• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Calling all OCS Class 200 members

attilathescott

Hey all,

Let me first start by saying congrats on your success up until this point. We are all just past the first steps and I felt it appropriate to create a forum for the next OCS class to participate and communicate within prior to departure for good ole Quantico in the stifling cold. Haha, and then, with good performance, on to TBS in the dreary summer.

So start introducing yourselves and what you are going for, aspirations etc, or any questions pertaining to training and so forth, I think that we will be able to help each other out within this forum. You know, start a team before a team is created at Quantico for us. Either way, any input is greatly appreciated.

Here's where I'm at:

GPA: 3.6
ASVAB: 89
ASTB: 7,7,7 67
PT: 259 (20 P.U., 80 Crunches, 21:25 Run)
My package is presently under review with the Aviation Board

fuzzywuzzy

Quick question for everyone.

I am taking my PFT in the next couple of days in an effort to get my package sent to the next selection board, which I think is meeting pretty soon (within the next 2 weeks?). I have everything ready, just need to get a waiver or two out of the way and take this PFT.

I was under the impression that it was probably too late for the Jan. class or that almost all the air slots had been taken. My OSO asked if I was ready for Jan. class and I said of course. So what do you guys think? Is there still enough time between now and Jan. to get selected, go get a flight physical, and whatever else is involved from here on out?

UVaMarine

pilot
Contributor
Just got selected for 1st Increment this summer (I know I'm not in the January class, but I thought I could still post and get involved with this discussion).

Aviation (SNA)
GPA: 3.8
PFT: 270
ASTB: 6,7,7, 55

I'm at the University of Virginia.

possumfest

Hoping for a flight contract, will settle for ground if it doesn't work out.
ASTB 7/6/6 OAR 60
PFT: 278 (21:38 run, 20, 100)
Recs: 4 star admiral, Congressman (boss for 2 years), Marine Captain.
Chapel Hill grad
For those of you training up and struggling with shin splints, I know your pain. I regularly ice,compress, elevate (leg at 90 degrees on the wall) after runs but have lately added intense stretching and strengthening to my routine--full calf, soleus, achilles. Once you find a decent comfortable distance (3 runs at 2 miles, etc), with limited swelling and pain, then you can build at 10%. Don't stretch until you're heavily warmed up.
Try this warmup from the NYtimes before workouts: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/02/s...artner=permalink&exprod=permalink&oref=slogin
Also add some duck walks and another exercise, where you squat with heels flat, hands on knees, and gently rock back and forth. It is a great way to get the blood going in there and to stretch your posterior tibialis tendon. My shin pain is on the inside, and this program has helped me add mileage without too much incremental pain.
This is the full lower leg strengthening program that works best if you're having problems:
Anyone else have any shin tips, please add them. I also avoid foods from the nightshades family (tomatoes, squash) and red meat, as they add blockage and constriction.

possumfest

to fuzzywuzzy, I think your best bet is to shoot for the soonest class you can get in. Flight physicals take a few months to get back (after scheduling), and my experience with OSO offices is that they are juggling so many candidates, that they everything takes a lot longer than you think. Have you been to MEPS yet?

fuzzywuzzy

Yup, I've taken care of everything. Just gotta take the PFT, then go to the doctor to get my eyes diluted and what not.

I understand flight physicals don't get scheduled immediately. Thats why I am asking if there is still time for me to get selected for OCC-200...

attilathescott

I will be going down to Corpus Christie NAS on this Thursday for my flight physical. I have contracted as a Naval aviator, still no word from the board. However, my OSO office has stated that if I have a flight physical in the works, chances are about 99.9% likely to be selected by the board.

Jbramps

To Fuzzy. If you hurry and you have youre shit together there is no reason why you cant class in January class. I had just started talking to a recruiter this time last year and I made the January class. I had to work my ass off to get everything in in time but I made it. One word of caution. My flight physical didnt get cleared til halfway through OCS so technicaly I was a ground contract at first. In my limited experience OSO's can be shady about that so make sure if you end up in the same boat I was in you get it in writing that you will be an air contract. Good luck and enjoy freezing youre nuts off.

attilathescott

Update For Attilathescott

Just completed my flight physical in Corpus Christi NAS, and did fine. They have qualified me. I have also received a phone call stating that I have been selected for OCC 200 in January in the capacity of an aviator, so I'm on my way to becoming a USMC pilot! Now if we can all just break the ice and get through quigly!

possumfest

To be honest, I couldn't care less about the cold pain of January. I'm more concerned with stupid ankle turns or perhaps a stress fracture from all the running.

fuzzywuzzy

To Fuzzy. If you hurry and you have youre shit together there is no reason why you cant class in January class. I had just started talking to a recruiter this time last year and I made the January class. I had to work my ass off to get everything in in time but I made it. One word of caution. My flight physical didnt get cleared til halfway through OCS so technicaly I was a ground contract at first. In my limited experience OSO's can be shady about that so make sure if you end up in the same boat I was in you get it in writing that you will be an air contract. Good luck and enjoy freezing youre nuts off.
Thanks for the info. I'll keep this in mind and shoot you a PM if I fall into the same situation.

smwatson82

Well, there doesn't seem to be a ton of respondants to this thread, but I will toss my hat in the ring. This is my first post here, usually I hang out over at www.marineocs.com

Steve
Selected OCC200 Air
Passed the flight Physical at NAS Pensacola
3.2ish GPA
PFT is completely unsat at like 15/100/22:30 at the moment.
ASTB 8/8/8 69, if anyone cares.

Skipilot

See you boys there. And yeah I have shin splints too, ice, ice, ice. Maybe the cold of Jan. will help em out haha. Have you guys looked at the Five Paragraph order yet?
Montana