• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CA state official false Medal of Honor claim defended as Freedom of Speech

Whalebite

I think as far as the law is concerned, he should get away with it. Freedom of speech is not for popular speech, it is for all speech (that does not directly lead to violence etc...)

I also believe he should get the shit kicked out of him, just not by the court.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Impersonating a member of the military is illegal, I believe. Claiming official government credentials of any kind could legitimately be made illegal. Military decorations are a type of credential. Ergo, I don't think you can claim free speech in this case. It's along the lines of a false official statement.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Impersonating a member of the military is illegal, I believe. Claiming official government credentials of any kind could legitimately be made illegal. Military decorations are a type of credential. Ergo, I don't think you can claim free speech in this case. It's along the lines of a false official statement.

Concur. This is exactly correct. Receiving the MOH entitles you to certain benefits and services as well as the recognition (and obviously that you are a uniformed service member). This is impersonation and fraud.

Try impersonating a peace officer and see what happens if you're caught.

"Freedom of Speech" no worky.

Nose

pilot
I think as far as the law is concerned, he should get away with it. Freedom of speech is not for popular speech, it is for all speech (that does not directly lead to violence etc...)

Not ture. There are many legal "Carve outs" to the first amendment. You can't hollar "Fire" in a movie theater, you cannot (as a member of the military) say derogatory things about your chain of command (even if they are true), you do not have freedom of speech in advertisements. The guy violated a law, which would have to be found unconstitutional.

Achilles

That dog won't hunt, Monsignor!
pilot

Doesn't this violate the Stolen Valor Act regardless of any free speech defense? Or am I totally reading the act wrong? I thought the act claims that it's illegal to represent yourself as having been awarded any medal if you haven't been awarded that medal.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
From the op
The motion argues that the Stolen Valor Act of 2005, under which water board member Xavier Alvarez was charged, is incompatible with the First Amendment because it restricts free speech by criminalizing false claims of military honors.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
This thread is useless without pics...
medal+winner+xavier.jpg

Remember Xavier Alvarez has never served in the military...
And for a more in depth look at the legal defense

http://claremontca.blogspot.com/2008/01/xavier-alvarez-redux.html

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
^^^ Looks like that guy went to the surplus store and said "I'll take one of everything" and put it on the uniform. :icon_roll

Achilles

That dog won't hunt, Monsignor!
pilot
^^^ Looks like that guy went to the surplus store and said "I'll take one of everything" and put it on the uniform. :icon_roll

We can always play spot the medal... Is that a trident and a special forces pin on his right breast?