• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BOOST Qusetions????

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
redmariner97 said:
And watch out for Johnny Prassel (Pre-Calc professor), if he is still there.
Had Mr. Prassel for my Calc teacher when I went to BOOST back in '94. He is by far one of the two best math teachers I've ever had...and the most entertaining! No, Mr. Prassel is one to be sought out, not avoided.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
KimberlyD said:
Problem w/ remembering names is that you never do there, it's always, "Yeah, there was this great place we stumbled on..."

So true, so true.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Steve Wilkins said:
Had Mr. Prassel for my Calc teacher when I went to BOOST back in '94. He is by far one of the two best math teachers I've ever had...and the most entertaining! No, Mr. Prassel is one to be sought out, not avoided.

Absolutely! He is by far, the best teacher I've ever had. Mr. Hampl is the one to be weary of....

sarnav

Newport

Bring your car, I didnt go to boost but I am from around that area and there is a ton of places to go see. I dont know how long boost/nsi is but if you will be there march/april timeframe bring a surfboard. Dont know if you do surf (figured san diego/surfing) but there are a lot of good breaks there, and it is a wat to get your mind off school. If you havent been to Boston, definitely make the trip. It is a relatively small city with an enormous amount of co-eds/bars. Good luck and study hard.

SN

etnuclearsailor

STA 21 Nuclear OC
I wish I had a car when I went to NSI. I had left it behind because I expected a new car to be delivered to a dealer while I was there, and had to leave mine behind so it could be brought for the trade in (I didn't want them to sit on my new car, they said they would sell it if I didn't pick it up and I'd have to wait again!). It turned out they didn't receive my car for a good couple of weeks after I went to NSI. I was angry about that. Anything that doesn't fit in your room can be stored in your car.

I fell in love with a sushi restaurant downtown. I don't remember the name, but there are two sushi spots downtown: the good one, and the take-out place. The good sushi spot is somewhere along the cobblestone road. without my car, sometimes I would walk downtown (after we got civilian clothes back around week 7).

fc2spyguy

pilot
Contributor
Boston/New York, in uniform, do it, you'll never regret it. Oh yeah, fleet week New York, uniform, do it.

Prassel is a great teacher, it just took a while to get used to him. I didn't mean to down Mr. Prassel he always required the best out of each of his students. I learned more from him in 3 months than I have from any other teacher, period. As most of my class would attest to, while in Prassel's class, you spend all night studing at least 2-3 hours. I never got to sleep before 0100 while at BOOST because of constant studing. I don't regret any of it and it helped prepare me for college.

Spot

11.5 years and counting boat free
I'm also scheduled to go in Feb. Are the weekends pretty much locked down or are you able to go out every weekend?

fc2spyguy

pilot
Contributor
In BOOST the weekends are yours unless you have duty. While in NSI the lib policy becomes more lax as you go.

Spot

Can you be gone for the whole weekend or do you have to check back in every night?

fc2spyguy

pilot
Contributor
BOOST you can be gone the whole weekend, NSI you can the last weekend I believe.

KimberlyD

Spot, don't buy any plane tickets or make travel plans until you get there & are told gouge specific to your class. When my husband was there he lived out in housing w/ me but still had to "check out" at the QD if he was leaving housing on the weekends, everyone who lived in barracks pretty much did what they pleased on the weekends as long as the QD knew they were out. Ofcourse, he's Commissioned & we're done now so that's old info. We know a lot of people who have gone through since & their experiences run fr "we were in total lockdown, it was like a return to bootcamp" all the way through to "we had tons of freedom, it was a great party time". Just don't commit money to anything until you know how it will be for your group.

Spot

Thanks. I was just wondering because the family is staying up here in Maine and if I was going to meet them half way, I wanted to visit more than a few hours at a time, then drive back in the same day.

Spot

Another question...
What is your (everyone's) advice on having a cell phone while at BOOST? Are the lines at the phones long as hell or is there just one pay phone or what? Need to know if I have to add another phone to my current plan so I'm not waiting for hours on end waiting to call back to the wife.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Spot said:
Another question...
What is your (everyone's) advice on having a cell phone while at BOOST? Are the lines at the phones long as hell or is there just one pay phone or what? Need to know if I have to add another phone to my current plan so I'm not waiting for hours on end waiting to call back to the wife.
Add the phone.