• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

C-9's

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayManC

Anyone know how you would go about getting one of those cushy C-9 jobs? I've heard that they're all reservists but surely they had to come from SOME pipeline. Oh and what about VIPs? Does the Navy use the AF for all of its VIP transport? I think I could handle flying a C-21 with the CNO in the back going here there and everywhere.

<insert something witty here:>

Jack

They are reservists almost exclusively. They were not trained to be C-9 pilots - they went through the pipeling got winged, flew some other aircraft and then got picked up for that job. Many of them are TAR - they're reservists who are always on active duty, kinda strange but a good deal if you can get it.

Grandmaster235

World's Greatest Pilot
Same deal for C-21s... ALL the Navy's passenger jets are flown EXCLUSIVELY (no "almost" about it) by reservists (TAR & SELRES), including the Gulfstreams.

You can, however, get a station pilot job for shore duty after your first sea tour, flying C-12s or C-26s... Both are twin turboprops and you may even get your ATP punched on the Navy's dime!

Grandmaster 235

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
There is also ETD, for executive trasport, modified P3 with a really nice interior. Shuttle around Admirals.

Hmmm, station pilot Key West maybe?

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Or take the hit and do duty for a year in a hard fill like Diego Garcia/Iceland.... is it worth it? The better half would kill me. One of the pilots at our squadron after his hard fill tour at DG got his choice of either station pilot at Key West or Naples, he took Naples.

Grandmaster235

World's Greatest Pilot
Yeah, I've got former shipmates at both KW and Naples now, but they didn't do Diego or Kef... So don't get me started on how they got those orders.[:(!]

But to answer your question, it would be worth it if you're a rotary wing guy looking for some fixed-wing time! Not so much for a P-3 guy though. Remember, everything's relative!!

Grandmaster 235

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
True. LOL, so how DID they get those orders? Or will that get your blood pressure up?!?! For me, probably back to one of the VTs as an IP, but time will tell, only 15 mos into my first tour, as I tough it out here in Hawaii (oh the agony, cough)...

Grandmaster235

World's Greatest Pilot
Originally posted by John Wickham
True. LOL, so how DID they get those orders? Or will that get your blood pressure up?!?! For me, probably back to one of the VTs as an IP, but time will tell, only 15 mos into my first tour, as I tough it out here in Hawaii (oh the agony, cough)...

Let's keep the blood pressure down for today, and suffice it to say that you should always remember this: the detailer is only as interested in your career as you are in his.

Grandmaster 235

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Isn't that the truth about detailers...

Nope, no Boland, could be in one of the other P3 units out here.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Originally posted by Jack
Many of them are TAR - they're reservists who are always on active duty, kinda strange but a good deal if you can get it.

Yeah, flying Gulfstreams in a VR squadron would be REAL rough. Every new pilot (me included) checking into my squadron out here sees those Gulfstreams sitting on the tarmac, and invariable asks "How can I get orders to that?".... "Not in your lifetime" is of course the reply... damn!

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Orders now are 36 months, during the T notch they pushed them up to 42 months. The last 42 month guy just left our squadron, and he was quite ready to leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.