• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CAPT Scott Speicher - KIA

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtmedli

pilot
I was just looking at my pics of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier I took in D.C. a few weeks ago and thinking about how it represents people like Capt. Scott Speicher. Gone but not forgotten. Amen to that. May he rest in peace and walk with the Angels.

hokieav8r

~Bring the Wood!~
None
COB Speicher

I was stationed at Contingency Operations Base Speicher 2006-2007 for 15 months and was proud to know the story of the base's name. I am even more honored and proud that the man will be properly laid to rest. What is very compelling to me, is that no matter where you are in the world, whom ever you are in the world, if you are a good person with a heart and hand tied to your god, you try and do the right thing. I am moved that the citizens of this desert country, laid our man to rest as best they could with the tools they had. Officers, Soldiers, Family and Friends, rest assured this man was not alone on his spiritual journey home when many, who didn't even know this man, laid him to rest. Only God knows what happened that day. May this closure grant many and his family peace.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I was stationed at Contingency Operations Base Speicher 2006-2007 for 15 months and was proud to know the story of the base's name.

I feel compelled to stand up and say that I like it a lot when the bases over there are named after the fallen, heroes, battles, and other important military heritage (which describes just about all of the bases now). I have a picture of myself standing in front of a plaque of the citation of a MOH namesake of a base where I was stationed and it is one of the pictures I'm really glad I have.

/break
OP/HH-60H, thanks for posting the link.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's quite a big event in the history of these sorts of things. It's outstanding that they even have a local oral history of the event, and that he was never in the hands of the Iraqi government.

I wonder what compelled the locals to even mention it?

Amen. It's good that he was properly put to rest by decent people who were outside of the political conflict. Let this be a lesson to the conspiracy crowd out there - enough said.

Brett

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor
Amen. It's good that he was properly put to rest by decent people who were outside of the political conflict. Let this be a lesson to the conspiracy crowd out there - enough said.

Brett

Or to the crowd who assumes that every person in the nations we fight is pure evil. My hat's off to those who gave him a proper burial, but I'm glad he's home where he belongs.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Taught my plebes about him today a little bit; came in handy in a "don't ever leave a shipmate behind" discussion. The article is posted next to a picture and Navy Cross citation of 1SGT Kasal.

gtxc2001

See what the monkey eats, then eat the monkey
pilot
Contributor
During my last deployment my squadron flew several missions in support of the effort to recover Captain Speicher's remains. The article regarding his identificatons doesn't really do justice to the recovery efforts that have been made by various organizations within the DoD. I am sure that tips from Iraqis with first hand knowledge of the incident were key to locating the gravesite, but let it be known that significant resources had already been invested in surveying the bedouin gravesites in the area around the crash site. Interestingly enough, a nephew of Captain Speicher was a member of the Sea Bee unit surveying the gravesites. Once his command found this out, he was flown out to the site on a few occasions by our squadron.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
During my last deployment my squadron flew several missions in support of the effort to recover Captain Speicher's remains. The article regarding his identificatons doesn't really do justice to the recovery efforts that have been made by various organizations within the DoD. I am sure that tips from Iraqis with first hand knowledge of the incident were key to locating the gravesite, but let it be known that significant resources had already been invested in surveying the bedouin gravesites in the area around the crash site. Interestingly enough, a nephew of Captain Speicher was a member of the Sea Bee unit surveying the gravesites. Once his command found this out, he was flown out to the site on a few occasions by our squadron.

You are definitely right on that one, the efforts to locate his remains confirmed to me that our country was trying it's best to keep the promise of not leaving him behind. I am heartened to see that it was a promise kept.

Status
Not open for further replies.