• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

C vs. E/F

Jedj

I am and 'E' guy, and I thank God for that. There is something about being up there and flying by yourself all the time that is great, and I havent met a single E pilot that would disagree with me. I have never flown the family wagon version though, so I guess I am biased. The best thing about an F squadron though, is that you only have to stand duty about half the time. That, and they have to invent a ground job for you when your buddy in a single seat squadron has three.

wilsonator

I think I remember posting this a while back somewhere but for what it's worth...whatever you get you will love it. I have dudes in my squadron who wanted F's and now they love E's, I have friends who wanted E's and ended up in F's, they now love the WSO. My C buds think the Charlie is where it's at (they don't have to tank), they don't care that they're bingo on the ball half the time. You have a little bit of a choice in the matter, not much, but since you have a little bit, make a guess of what you think you would enjoy most. Trust me, you will love what ever you end up in. Also, it's 3 years, chances are you'll fly another airframe your next tour.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Trust me, you will love what ever you end up in. Also, it's 3 years, chances are you'll fly another airframe your next tour.

As a counterpoint, there are the "chip on the shoulder, I deserved Hornets/Tomcats" guys that everyone in the squadron hates. Don't be that guy. As for flying another airframe after three years, I don't know if that's too true in a universal sense - maybe just VFA.

Brett

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
As a counterpoint, there are the "chip on the shoulder, I deserved Hornets/Tomcats" guys that everyone in the squadron hates. Don't be that guy. As for flying another airframe after three years, I don't know if that's too true in a universal sense - maybe just VFA.

Brett

What he means is right now the attitude up high is "a hornet pilot is a hornet pilot is a hornet pilot". Flying F's right now, I could end up in C's for a second tour (that would SUCK).

wilsonator

That's exactly what I meant. Like Fly says a hornet pilot is a hornet pilot. When you go up for Department Head or screen for command it's VFA. They stick you where you have a spot, same with training o's. You could go F's for your JO tour, then fly E's a Dept Head, then Skipper of a C squadron.

let me reiterate what i said on the first page ... why anybody would want to select a 15-20 year old airframe that isn't being built anymore and is always breaking and rarely FMC over one that is less than 5 years old and has all the fancy avionics built into each one of them vice being tossed randomly "after market" into a few here and there is beyond me.

Rarely FMC? I beg to differ. My first cruise we maintained a 98.9% FMC capable fleet (Lot 15's). Be careful about saying rarely FMC. My last cruise we were 99.5% FMC with Lot21's. Althought they are getting old, it is not that bad. I'll take a "C" model over "E" model anyday...in fact I would actually take an "A" model over them all. Get into the EM diagrams and performance and you can actually hurt yourself in an "A". Hell I might even take the T-45 over the super hornet. Last SFARP saw a T-45 beat the crap out of the "F".

As for single seat/two seat discussion, two seat has it advantages outside of flying. More JO's to divide up the ground jobs...and believe me it makes a huge difference. I had three jobs my second cruise and it sucked. I am old school and very biased when it comes to single seat (appoligize now if i upset any NFO's) but all this discussion about WSO's helping out is marginal if you ask me.

My C buds think the Charlie is where it's at (they don't have to tank), they don't care that they're bingo on the ball half the time.

Truely old school. Get aboard first pass. Something to be proud of that you did it yourself.

As for all the cool toys....whatever. Unless we are talking MIDS the rest is just "fireside chat". So the Rhino can bring back more weapons due to higher max trap, but correct me if I wrong, who wants to bring weapons back? Plus traps hurt LGB's.

It's all a wash honestly. So back to the orignal post, what is your personality like? Do you want to do it yourself or not? Bigger wardroom or not? Maintenance guys work miracles so FMC is still in the ball park...although not a 1 for 1 comparision. Nice toys or not? We have gotten along fine with the Nitehawk pod for years (if that is all you know). All this talk about equipment is from people who have seen both sides. As a new CAT I, you will not see this. You will only know one way from day one until you transition so I personally don't think it is an issue.