• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

California Fires

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
And more on surviving fires in your 'hood:

Dave,, additional info you may want to post.. Ya got the radiant heat through the windows? Well, several people who stayed to fight fires threatening their homes after "mandatory" evacuation were being overrun by fire... they jumped in their swimming pool.... their home burned but they were fine. Additionally, a "deployable fire shelter" known as a "Shake And Bake" to ground fire fighters, can be deployed in the swimming pool scenario for a breathing pocket until the heat passes. Also - SCUBA gear if available. The "mandatory" evacuation deal, in my opinion, lets folks psychologically off the hook so they can abandon their home using the "mandatory" evac as a justification and not feel remiss about not sticking around to kick ass on the fire like Monroe "Hawk" Smith did there in Escondido. He saved his home and when the fire fighters arrived in the area, where did they first give assistance? Yep, you got it, they assisted the the folks who demonstrated the stewgots to stick around in an attempt to save their home. When Hawk was given the "mandatory" evacuation, he told them to take a airborne intercourse on a revolving pastry. Deployable fire shelters are available at some Home Depots and can be found on the Net. VR D-Hose

UMichfly

pilot
None
Great pics HJ! Looks like your buddy went to the same photo school as you did. Good stuff. I dunno if I agree with him on people staying in their homes in spite of mando' evacuation warnings. Sure, sometimes I'm sure the guys who make that call are in CYA mode and prematurely calling for people to abandon ship but in a lot of cases, I would think that it would be a pain in the ass for firefighters to try and fight a fire when they're being pulled off the line every five minutes to go save some jackhole who thought he was smarter than everyone else. That's just my $.02 though and I'm thankful I never had to make that decision for myself in 19 years of living in Colorado.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Great pics HJ! Looks like your buddy went to the same photo school as you did. Good stuff. I dunno if I agree with him on people staying in their homes in spite of mando' evacuation warnings. Sure, sometimes I'm sure the guys who make that call are in CYA mode and prematurely calling for people to abandon ship but in a lot of cases, I would think that it would be a pain in the ass for firefighters to try and fight a fire when they're being pulled off the line every five minutes to go save some jackhole who thought he was smarter than everyone else. That's just my $.02 though and I'm thankful I never had to make that decision for myself in 19 years of living in Colorado.

Whose responsibility is it to protect your home?

UMichfly

pilot
None
Whose responsibility is it to protect your home?

These two
smokejumper_doehring_400.jpg

...and these guys
WILDLAND_FIRE_FOREST_TRAINING.JPG

My point isn't that someone should abandon their property at first chance. By all means do everything to protect your house up until the moment that the mandatory evac. order comes out. I just have a real problem with someone who insists on placing their own self interest in front of everyone else's. If the decision comes down to me saving my house and possibly becoming a liability for the entire campaign against the fire or me getting the hell outta dodge, you can bet I'll be kissing that house goodbye and getting on the phone with my insurance company.

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
I don't understand the whole mando evac thing, and why the fire fighters care. I say tell the people once it's time to go, then wish them good luck and go back to doing your thing. If they save their home good for them, if they burn up, they brought it on themselves.