• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Can I do it?

nugget61

pilot
If you get PRK, just make sure your eyes are stable - my surgeon won't operate on anyone less than 21, even if they've been stable for 10 years (whether that is a liability reason or med reason, I don't know). Had a friend get lasik before his eyes were stable and had to go in later to get a tune-up.

marcantonio152

I have a friend AT the Academy who was allowed in on the condition that he receive PRK at the Navy's expense. Talk to a NROTC recruiter and see if the program could be applied to you.
The guy I know plans to be an aviator and has nuke as his second choice.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Navy doesn't pay for NROTC midshipmen to get their eyes fixed; only at USNA do they do that.

jbj5016

New Changes

I have done about everything you are talking about. I am going to be a senior in ROTC. I tried to switch to Green but the navy has put a stop on all switches from blue to green. They now only take one or two people from the whole country per board. If you want to do it start early and be a stud in all aspects. They are doing this because they are trying to keep people.
They have also changed the way scholarships are being done. Now there is something like 75 percent are technical majors and 15 percent science non technical and 10 percent other majors. Also if you change your major once you get in you lose your scholarship. This is to get more people to go Nuke. They have also made you put in your top 3 selection choices nuke so like the other people said high grades in physics major = nuke.
I also had my eyes done last year. I had to pay myself but I got it waived and already have my flight physical taken passed. You just have to talk with you unit and make sure you document all of your appointments. It is totally worth it.

Jaquel

Wow, I wasn't expecting so many replies. I have to admit I stopped checking the thread a while back thinking it was done. I've been thinking a lot about what I want to do and I guess the more I think the more I'm not sure. I've got a few more questions though if you guys don't mind answering. I'm starting to get a little off from the original topic of the thread, but I really don't see the reason of starting a new one.

First off, as an NFO will I learn how to fly an airplane? I know as an NFO I won't actually be in control of the airplane, but I will be doing all of the work that the plane is actually up there to do.

Next, if anyone from the nuclear field is reading this, what's so bad about it? It seems like the Navy is having real problems keeping people and all I can find online about it is from the Navy talking about how great a profession it is. I just want to hear what people from the field have to say about it and why they may have disliked it.

Finally, I plan on making a career out of the Navy. In aviation or nuclear propulsion what will I end up doing long-term?

Edit: Oh, and I can't wait for the first game CU. I drove by the Big House while I was up there for orientation and that place looks pretty awesome.

nzachman

Yeah, well. The Dude abides.
Edit: Oh, and I can't wait for the first game CU. I drove by the Big House while I was up there for orientation and that place looks pretty awesome.

Don't let that fool you, the Big House is a shithole. Only the world's shittiest football players roam that field 6 games a year. They should be blessed that men in scarlet and grey come to bless that field once every two years.:D:D