• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Can Whiting/Corpus determine selection.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
You guys are way overthinking this. I probably did, too. Just study hard, hope for the best, love what you get.

I was in Meridian and asked for one west coast RAG (-129) and got one of the other three. Was in that west coast RAG and asked for a Lemoore squadron, just a few hours up I-5, and got Oceana instead. There is no bean counting of any tactical significance here. Though I was never a whiting person, so maybe that is what set my FW career in motion after all :)

jointhelocalizer

pilot
Here is what I saw as a Lead ENS down in Corpus:

If you want to do cool experimental things with CNATRA, then the way to do it is Corpus. Avenger and Hellcat (T-6 topoff for the strike dudes/dudettes) were all initially fielded at Corpus. CNATRA is headquartered in Corpus, so they will test/roll out programs at the Corpus VTs before shipping them over to Whiting. When I was up for selection at Whiting, I settled on big wing, but we got briefed that Hellcat was an option on paper. However, I didn't see a Hellcat class until months later at Whiting while multiple classes have gone through at Corpus. Also, Corpus is doing an all-Avenger squadron for Primary. That is the ultimate goal for CNATRA (VR replacing a lot of in-plane training). Doing all these programs sounds cool, but caveat emptor. New programs always have gremlins. It is just the nature of the beast.

From an aircraft selection standpoint, I didn't see any evidence to the point where I felt like it made a difference. Plenty of people from Whiting went to South Field, Kingsville, Meridian, and Corpus. The same spread in Corpus. I think there is a lot of false significance placed on Primary location. Studs who got helos who didn't want them at Whiting sometimes feel like they got screwed because they were in Whiting. Talking to STUCON, people who get helos who don't want them (outside helo drafts where whole classes go) are typically those who put lofty dream sheets out, but their NSS doesn't support it. P-8s for example only require someone to pass the program. However, P-8s are pretty competitive, so you need a decent NSS to be in the running. There are around as many helo squadrons as jet squadrons and every helo takes two pilots. There is simply a lot of demand for helo pilots.

As others have said, do the best you can to crush Primary. The better you do, the harder it is for CNATRA to tell you no if a spot is available. If you have the number one NSS that week, then the board is yours. Remember, you compete against the other location for slots too. It is a beancounting game that you will go blue in the face trying to figure out, though. As one sage poster once said, "Study more than you party, sleep more than you study, and party as much as you can."

PMPT

I haven't been there in a long time admittedly, but I can tell you that back in 2019/2020 I literally watched the MATSG XO pulling up the completers and racking and stacking them on the basis of grades. If #1 wanted jets and #2 wanted herks, 1 and 2 got herks regardless of whether they were whiting or corpus. The Marine Corps is insanely wasteful of money. don't give them too much credit.

Revitalized

You guys are way overthinking this. I probably did, too. Just study hard, hope for the best, love what you get.
This 100%. I just finished primary at whiting and selected maritime. Stay focused and give it your all so you can get what you want. If it comes down to "needs of the marine corps", then at least you know it wasn't because of your performance.