• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

car at TBS

Status
Not open for further replies.

schmied

OCS 188 Air
I know I'm a little early, but I'm going to OCS 188 in Jan and then on to TBS in the spring. I am debating if I should sell my car now or not. In general, can you have a car at TBS? Is it a good idea? Because I am not going to pay a $300 car payment and insurance for 8.5 months and not drive my car, I'd rather sell it and save the money. But if I will need a car at TBS, then I'll keep it. I appreciate any insight on this. Thanks

peanut3479

pilot
At OCS you won't use your car much - only on libo which is <24 hrs once a week. At TBS you can get by without a car, but I don't know anyone that didn't have one. Once you're secured for the day you're basically free to do whatever you want, including go out to eat (The Hanson Room gets real old real quick). Weekends you're typically not doing anything (unless you have remedial land nav and one weekend for MOUT/Urban Patrol), so having a car is not a necessity but it will definitely make life a little easier.

winger

FNG
I'll go ahead and say that it IS a necessity. When that flag goes up on Friday, get in your car and get the hell out!

KBayDog

winger said:
I'll go ahead and say that it IS a necessity. When that flag goes up on Friday, get in your car and get the hell out!

When the flag goes up on Friday...and every day in-between!

schmied

OCS 188 Air
cool, thanks guys. I also talked to my OSO and he pretty much echoes what you've all said. I think I will go with your advice. Also, O-1 pay isn't too shaby, right...with no other big expenses I should be able to flip the bill and not go broke...

USMCBebop

SergeantLieutenant
Need I say more?

I'll tell you what, even if they make O'Bannon Hall like Embassy Suites or the Hilton, believe me, YOU'LL STILL WANT TO GET AS FAR AWAY AS POSSIBLE once Friday Libbo is sounded.

FrogFly

Knibb High Football Rules!
schmied said:
cool, thanks guys. I also talked to my OSO and he pretty much echoes what you've all said. I think I will go with your advice. Also, O-1 pay isn't too shaby, right...with no other big expenses I should be able to flip the bill and not go broke...

The only "bills" around here are a result of having to buy every damn thing under the sun that is required to be at this place... After those expenses, you should have a little something left.

samadma

OCC-169 Grad
Get an account with NAVY FEDERAL CREDIT UNION. I don't get a kick back from them, but they definately give the best rates for can loans. Get USAA for car insurance because they're pretty good when it comes to that, and you can bank with them. I don't get kick backs from that either.

You can make it through TBS without a car. However, I didn't get a car until I knew where I had orders to for good! Therefore, if I was getting shipped to Okinawa Japan I didn't have to worry about what to do about this car I just bought. Once I found out I was going to Camp Lejeune it didn't matter. However, without a car you're pretty much grounded at TBS on weekends and 96's or end up bumming rides from fellow Lieutenants.

quietPerson1977

Address

What is the address while at TBS? I know while I was at OCS it was Cand. Last Name, Initials, last four digits of your SSN, 2189 Elrod Ave Quantico, VA Zip. Is it the same format for TBS? The Reason I'm asking is beacause I just graduated from OCS (OCC 187) I live in Maryland but I'm buying the car from a dealership in Stafford, VA and I'm going to get VA tags to save money beacuse MD tags / MVA expenses would be more.

Thanks

usmcmustang

Although you DO need a car at TBS, one important factor to consider is that the military does not pay to ship your car, and shipping it cross-country (I did it from California) costs at least $500.00, plus you have to pay for airfare and wait at least a month after reporting to get reimbursed (for airfare only). You can also drive, (which the military covers) but if you're coming from AZ, could be a long drive, which takes a toll on the car and mileage, plus you need to factor weather & time w/o work...

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
go get a po box at mail boxes etc. out in garrisonville. that way, you'll actually get all your mail (in a timely fashion to boot). getting packages through the TBS mail system is awful and it often takes a LONG time for mail to get to you, as it has to go through several reps and is often dependent on whether they bother to go get the mail or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.