• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Braces?

Carno

Insane
I've heard different things with regards to teeth braces.. Are officers not allowed to have braces? I've heard that they must be off before reporting to TBS, and I've also heard that they must be off before commisioning..

Anyone know anything about this? Thanks!

I did a search, but nothing came up.

TheFurr7198

They must be off before getting commissioned. Also you can not go through OCS with them. I know this because my orthodontist called the medical doctor there. Im going to have to get my braces taken off and have clear retainers put in for seniors. Then they have to be off before I commission. I dont know why that is a rule but apparently it is. I hope that helps you out.

froghead1

If you are talking about getting them once you're in, you can't have them if you are in a deployable status.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
froghead1 said:
If you are talking about getting them once you're in, you can't have them if you are in a deployable status.

"Deployable billet" might be a better description--the Navy doesn't bring orthodontists to the field for us to maintain braces. I'm in a deployable status right now--healthy, not incarcerated, etc. My current billet is non-deploying, though, so I could get braces if I wanted to.

I know of one guy who was in my unit who recently had them (a senior major, no less) and I remember my TBS Co XO had them, which seemed so shocking at the time for some reason. I guess the moral is to do your fleet tour, get that staff job and unscrew your chicklets then.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
I know this is probably a stupid question, but why are braces not allowed? What kind of problems do they create, besides aesthetically of course? It seems that the new clear plastic ones are that bad an idea.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
AllAmerican75 said:
.....why are braces not allowed? What kind of problems do they create, besides aesthetically of course? .......

I dunno ..... I'm not a Marine and I never went to TBS .... but some things are eternal truths ..... universal ... constants, if you will.

I think you might have a credibility problem with the troops if you attempted to bark orders with this :

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
For some reason, I'm stuck with the image of a pugil stick striking the brunt of some Lt's wire-laden mouth. We had injuries enough with broken bones and stress factures and torn miniscus'. Face mask aside, it seems like an unnecessary risk... Maybe the wart guy can elaborate more...

A4s... your photo made my already uneventful evening even better... The laugh factor would rise exponentially at OCS/TBS/whatever.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
AllAmerican75 said:
I know this is probably a stupid question, but why are braces not allowed? What kind of problems do they create, besides aesthetically of course? It seems that the new clear plastic ones are that bad an idea.

Scotty has it right as far as the training environment, issues with getting smacked in the lip.

As far as "why can't I have them in a deployable billet" (thanks phrog), it's a 'maintenance' issue, and i don't mean airframes and power plants.

I came pretty close to getting braces at the end of my Sea Tour, but I was slated to go back to the sandbox for my Shore Tour and it got nixed by the LT doing the work in Dental. She explained that missing an adjustment due to ops would jack up my teeth and who knows when or if an orthordontist would be available.

Worked out anyway, she authorized porcellein veneers instead. Earning me the nickname "Affleck" for quite a while...

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Was on shore duty for 3 years and had ortho work done by the Navy. Happened to have an ortho guy available and had the time and met the criteria (in my case a misaligned bite).

Got a nice smile now...I would hate to have had those things as a single male in the dating game...

So yes, at certain times, it can work out.

r/
G

Carno

Insane
Hmmm yeah I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I need to get braces, but I don't know if I can. I graduate in December so that only leaves me a year if I have to get them off before commissioning. I have heard about those clear plastic things that are al alternative to braces, but I'm not sure if those are allowed when I get commissioned.

Thanks fore the replies everyone.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Why aren't people getting braces when you're supposed to - when you're 12. That way you can get all the awkward puberty stuff out of the way at the same time, yes?

Brett

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I had 2 AWs who were flying and had invisalign. Keep in mind, this was in the Fleet, and they paid for it themselves (not cheap).