• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Can I do it?

Jaquel

Okay, so let me start out by saying a little bit about myself. I've always loved flying, but in 4th grade I found out my eyes were going bad and got glasses. Since then they have gotten worse, but it's seemed to have slowed down a lot. Until recently I had thrown the thought of becoming a military pilot out of my mind because I just figured it was an impossibility and there was no point dwelling on it. Now I've just heard that laser eye correction is actually acceptable for people who want to become pilots.

I have been accepted in the NROTC program at the University of Michigan and am planning on majoring in Physics there next year. I was just wondering what my options are with my vision to become a pilot. Thanks for taking the time to read this and I'm a complete noob to the military, so if you could try and hold back on all of the acronyms I see all over the forum it would be appreciated. :D

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Do some research about PRK, which is currently the laser eye surgery the Navy allows you to get. By the time you get through the pipe, they might allow LASIK, but don't hold your breath for it. There are a lot of threads with respect to PRK on this forum.

Also, take a look at becoming a Naval Flight Officer (NFO) and the other warfare communities you'll be able to select coming from NROTC (Submarine Officer, Surface Warfare Officer, SEALs -though as you can imagine it's super competitive - etc.)

Best wishes and good luck.

Jaquel

Thanks for the quick reply and I will deffinately check out the PRK threads. As for the other options; I actually went into NROTC without even thinking about the possibility of becoming a pilot, so if it doesn't work out I'll be more than happy to do pretty much any of the other options, especially subs.

I've actually got one more question. Is the marine option for NROTC selectable after you've gotten the scholarship, or was it something I had to have signed up for from the beginning?

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
I actually go to the Academy, so I'm not positive, but I know I've at least heard of people who have switched. Look around the forums for it and someone who knows better will likely speak up shortly.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I actually went into NROTC without even thinking about the possibility of becoming a pilot, so if it doesn't work out I'll be more than happy to do pretty much any of the other options, especially subs....and am planning on majoring in Physics
WARNING: ROTC + doing well in that major = possibility of being "voluntold" to pipeline in which you learn how to boil water with colliding atoms

PerDiem

Look what I can do!!
I've actually got one more question. Is the marine option for NROTC selectable after you've gotten the scholarship, or was it something I had to have signed up for from the beginning?

It's very possible. If you truly want to go Marine option, show an interest from the start. Get involved in Marine activities, and make sure you are always squared away. Talk to your AMOI and he should set you on the right path.

nzachman

Yeah, well. The Dude abides.
First off...

at the University of Michigan :D

Fuck you.

planning on majoring in Physics

I did the same thing here at OSU (without ROTC) and got a pilot slot. From what I have been told, a Physics/science/engineering degree will help get you that slot. I am not sure about the ROTC side and getting voluntold to split atoms, but it surely helped me on the OCS side.

Cheers and welcome to the site. Now if only your football team could learn how to play American football and not the European, fall down,flop, and be a pussy style football. :D

Jaquel

WARNING: ROTC + doing well in that major = possibility of being "voluntold" to pipeline in which you learn how to boil water with colliding atoms

Haha, that's essentially what the LT doing my interview told me and I'm completely fine with that if it's the case. I applied to NROTC wanting to go into subs and I've been living with the fact that flying wasn't an option so long that I won't have a problem with not being able to do it now.

It's very possible. If you truly want to go Marine option, show an interest from the start. Get involved in Marine activities, and make sure you are always squared away. Talk to your AMOI and he should set you on the right path.

If I'm going to be a pilot I want to fly helicopters for the Marines, but if I'm not I really want to work on a ship, so I'm not sure how that'll go.

To nzachman: Ah, the rivalry has started and I'm not even in school yet! I've never been much a football fan, but I've got my season tickets for next year and I'm willing to give it a try, but UofM does need to pick it up from what I hear. Also, thanks for the info about our major and getting into flying. It looks like not all is lost. Although the glasses + physics may be a deadly combo.

torpedo0126

I was the assistant recruiting officer while stashed at NROTC after commissioning. They will wine and dine you, they will send you to Hawaii for free and promise you ridiculous amounts of pay BUT if you don't want to be a nuke, you won't be.

You still have to get invited to a nuke interview, pass the interview, and pass the interview with the ADM.

When you get to selection, if you don't put it on your dream sheet then your not going to be it. From the way it was explained to me, the only thing that you can be really forced into w/o getting out of is SWO. The class who graduated before me had two people who wanted SWO who actually were 'forced' into aviation. One of them said she did not want to fly and consequently a SWO spot was made availabe...same thing happened with someone who was invited to a nuke interview who didn't want to go in the class that graduated after me.

Now I am sure there is some exception out there, someone knows someone, or I have a buddy, but for the most part, if you don't want to be a nuke, they don't want you there either.

**Note: This is how they ran recruiting at my school. It very well could be different elsewhere.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Starting with the class of 2009 for ROTC (as I saw when I was stashed at my unit when the 1/c were filling out their service selection forms) the Navy changed it so you now list 5 choices on your form as opposed to the old 3. All males had to have subs on there somewhere, and all females had to have nuke SWO. They took away the "it wasn't on my selection form" excuse.

And don't jump the gun and get any eye surgery now. Wait till you're established in the program and talk to your unit about getting approval. If you do it before you enter NROTC you might run the risk of getting DQed from ROTC entirely, at least that was the rule when I started. And even if you decide you want to fly but don't want to get your eyes sliced just yet, being a blind NFO is cool too :)

bmyers91880

Does anyone know the age requirements for FO in the Navy or if there are any age waivers given to non prior service? Thanks in advance for any help.

EM1toNFO

Killing insurgents with my 'messages'!!
None
Maybe its a good thing to not be able to see what/where/how the pilot in front is flying as a NFO. BTW, if your going to Michigan.. I think its some sort of rite of passage to become an overly excessive Michigan football fanatic. Good luck... Also, if you look at alot of us enlisted seaman to admiral program prior Nukes.. notice how many are NOT going back to nuke, I know of a couple though. Subs/aircraft carrier propulsion is cool and all, but its your call. Jus tdo the best you can and you'll have alot of doors opened for you.

Max_Power

Prefers Skippy
Contributor
Does anyone know the age requirements for FO in the Navy or if there are any age waivers given to non prior service? Thanks in advance for any help.

normal_search-button-for-dummies.jpg

eJkxQj7F1MDuUsAuNfrYQA

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor
I have been accepted in the NROTC program at the University of Michigan and am planning on majoring in Physics there next year.

Just a few things of random advice....

GO BLUE!!!! :D

Class of 2007 Grad in Aerospace Engineering. I didn't do NROTC but had a few friends in Aero with me who did it. Both are LTJG's right now and one is in the CEC and the other is in flight school going down the Strike pipeline as a pilot.

Good luck! Go to every football game, seriously. I never missed one in my 5 years there. You have my respect for physics. I hate physics, but funny how I'm an aerospace engineer haha...

Keep us posted on your progress!

Also a +1 for posting on my birthday