight instructor until I got picked up by the USMC. I don't know if this helps, but this was my experience. If you want to fly for the Marines, which your profile says you want to do, get in touch with an OSO ASAP. I waited too long to talk to one and I didn't get picked up until about 2 years after I graduated. Also, if you do join the Marine Corps, there's more to it than just being an aviator, you have to want to be a Marine Corps Officer first, a pilot second.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
OK.. I'll weigh in a bit...

Goods: Maybe slight advantage in flight school; the Navy flying is more dynamic and much more fun; build flight time with a good paycheck; learn more about leadership and solid decision making

Bads: #1 what if you get NPQ, attrituded, DOR; which leads to #2 committment (the Navy is not just a job, you have certain time obligations); your days off belong to YOU; nobody calls in the middle of the night unless you are 'On Call'

-I had a Math degree with no flight experience and somehow survived flight school..
-My classmate (Marine) was an ERAU grad and had lots of time; He attrited out of Intermediates and still had a few years on his commitment and got sent to 29 Palms to finish as an Air Intercept Officer or something like that.?.?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
My final goal is airlines or commercial....
Don't go into the military if that is your only goal. You'd be wasting everyone's time -- including your own -- so go civie street & get your aviation "degree" and get on earlier w/ a commuter and move up that way.

Be one of the pretty-faced, drip-dried, no-prior military, whinny, "what's in it for me" little pantywaist's that I had to deal w/ in the airlines. Be all that you can be.

'Cause no one else cares. :)

Moc1Sig

pilot
Contributor
I'm a Junior in college, an instrument pilot, will be finishing my degree in aerospace/pro pilot and my bdcp application is under review right now. I was a business major my first two years of school, primarily just got my gen ed's out the way and about 20 hours of business(accounting, stats, econ, ect classes). I decided to switch school and do the pilot major for a great interest in aviation and a lack there of for studying marketing the next two years. I will still finish a business minor, which I could turn into a 2nd major in a year later on if I wanted to.
So, primary reason for switching is college is a time to enjoy myself and study something I am very interested in. I am already a pilot and will most definitely fly another 100hrs by the time I graduate for love of it and staying proficient, so why not pick up some more faa tickets along the way. Also, studying aerodynamics, aviation physiology, propulsion ect. will not go wasted as a career pilot.
My ultimate goal is to be a naval aviator and to make a career of it, if I were to hit some block along the way or even after I retire from the military if things were to go as planned I want to continue to fly for a profession as long as I keep my medical. So, as a career pilot I wouldn't see an aviation degree as a waste in any sense. As for navy it obviously isn't going help you get accepted or guarantee anything in flight school, but it will help.I think a lot of it has to do with your financial situation and think about practicality with your long term goals. If you wont to be an airline pilot ultimatly navy is prob. not the best route. But for me I just love military and aviation, if I fly helo's that suits me fine and there is careers for that in the civilian world afterwards as well. At the time I like aviation and would be studying it anyways so my major is nice, but earning a commission is my primary goal. Kinda just have to step back and put things in perspective.

mtsupilot09

"We lookin fo you. We gon find you!"
Don't think that once you get your coveted aviation degree and 250-300 hours that you will be hired once you graduate. And if you do get hired with those minimums, you will be making about $23-$28k/year. I thought at one time the airlines were for me....check out www.airlinepilotcentral.com. That website has troves of information about being an airline pilot. If I don't become a military aviator, I will fly for a corporate flight department and not the airlines.

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor
You have to decide you want to be a Naval Aviator first. Although the military can be a great way to build time what happens when the Navy/Marine Corps tells you to go fly helicopters and then you don't have enough fixed wing time to be competitive at the major airlines. To be completely honest I had the same goal: fly military then commercial. However, once I realized how much more fun Navy flying is my thoughts definitley changed. I majored in Mechanical Engineering and took business classes that interested me on the side.

The best advice I can give on this is if you do get into a flying status enjoy it as much as possible because it will not last forever.

navy09

None
My .02...I don't see what's wrong with flying Navy with the long-term goal of flying for the airlines- if you want to serve, the more the merrier. Just do some research and be aware of the process/competitiveness of selecting jets, getting hired by a major airline, etc (yeah, it's difficult, but most thing worth having are).

As far as the aviation degree goes- sh*t happens, if something (physical disability, family, economy) were to ever preclude you from flying, then you'd be a guy with a (no offense) pretty BS degree and a bunch of flight hours on your resume, which are useless in any other field. If you love to fly, I'd say take flying lessons and get a degree in a more marketable field that interests you.