• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Career Pilot

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
And as everyone else said you should want to be an officer and serve your country first and a pilot second, if you don't think that way then going into the military isn't for you and you should look for something trolling the friendly skies.
Actually I'll disagree with this. I know plenty of officers who would not have joined if they did not get to be pilots or NFOs.

The distinction is once you have joined, you then have to accept you are an officer first and a pilot/NFO second. And you have to put as much if not more effort into being the best officer possible as you put into being the best pilot/NFO possible. If you don't then you are doing an extreme disservice to the enlisted personnel, other officers, and country that are all depending on you.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Ouch...obviously you're right here. I don't have any experience at this point. I haven't even acted as PIC of any military aircraft, let alone operationally. I haven't led anyone in any remotely significant way. And it'll be a few years before I have a real opportunity to do either. All I can say right here, right now is this: I'm happy with my life because, at this point, I'm extremely excited by both of those prospects. I think that's more than a lot of kids who just graduated from college into questionable employment in an uncertain economy can say, though, to be fair, I've never been in that situation so I can't say for sure. I am absolutely aware that I will have to put up with copious amounts of bullshit in the military and that I haven't seen ANYTHING yet. But at the very least, I'm enjoying the anticipation. I'm sure I'm romanticizing the whole thing more than I should, and maybe I'm just setting myself up for huge disappointment...I guess we'll see in a few years.

I'm sorry for throwing out stupid comments based on my own unrealistically optimistic hopes for my future. And really, I just need to STFU...every time I open my stupid O-1 mouth around here, I'm promptly shown the 100% pure unadulterated fvcking retardedness of my ways. But I'm ok with it...because deep down, I know that's what's supposed to happen when ensigns say stuff. :)

Should have just said that in the first place. You've actually made sense here...so, as MB said, learning has occurred..on the net even :eek:

Lobster

Actually I'll disagree with this. I know plenty of officers who would not have joined if they did not get to be pilots or NFOs.

The distinction is once you have joined, you then have to accept you are an officer first and a pilot/NFO second. And you have to put as much if not more effort into being the best officer possible as you put into being the best pilot/NFO possible. If you don't then you are doing an extreme disservice to the enlisted personnel, other officers, and country that are all depending on you.

Maybe I'm just speaking for myself then. It is clear that the majority of the guys in here want to fly in the military. I've wanted to do it since I was a little rugrat and my dad would take me to cecil field. So maybe I worded that wrong, but as I got older I realized that serving my country was more important than being a pilot or getting the type of aircraft I'd like to fly. I still have the main goal of becoming a pilot and I'll be crushed if I don't get it, but I realize if it doesn't happen I'd still go in and do my job and service to America.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
To add, if someone comes into the Navy with their only goal to fly airline, no interest in the officer thing, etc, it's going to come out in the end. Either the dedication required in flight school is going to get them or what is required from several ground jobs is going to get them. I'll use an example of a pilot in VRC-30 years ago. I'm not sure if he decided to use the military as a stepping stone before or after coming in. At some point, this seemingly became his goal. He flew legacy Hornets and "according" to him, didn't like the community. Not sure if this is the entire story of course. From what I saw, he simply didn't like all the extra work it took to become a proficient Hornet pilot. So he chose to opt out, go to another community. He said it was difficult to get out without some effect. Anyway, he picked up COD's and he certainly demonstrated his lust to do not a whole lot. He wanted to rack up flight time, surf every morning (came in with his surfboard just about every day it seemed) and as I recall, his lack of effort may have caught up with him via the FITREP. He ened up going C-12's in El Centro, got out and last I heard (from him via an email), never made the airlines. You often reap what you sew.