• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BOQ @ TBS

Status
Not open for further replies.

itoh

What are the BOQs like at TBS as far as the setup, size, and amenities that are provided. I just need to figure out how much of my personal effects to bring and what I'll have room for. if anyone knows of any pictures on the net, that would be great, but otherwise if anyone has any suggestions as what to bring or anything not to bring, I'd greatly appreciate it.

-itoh

rocco

I'm packing my stuff up tomorrow and heading to TBS on Tuesday. When we checked in I saw the rooms...pretty much a typical dorm room set up like in college. One room has racks and the other room has 4 desks. Each Lt gets a dresser and some closet space. I'm going to try to pack light but I'm bringing a tv, computer, xbox, microwave. The rooms have refrigerators in them. Other than that I could use suggestions on what to bring too. Hope people are going to be around this week for New Years too.

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
-computer + printer + copy machine (to circulate gouge) were life, but you really only need one printer per room.
-The T.V. was nice, otherwise you get out of touch of reality.
-Coffee Machine + a Big Ass Thermos.
-Man Purse (book bag).
-cleaning ****.
-It really was a lot like setting up for college. No matter what you hear, it's ok to have booze, just keep it in the cupboard, and leave the animal house poster at home.

itoh

-Do you carry a normal civvy backpack ("man purse") to class?
-is there cable internet in the BOQ's or is it only dial up ISPs that you subscribe individually?
-what kind of cleaning trash should we bring? I'm assuming it's just stuff we can buy at the PX.
-how much civvy clothes do we need to bring?

thanks alot for the help,
-itoh

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
A lot of people had the little book bag with the usmc emblem (I used my school bag). Some even used their issue cammo backpack, there wasn’t any requirement. The only time we got in trouble was when 80% of the company didn’t bring the pubs to the adj. Class, he yelled and sent us back (oops). The internet was dial up, and then cable t.v. sorry, no high speed access because some left their computers on during inspection (imagine what was on), they’ll give you the numbers to order it if you want (it’s all on you). With the cleaning trash, yeah you can buy it at the px, but before I moved I didn’t think about it and gave away a lot that I could have used. I wouldn’t specifically buy a vacuum, but if mom’s got the old beast and ready to get rid of it then bring it up.
The storage really sucks, which is the main thing you have to plan for. I used my car to keep extra crap. With civy cloths, you wear your utilities everywhere on base, but then what ever you need for 6 months of weekends in D.C., + a few weeknights up to CCs pizza. It was funny watching a lot of the people wearing the same outfit out all the time.
If you have more than a carload, you’re probably wrong. Once I got to P’cola, I did a PCS move to get all my crap down there.

Taxman2A

War were declared.
BigWorm is right. If you are a single guy living in the Q, you had better be able to fit your entire life into one car, or you're wrong. I personally have 4 civilian shirts and 2 pairs of jeans (with me in Quantico), and a civilian suit just in case. Once TBS gets rolling you should be too ****ing tired to really want to go out that much anyways. I am thoroughly impressed with the Lt's that are able to take a week of crap and still go to DC on Friday nights.
Friday night means I'm in bed by 2300 probably. heh.

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
somebody will have one you can borrow - mine was always in use. Looking back, it seems like we were in class all the time, writing lots of memos, speervals, etc... until the bad weather came, then you go to the field for a week. If it aint raining, the AF is training.

airwinger

pilot
At TBS you need to be going out every weekend, Friday through Sunday. If you have the 20 miler on a Friday, the real partiers are the guys who will be in D.C that night

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
In uniform, you can have whatever you want in your left hand.
Only the AF and Army wear backpacks.

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
Funny Story from a simulator instructor that went through TBS in the 70’s. From what I hear, the SPCs used to be a little more anal about the room inspections. He was talking about the guy getting down on his knees and scrapping the grout between tiles in the head. For the next inspection, he stuffed a rag down the shower drain, and then poured a gallon of ammonia in there and closed the doors. Once the SPC opened up the door, he didn’t inspect the head.

Status
Not open for further replies.