• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BOQ? naw

SB&P

I'll be heading down to pcola soon, but apparently we aren't suppose to buy/rent housing/apartments until the boq is full. How often does the boq have availability, because I'm trying to put money down on austinwood now rather than the day i get down there with everyone else and they mama. Thanks in advance

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor
Here's how to get out of staying at the BOQ.

Step 1: Go to the BOQ.
Step 2: Ask ladies at desk for a non-availability stamp on your orders.
Step 2.5: If ladies do not give you a stamp, wait until there are new ladies and try again.
Step 3: Walk back to Flight Management with your non-availability stamp.
Step 4: Live off-base.

Pretty simple. They can't force you to stay at the BOQ.

torpedo0126

it depends also if you are a SNA or SNFO. SNFO they grant 10 days of BOQ time if you want. SNA they simply asked me if I wanted to stay in the BOQ or live off base. I stayed in the BOQ until I found a place...

however, if you elect to do what I did, bear in mind, you won't be reimbursed for the time you spent in the BOQ until you get to Primary. This is because API is considered an Intermediate activity on your orders (even though you will most likely be there for 6+ months).

No big deal though. This was my experience, it could be different for you. However, I have not heard of anyone being forced to stay at the BOQ in the recent past.

m26

Contributor
it depends also if you are a SNA or SNFO. SNFO they grant 10 days of BOQ time if you want. SNA they simply asked me if I wanted to stay in the BOQ or live off base. I stayed in the BOQ until I found a place...

What does this mean? They give SNFOs 10 days to find a place then kick them out? :confused:

bluesig1

sure thing
None
hmm the people who have just come here this past week have been told they have ten days in the BOQ to find a place to live off base. Anyone else hear anything different?

torpedo0126

What does this mean? They give SNFOs 10 days to find a place then kick them out? :confused:

they ask are you a pilot or NFO. my two friends were NFOs and were kicked out after ten days, yes.

When I said I was a pilot, she told me I could stay as long as I want.

m26

Contributor
Naw...

This angers my future-SNFO side

Any wild speculation as to the disparity?

Tom

pilot
Contributor
It's because SNFO's PCS while SNA's do not. This should make you happy. Typically anyone is better than the BOQ. The 10 days is for TLA (Temporary Lodging Allowance?) to allow you to find a much nicer place where you can do whatever you want (and get BAH).

m26

Contributor
I see. "Kicked out" has sort of a negative connotation. Kinda gave myself a bad mental image.

Sounds good. Thanks for the info, Tom, Torpedo.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You aren't kicked out, per se, it's just the Navy will only fund up to 10 days in the Q. Say you move down and find a place but you can't move in for 2 weeks. That means you'll fund 4 days in the Q out of your pocket.

SteveHolt!!!

pilot
Here in Corpus, they're telling us the 10 days DOES NOT apply to SNAs in PCola (but does in Corpus). He's still trying to get those of us who lived in the Q for that time our money back, but can't promise anything. So try to have somewhere lined up before you show up (not to mention the Q costs more to live in for a month than your BAH will cover).

JonDW7

As of today, the Q is actually full. One of the guys that sat by me at the PSD brief tried to live there (don't ask me why), but was told that it was full so he needed to find an apartment in town.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Either way if you're a FO coming down and the BOQ can't take you for a couple days while you're looking for a place you're still entitled to 10 days of TLE. I don't know how you would go around getting the documentation for that, but you should still get reimbursed.