• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BOOST Qusetions????

Country Boy

Proud Father
Spot said:
Another question...
What is your (everyone's) advice on having a cell phone while at BOOST? Are the lines at the phones long as hell or is there just one pay phone or what? Need to know if I have to add another phone to my current plan so I'm not waiting for hours on end waiting to call back to the wife.
Concur with Steve, the lines were pretty much nonexistant, but the cell phone was much easier b/c you didn't have to deal with phone cards and you can get voicemail and stuff. Depending on where you are in the building determines whether or not you'll actually get reception inside, some rooms have great reception, others don't.

Spot

11.5 years and counting boat free
Cell pone. Check.
Another one, how does leave work once you get into college? Do you have to take leave every holiday or is it just a "school vacation?" And if that is the case, do you just keep bankin up leave the whole time you are in school, only to have the stuff over 60 days taken from you every October?
(Sorry if I am bombarding you all with questions. I'm the new guy to this STA-21 deal).

etnuclearsailor

STA 21 Nuclear OC
I'm not sure if this is universal policy, but here at Maritime, we have to muster twice a week during extended breaks, unless we take leave. The Navy doesn't tend to like anyone getting more than four days off without burning leave.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
It's definitely not universal. Each unit has their own policy. At UW-Madison we were here 5 days a week for 3 hours doing some work that needed to be done during the holiday break. If you want to take leave you can, but the work we did wasn't anything tough, and I wasn't going anywhere so I didn't bother. Likely you will see some arrangement like the one where or at SUNY Maritime, I doubt you'll find that you get the entire time off anywhere. The unit has to account that you're alive and well sometime :)

And no reason to apologize for anything, just be ready to answer the questions next year :)

Spot

11.5 years and counting boat free
Thanks. I just found out Monday that I am 100% good to go. My Anthro measurements got kicked back by NOMI/NAMI a few weeks ago because the people at branch medical didn't use the big wooden contraption that they use to measure your arms and legs. I suppose NAMI thought I was some weird looking person dragging my knuckles around the hangar or something. But we got that all fixed up and should get orders sometime next week. It's getting down to the wire because I have to be at BOOST on Feb 19 to start on the 20th.

Ex Rigger

pilot
Spot said:
Cell pone. Check.
Another one, how does leave work once you get into college? Do you have to take leave every holiday or is it just a "school vacation?" And if that is the case, do you just keep bankin up leave the whole time you are in school, only to have the stuff over 60 days taken from you every October?
(Sorry if I am bombarding you all with questions. I'm the new guy to this STA-21 deal).
Just to add to what the other guys said, it goes unit to unit. At Texas A&M we never ran leave chits and never mustered during holidays. If we had off 30 days for Christmas then we had off 30 days for Christmas. Now if you were flying off to Europe or San Diego you were expected to run a leave chit.