• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Can anyone explain???

jmoore

I have been doing a ton of reserch on the BDCP. There are just not that many websites out there. I stumbled upon this program while I was reserching another, and felt this is the way to go! After doing all of this research I am still a little confused. Can anyone explain the program from the day I go to the office until the time I graduate? I know this is asking alot, but it would really help me out.

JM

Tom

pilot
Contributor
1. Talk to recruiter.
2. Take ATSB.
3. Apply.
4. Get physical and do fitness test (PRT).
5. Find out if you are pro-rec (initial acceptance).
6. Fill out security clearance application.
7. Submit final documents.
8. Find out if you are final select (final acceptance).
9. Sign contract and swear in.
10. Make ass load of money.
11. Sit on ass.
12. Retake fitness test once every 6 months.
13. Talk to recruiter twice a month and meet face to face once a month.
14. Graduate and go to OCS, followed by advanced training for your job.

BDCP allows you to apply for nearly any job you want in the Navy without committing service. This means you hopefully will not get stuck at a job you hate (but it can happen if you slack or are worthless). Once you swear in it starts your clock, meaning if you swear in your junior year in March 2004 you can retire at your 20 year mark in March 2024.

If you are applying with a non-technical degree, like I did with Commercial Aviation, you can only apply when within 24 months of graduation. If you are technical, like engineering, you can apply when within 36 months. Also, you do not need a specific degree for a specific job. This means you can cruise through college as a history major and end up a Naval Aviator.

I hope this helps.

Tom

jmoore

Wow, thanks! That really helps. Ok, on to my next question...How difficult is it to be accepted into the BDCP? I right now have a 2.82 GPA, I am however working on getting that up! One class has really brought my GPA down and now I have to work twice as hard to bring it back up

BackOrdered

Contributor
Wow, thanks! That really helps. Ok, on to my next question...How difficult is it to be accepted into the BDCP? I right now have a 2.82 GPA, I am however working on getting that up! One class has really brought my GPA down and now I have to work twice as hard to bring it back up

Generally, in my opinion, you are scrutinized somewhat more than a regular OCS applicant since you have no real world experience and the Navy has to want to trust you with thousands of dollars that you must live up to at OCS. But it really depends on which community you want and what you've done to your app to make it stand out. Beyond the difficulty of merely being accepted, the application process from start to end is about 6 months (9 for me). And the work you have to do in the meantime can be great. In my case I had plenty to entertain myself with while I waited. Like so many things in life, you have to want it. But most importantly, you'll need to apply ASAP so that you can maintain your eligible to receive money. Otherwise you'll have to go in as a regular OCS applicant.

jmoore

I really do want to get in the BDCP, I have wanted to join the Navy for quite some time now and I finally found exactly the way I want to do that! What do you mean I should apply ASAP so that I can maintain my eligibility? I am only a sophomore in college right now, and I still have at the very least two years left.

BackOrdered

Contributor
I really do want to get in the BDCP, I have wanted to join the Navy for quite some time now and I finally found exactly the way I want to do that! What do you mean I should apply ASAP so that I can maintain my eligibility? I am only a sophomore in college right now, and I still have at the very least two years left.

What I meant was if you have a non-technical degree you have to be in your junior year to be eligible. For a technical degree, as far as 36 months from graduation. You still have to account for the application wait times which can take nearly a year under some conditions. As a sophomore, you are pretty safe right now so take your time and improve your GPA, just be aware of your graduation time later on.

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
6.5 - Go to MEPS and get a Medical Examination. Talk to your recruiter to find out EXACTLY what they will need. Be responsible for making sure it is all completed or you will be going back to MEPS. Further, if you have a prior surgery or anything that would need documentation (again talk to your recruiter), get copies that state you are asymptomatic and have them available to give to whoever asks.

Good luck, and study hard for the ASTB and start thinking about items to put on your Application (including your motivational statement).

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Your current GPA is probably going to be too low, especially for a non technical major. Still, go see a recruiter. If you totally rock the test and have a strong app other wise, he may submit you. If you don't get accepted, then you just wait, improve your grades and reapply. You keep reapplying until accepted or the recruiter tells you there is simply no chance. Competitive GPA is higher for BDCP then the straight no pay OCS option. When you are within about 8 months of graduating they usually only consider you for straight OCS (no money) and then the GPA requirement is loosened a bit. Good luck.

jmoore

I knew my GPA is low. I have had a difficult semester (not that it is an excuse). I know next semester is not going to be like this one. I have high expectations for myself and a 2.8 is not one of those. I am looking for anything above a 3.5, because I know I am capable of it! Thanks for all of your advice, I really appreciate it very much.

JM

navy09

None
I have high expectations for myself and a 2.8 is not one of those. I am looking for anything above a 3.5, because I know I am capable of it!
JM

Good answer! I was also told that my grades were too low for NROTC, but that didn't stop me from applying and picking up a scholarship. The Navy does a pretty good job at looking at the whole person and taking everything into account.

You really have nothing to lose by putting a package together...get in touch with a recruiter and get that ball rolling.

jmoore

I have talked with a recruiter on the phone, but the nearest officer recruiting station is almost 2 hours away. There is however a regular recruiting office just about 30 minutes away. I guess my question is do I have to go and see the officer recruiter or can I just go see the other one?

I have to wait atleast until May or June before I can put my package together because this past June I was told I had an anxiety attack by my family doctor. He prescribed me two different medications and I took them for a week or so. I have learned that you have to be off all medications like that for at least a year. I am going to see my doctor to see exactly what he diagnosed me with...if it was an anxiety attack at all!

MasterBates

Go see the officer recruiter, it will be worth the trip. If the local enlisted recruiter tries to tell you that you have to enlist first, or any crazy crap like that, let us know.

jmoore

Yeah, I know all about the enlisted recruiters. You see, I was ready to join the Navy back in August and so I decided to go and see the enlisted recruiter. Before I knew it my paper work was finished and I was on my way to MEPS. I took my ASVAB and had my physical, I really didn't join the Navy then because 1. my parents wanted me to finish school first, and 2. my recruiter pressured me to not disclose some information to the doctor and I didn't want to have that on my record seeing as how I was looking for a Top Secret Securtiy clearance. Thinking about it now, would it make a difference since I have already been to MEPS and had a physical? I would like to do it over because of the pressure I felt from my recruiter and his superiors.