• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Bush or Kerry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaxs170

www.YANKEESSUCK.com
Bush: 68%
Kerry: 29%

Apparently my hatred for the corporate a$$holes who ruined all those people was enough to offset my hatred for the government stealing my hard earned money and giving to people who refuse to get a job, b/c 68% Bush seems about right, well, maybe a little low, but 29% Kerry, holy yikes I wouldn't have expected it to be above 10%.

Red2

E-2 NFO. WTI. DH.
None
I noticed how the "Embargo on Cuba" is a major issue this election. What year is it? 1960? VOTE NIXON/LODGE!!

jjordan19

SNFO waiting for primary
I don't need question to tell me how to vote. 51 kerry 47 bush with loaded questions what do expect. I knew I didn't agree with everything Bush supports, but there is no way I would vote for someone who wants to give control of the US armed forces to UN as Kerry once said. How can he think he earned his 3 purple hearts.

Dunedan

Picture Clean!
None
There seems to be a trend. Check this out.

Troops in survey back Bush 4-to-1 over Kerry
Mon Oct 4, 6:39 AM ET Politics - USATODAY.com

By Dave Moniz, USA TODAY

An unscientific survey of U.S. military personnel shows they support President Bush (news - web sites) for re-election by a 4-to-1 ratio. Two-thirds of those responding said John Kerry (news - web sites)'s anti-war activities after he returned from Vietnam make them less likely to vote for him.

In the survey of more than 4,000 full-time and part-time troops, 73% said they would vote for Bush if the election were held today; 18% said they would vote for Kerry. Of the respondents, 59% identified themselves as Republicans, 20% as independents and 13% as Democrats.

The survey was conducted Sept. 15-28 by the Army Times Publishing Co., which distributes the weekly newspapers Army Times, Navy Times, Air Force Times and Marine Corps Times. (Army Times Publishing is owned by Gannett, which also publishes USA TODAY.)

Army Times Publishing sent e-mails to more than 31,000 subscribers and received 4,165 responses on a secure Web site. The publisher cautioned that the results are not a scientific poll. Its readers are older, higher in rank and more career-oriented than the military as a whole.

Even so, experts who examined the survey results said they do not bode well for the Kerry campaign's efforts to woo the military, a traditionally Republican and conservative voting bloc. The Kerry campaign has highlighted his war record in an effort to burnish his credentials as a prospective commander in chief.

"You can't dismiss" the results, said Peter Feaver, a Duke University political scientist who for years has studied the political leanings of the U.S. military. Feaver said it's unlikely that Bush will receive 70% of votes cast by military personnel. But the results suggest it will be difficult for Kerry to make substantial gains among a group that has strongly supported Republican presidential candidates in the post-Vietnam era.

Feaver said he suspects Kerry is losing support among those in uniform because he seems less committed than Bush to prosecuting the war in Iraq (news - web sites).

Richard Kohn, a University of North Carolina history professor who has studied the political culture of the military, said the Bush campaign has been effective in creating the impression that, if elected, Kerry might "cut and run" in Iraq. "None of us who has studied Kerry's character believes that, but the Bush campaign has established in the public's mind a connection to Vietnam," Kohn said.

Kerry campaign spokesman David Wade called the Army Times Publishing effort "an inaccurate e-mail survey" and said that Kerry has "the vision and values to keep faith with military families and America's veterans."

Of survey respondents, 65% of active-duty and 67% of Guard and reserve troops said that Kerry's activities after Vietnam made them less likely to vote for him. Kerry served in Vietnam as a naval officer and was awarded a Silver Star, a Bronze Star and three Purple Hearts. He protested the war after returning home.

Only 12% of active-duty troops and 16% of Guard and reserve troops said Bush's actions in the National Guard made them less likely to vote for him. Bush received a coveted pilot's slot in the Texas Air National Guard during the height of the Vietnam War and missed a number of mandatory drills after he stopped flying fighter jets in April 1972.

Active-duty, Guard and reserve troops number about 2.4 million, a small slice of the electorate. But in closely contested states such as Florida, their votes could be crucial. The survey found little difference in presidential support among the four military branches.

While there is a lot of information available on how military veterans have voted, data on the voting patterns of active-duty personnel are scarce. Feaver said experts believe military personnel favored Bush over Al Gore (news - web sites) 2-1 in the 2000 presidential race.

A number of military analysts, including Feaver, had been predicting as recently as this summer that Bush would suffer a slight erosion this year based on a number of factors, including misgivings about the conduct of the war in Iraq and dislike of Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld in some military circles. Of those responding to the survey, about three-fifths said they approve of the way Bush is handling the situation in Iraq; one-quarter said they disapprove.

Military personnel who responded to the survey said they were generally happy with their jobs: 73% said they would re-enlist.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
They went and admitted that in the survey. Just take it for what it's worth . . .

Jolly Roger

Yes. I am a Pirate.
akamifeldman said:
That poll you mention was sent to over 70,000 active duty Army personel. Only 4,000 responded. Seems very unscientific to me.

Just like thousands of people are called for polls, but how many actually participate? Usually, a sample that polling companies use is about 1,000 respondents with a margin of error +/-4%. The larger the polling sample the more accurate the poll. Take it how you will.

Cate

Pretty much invincible
Jolly Roger said:
Just like thousands of people are called for polls, but how many actually participate? Usually, a sample that polling companies use is about 1,000 respondents with a margin of error +/-4%. The larger the polling sample the more accurate the poll. Take it how you will.

You also have to consider, though, that the more non-responders you have, the less likely the poll is to be accurate - if the majority of those polled choose not to respond, it's likely that those who do respond have an opinion other than the norm. That makes this poll particularly unscientific, but since they've come out and said hey, this is unscientific, that isn't exactly a shock.

Nor are the results of the poll a shock, really. The military definitely skews conservative in a big way, so if a poll says that members of the military are four-to-one in favor of reelecting the current Republican commander-in-chief, it won't be a struggle to contain my surprise.

Did I have a point?

Jolly Roger

Yes. I am a Pirate.
You also have to consider, though, that the more non-responders you have, the less likely the poll is to be accurate - if the majority of those polled choose not to respond, it's likely that those who do respond have an opinion other than the norm. That makes this poll particularly unscientific, but since they've come out and said hey, this is unscientific, that isn't exactly a shock.

Nor are the results of the poll a shock, really. The military definitely skews conservative in a big way, so if a poll says that members of the military are four-to-one in favor of reelecting the current Republican commander-in-chief, it won't be a struggle to contain my surprise.

Did I have a point?

You have a point and it is hardly surprising that it was so lopsided.

Status
Not open for further replies.