• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BOOST Qusetions????

Going to BOOST in Feb and NSI after BOOST. WHAT should I expect? What should I bring? What should I leave behind. Will be traveling from San Diego, should I fly and do without the POV or drive it? Please share any advice or any expiriences, greatly appreciated

KimberlyD

Where do you expect to go for College would be what would determine fly or drive for me however, if you don't take your car, make friends w/ someone who has one, you'll spend Monday through Friday looking at the Newport Bridge dreaming of the next time you're driving over it (to leave for College, to party in Warwick, Providence, Boston, all sorts of stuff).

I can't answer the what to bring questions, sorry, just a wife fr RI.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Okay, you DON'T need a full seabag. You will need your working/dress uniforms. I didn't use utilities once while there last year. You will need the Navy PT gear. No, I don't mean a t-shirt and shorts any style, but the actual stuff that says Navy and is reflective and all that good stuff. You will PT 3 times a week, mostly.

The Navy is going to pay for you to bring your car there and back. I don't see a reason not too unless you're really concerned about the mileage. Plus it's a pretty nice drive depending on the route you take. Note, parking sucked last year, and I'm sure it won't be any better this year. I don't know what a-school you went to, but the barracks are pretty much just like an a-school two man room. Closet, desk and bunk. That's it, so keep all you bring to an absolute minimum. I would minimize everything. Any other questions, let me know I'll be happy to answer.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Agree with fc2 on the car issue. Didn't do BOOST, but I did spend an academic year in good old Nimitz Hall... Take your car. By all means take your car. Busses are a nice little hike (there's one that drops you off at the gate by the NEX, but it only comes like every hour) and cabs are unreliable.

As far as stuff to do when you're in Neewport, once you get tired of drinking in Newport or Providence, Boston's a quick drive.. day trip pretty much... and NYC is a good weekend trip. The cliff walk is a good time (preferably with a girl).

BTW... Ney Hall (chow hall) sucks. Eat out. I reccommend Mama Leone's

KimberlyD

Cliff Walk has chiggers & whatever that bug is that causes lime disease. Yuck. There are even warning signs posted. Find a better way to get laid (the cruise fr downtown Newport to Fort Adams & back w/ a lobster dinner at Rocco's would probably work).

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Never said anything about it getting you laid... Its just a fun walk and talk. And I've found that The Red Parrot is the best for a date... But that's just me.

I've never seen those warning signs you mentioned... but just cuz I don't notice something doesn't mean its not there... And the bug you're thinking of is the deer tick.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
TheBubba said:
The cliff walk is a good time (preferably with a girl).
Yea, if you're seen walking the Cliff Walk with another dude....well, that's just gay.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
TheBubba said:
Ney Hall (chow hall) sucks. Eat out. I reccommend Mama Leone's

TheBubba said:
And I've found that The Red Parrot is the best for a date.

KimberlyD said:
Find a better way to get laid (the cruise fr downtown Newport to Fort Adams & back w/ a lobster dinner at Rocco's would probably work).
All of those are excellent. You will not find a better selection of food in Newport than the Red Parrot. Sounds like we need a "Best Places in Newport to Eat" thread.

KimberlyD

Yes, that would be a good thread. Anyone remember the name of the panini shop across fr the Christmas Tree Shops by Coddington? There's also that Chinese restaurant by the Christmas Tree Shops & Evelyn's for seafood out near Fall River (Timberton to be exact?) plus all the good Portueguese places around Bristol & Barrington, The Coddington Brewpub is great & there's another brewpub out in Warwick near the Saturn dealership & The Rat (Rathskellar) out near Tuckertown by URI & the chicken place out in Smithfield near the drive in movie theater... I'm hungry.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
What about the (I think it's) Greek place around the corner and up the hill from the Post Office?

Jeez... all this talk of food in and around Newport, i think I may have to take some leave for a weekend of good eatin'

KimberlyD

Yummm, I'd forgotten ab that place! Gotten so used to the Greek here in Norfolk at Orapax though, it's actually better! Davida's for pasta in Providence, magnificent! And the Johnson & Wales culinary tours, those are wonderful but it's hard to get your hands on the list, can definitely make dining at the best more affordable!

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Oh jeez... The J&W culinary tours were great... I got my mom a birthday cake from the J&W bakery... it was the student's first big cake... was amazing. The cake for my 21st was from there too... death by chocolate... I was sick for a couple days after that.

There's this place in the Italian section of Providence... some of the biggest and best calzones ever... a bit pricey, but worth every penny.

Its a shame... I can't remember any of the names of places up there.... And I was there for a few days this past July...

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Ah, Johnson & Wales... If only they had given me a bigger scholarship, I probably wouldn't be studying the FAR/AIM right now. Oh well, now I'll be able to fly AND score with the ladies, thanks to my culinary skills. Okay, so I'll be scoring with ONE lady, but it works.

KimberlyD

Bubba, my cousin's husband is one of the IT guys at J&W, they always have awesome stuff at their house (being there when he gets home fr work is AWESOME!).

Problem w/ remembering names is that you never do there, it's always, "Yeah, there was this great place we stumbled on..."

If you are going to BOOST in February be prepared to be cold. Underarmor gear would probably be a good investment when running into the wind with a negative windchill on the 3.2 mile trail three times a week while you are there. (Hope you like modified ice skating and watch out for the goose poop). Other than that bring your POV because while in BOOST you can leave the base and you will probably want to when given the chance. And watch out for Johnny Prassel (Pre-Calc professor), if he is still there.