• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CA state official false Medal of Honor claim defended as Freedom of Speech

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
This thread is useless without pics...
medal+winner+xavier.jpg

Remember Xavier Alvarez has never served in the military...
And for a more in depth look at the legal defense

http://claremontca.blogspot.com/2008/01/xavier-alvarez-redux.html

That's funny:

"Alvarez is currently on leave to the Planet Earth from his native Zoltar, a distant Class-M world in the constellation Orion."

He should have pled no hablo ingles.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This thread is useless without pics...
medal+winner+xavier.jpg

Remember Xavier Alvarez has never served in the military.

Key phrase that goes with this photo:
Three Valleys Board Member Xavier Alvarez (Pomona) prepares to make war on common sense. Alvarez, self-awarded winner of multiple fictional military decorations, dons imaginary uniform in defense of hypothetical honor.

He's in his own personal imaginary la la land.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think as far as the law is concerned, he should get away with it. Freedom of speech is not for popular speech, it is for all speech (that does not directly lead to violence etc...)

I also believe he should get the shit kicked out of him, just not by the court.

Except when the law includes the "Stolen Valor Act"

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
Google's search function directed me to this editorial from the Augusta Chronicle. I think they do a good job of quashing the First Amendment-based defense.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Google's search function directed me to this editorial from the Augusta Chronicle. I think they do a good job of quashing the First Amendment-based defense.

Interesting. That's also where* Skeeterman claimed to been a Navy Cross recepient .

* See B for Barner

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
When I was stopped at a traffic light yesterday, I noticed the car in front of me had a specialized license plate, ya know the kind that have a little picture of some sort, sometimes sports teams or universities..? Anyway, this was a Purple Heart. The first thing that came to mind was, "is this another bozo like the one in this thread?" Its a shame it has come this this. It really takes away from those who have really earned those honors.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm still a little puzzled as to how this is a First Amendment issue. Since when are fraud and false public statements protected speech? I know a defense lawyer has to try everything, but I'll be very disappointed if the judge takes this argument even remotely seriously.

This is what happens when you don't call people on their bullshit early.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Don't get too bent out of shape, most likely this will not be considered "free speech" and he will be punished according to the law.

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
Anyway, this was a Purple Heart. The first thing that came to mind was, "is this another bozo like the one in this thread?" Its a shame it has come this this. It really takes away from those who have really earned those honors.
Since most states require a DD-214 indicating award of the Purple Heart - I'm going to say "no".

Or is your point that the Stolen Valor posers have robbed you of the intial reaction of respect when you see a PH plate, and replaced it with one of doubt?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think it was the second part, with the doubt.

From reading some of the other tales on that POW posers/fakers website, it's amazing what some of those guys can pick up in the way of official bling for their bullshit claims. But I guess I wouldn't expect your average DMV drone to be able to tell a real DD-214 from a faked one, even a badly faked one, and I also doubt they check up very strenuously on the applications.

FlyinRock

When I was stopped at a traffic light yesterday, I noticed the car in front of me had a specialized license plate, ya know the kind that have a little picture of some sort, sometimes sports teams or universities..? Anyway, this was a Purple Heart. The first thing that came to mind was, "is this another bozo like the one in this thread?" Its a shame it has come this this. It really takes away from those who have really earned those honors.

Ken - as far as I know, it requires a copy of a DD214 showing the award in order to get the PH plate from DMV. (or ANY military award plate or branch of service).
I saw an older man driving a Cadillac or something like that north of P'cola, and it had a POW plate. I couldn't help myself....when he stopped at a light, I got out of my truck and gave him a salute. He smiled and returned it before the light changed and he drove off.
Semper Fi