• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

California Fires

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
We have a heavy lift helicopter operation out at the airport where I work, that specializes in fire fighting. This afternoon they were packing up this guy:
bell.jpg

and doing their post maintenance check flights in preparation for an early AM departure tomorrow. Watching that bird flying around the airport makes me want to select helos....

Its a pretty interesting helicopter, and I guess also sold to Iran?
More info on the Bell 214ST

Their Skycranes and S61 are already down there

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
Fox 11 reporter this morning began mentioning the living conditions between those at Qualcomm stadium and the Superdome with Starbucks and Pizza vs. MRE's. Nevermind that the 2 situations are completely different. I guess George Bush doesn't hate White People? Where is Al Sharpton?
kanyenotspeakgood.jpg

bobbybrock

None
How about that it looks like the numbers were painted on by hand with a brush.

That's because they are. Cal Fire requires it. My guard unit was given the electric salmon color scheme ( pink). The other two guard units in Cali are green and yellow.
For you 60 bubbas the LA County firehawks are flown single pilot & those guys make some major coin.

Bevo16

pilot
HSC-85 is doing most of the drops out here as far as Navy participation goes. They are the only squadron that has an LOI with CalFires to do the work, and they have the pilots trained to do it. I know they dropped 80 buckets on Monday, 271 on Tuesday, and about 400 yesterday. I know that the Marines did some drops up in Pendleton on Tuesday, and have gotten into the action in other areas since then. HS-4 and some of the HSL squadrons have been flying at night to map the fires with their FLIR and get the fire crews into proper position.

You don't want to know how painful it is dealing with the civilian agencies. They have sets of rules that don't make any damn sense, and they restrict our ability to operate. Communications have also been a major issue.

The news crews are even worse. They keep showing pictures of our flight line and asking "Why can't all of these helicopters be in the air fighting the fire?" Nevermind the fact that a lot of the squadrons just got back from the Gulf, or are about to go, they don't train to fight fires, and CalFires would not know what to do with all of them even if we could get them in the fight. We are definately expected to jump through our butt to save the world now though. It's a lot of fun.

Autorotate

FAC, former Phrog pilot
Shortly after we returned from the MEU we had a day long brief with some reps from Cal Fire and the Forest Service. Since then, every day the squadron has a standby bird for "firebucket."

As it was pointed out earlier, nearly every other squadron on the line is either gone, preparing to go, or just got back. And with all the g-d news helos up there the air is getting a bit congested...

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
serious question - is there a TMR code for fire fighting? I glanced at the back of the 3710 but didn't really see anything. what do you guys log?

fly safe

S/F

Shortly after we returned from the MEU we had a day long brief with some reps from Cal Fire and the Forest Service. Since then, every day the squadron has a standby bird for "firebucket."

As it was pointed out earlier, nearly every other squadron on the line is either gone, preparing to go, or just got back. And with all the g-d news helos up there the air is getting a bit congested...

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
not to rain on your parade, pretty sure that's a C-130, probably one of CA ANG's. You can just make out a neon-pink # in your pic...kinda like the neon # in this pic:
maffsT6.jpg

Mars has a different wing shape...and is red and white.
bc-martin-mars2.jpg

I'd rather be flying this fire-fighting beyotch...
DSC_1842%20DC-10-10%20N450AX%20Tanker%20Air%20Carrier%20910%20left%20side%20l.jpg

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
That's because they are. Cal Fire requires it. My guard unit was given the electric salmon color scheme ( pink). The other two guard units in Cali are green and yellow.
For you 60 bubbas the LA County firehawks are flown single pilot & those guys make some major coin.

Cal Fire requires them to be painted by hand?