• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Can Whiting/Corpus determine selection.

Money

GOOD EVENING LADIES GOOD EVENING GENTLEMEN. Just graduated NIFE and I will be completing primary in lovely Whiting since me and my SO are already settled down here. Im really hoping to fly C130’s and im feeling like I screwed the pooch by not picking Corpus instead since that is where their advanced is. Dumb question… but is it possible that youre odds of being selected for C130s increases since youre already there? Or is it really all just dependent on your NSS? I appreciate you all.

FinkUFreaky

pilot
Can’t speak for the marines, but unless things have changed, it doesn’t matter for navy selection. While it would certainly save some money for the navy to pick all the helo pilots from whiting and all the multi-engine from corpus, it would also perhaps provide less incentive for full effort if you already knew where you were going and your grades didn’t matter.

Money

GOOD EVENING LADIES GOOD EVENING GENTLEMEN. Just graduated NIFE and I will be completing primary in lovely Whiting since me and my SO are already settled down here. Im really hoping to fly C130’s and im feeling like I screwed the pooch by not picking Corpus instead since that is where their advanced is. Dumb question… but is it possible that youre odds of being selected for C130s increases since youre already there? Or is it really all just dependent on your NSS? I appreciate you all.
I should also add that most of the guys I know who want C130s are also going to Whiting. Do you compete against people at both whiting and corpus or just wherever you are stationed at?

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Everybody, everywhere, selecting that week…but…my information is “vintage” so maybe a fresher perspective is out there.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor

Yes. It has happened (at least to Navy selectors) occasionally in the past due to budgetary constraints when it come to PCS orders. No/Low money for the remainder of the FY has resulted in selectors going to advanced pipelines that don’t require a PCS to other bases.

Really wouldn't worry about it. Control what you can.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Doesn't matter, although C130s is a small community so chances are small anyway.
This is the real answer. A huge chunk of my old USMC students all wanted C-130s... and ended up Rotary or V-22s as is life.

Roger_Waveoff

pilot
Anecdotal like almost anyone's perspective is going to be on this sort of issue: when I was going through Primary it really seemed like KC-130 slots were going to Corpus completers at a significantly higher rate than Whiting. Exceptions to everything, two really good dudes I know at VMGR-352 completed out of VT-2 and VT-6. But I (Whiting guy) distinctly remember meeting a Corpus guy in my T-44 ground school class who was going to VT-31 for Hercs. Bunch of us were shooting the shit between systems classes and comparing dick sizes NSSs. Aforementioned guy's happened to be about 5 points lower than mine. Both of us had Hercs at the top of our dream sheets, but he got Hercs and I got V-22s. Couldn't help but think, "Funny how that worked out."

Oh well. I tried not to let it get to me then, let alone now. Unlike a lot of my peers, I'm one of those weirdos who actually enjoys the boat and doing helicopter(-ish) shit, so I guess it worked out in a way.

Mouselovr

Contributor
Completely anecdotal.
They tell us it makes no difference.
I was buddies with one of the leads ensigns who’d been in corpus over a year as their lead admin. He observed a non zero greater % select fixed wing out of corpus than whiting.

Also, friend’s dad went through 30+ years ago said if you wanted fix wing, they sent you intentionally to certain primary locations.

Personally, the minor % difference shouldn’t be a great enough factor to weigh which primary location to request.

Skywalker

Student Naval Aviator
Location doesn't matter a ton, but where you are in the fiscal year when you select sure does. Want to improve your chances? Get a high NSS and try to game it so that you select in October.

/Disclaimer, that's a joke, you can't control when you select and if you end up in jets you won't have even a ballpark estimate of when you'll wing.