• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Bonhomme Richard fire

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
hopefully that means the fire pumps are working.
Is it enough by mere fact? The pressure in Main Fire matters... But they surely got the fire under control for now, thanks God and Sierra crews.

Reminds me of the helo scene in the Chernobyl docu series.

Indeed. Good thing they are not the subjects of radiation. All five helo crews who were over Chernobyl for first three days, 10 officers and 5 sergeants, were all dead at the end of May 1986.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
The CDO and EDO are going to get raked over the coals for this. My guess is that hot work (welding, grinding, etc.) was being performed and the contractors cut corners or didn't follow procedure properly. We'll likely see a full post-mortem in the EDO community in a few months to capture lessons learned and prevent future issues.
It's actually really hard to light a major fire like this with hot work by accident. That was the suspected cause of the Miami fire and they couldn't reproduce it in a lab. Turns out most things on ships are fire resistant. You basically would need to have the sparks hit some kind of fuel.

A hot work fire of this magnitude would also require two people to completely blew off the fire watch requirement and not have an extinguisher immediately on hand. If someone is going to be that malicious then the CDO and EDO aren't going to stop them.

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

It's actually really hard to light a major fire like this with hot work by accident. That was the suspected cause of the Miami fire and they couldn't reproduce it in a lab. Turns out most things on ships are fire resistant. You basically would need to have the sparks hit some kind of fuel.

A hot work fire of this magnitude would also require two people to completely blew off the fire watch requirement and not have an extinguisher immediately on hand. If someone is going to be that malicious then the CDO and EDO aren't going to stop them.

It sounds from the brief this morning the fire started where contractors had staged a lot of items in tri-walls, lots of flammable items, if it was from welding someone didn't check what was around them well enough.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
It sounds from the brief this morning the fire started where contractors had staged a lot of items in tri-walls, lots of flammable items, if it was from welding someone didn't check what was around them well enough.
It boggles the mind but right now anything is a possibility. This is right up there with walking under a crane and getting crushed because it dropped the load. Who knows. But disasters often follow patterns from previous, similar disasters...

tarjas

Alooo-haaa
None
Standby for safety stand downs coming for all ships, particually big decks in the yards. Can't help but imagine this scenario with a CVN instead of a Gator... USS Last Ship conducted mid patrol CMAV in FDNF with weaps and gas onboard. Work scope was very limited but the risk is always there. Can not fathom how a similar scenario would play out with the added complexity of a potential issues in the plant to go along with the fire. Heartbreaking to watch. Guessing the CDO is an O-4? can't imagine there are enough O5s to go around...

exNavyOffRec

It boggles the mind but right now anything is a possibility. This is right up there with walking under a crane and getting crushed because it dropped the load. Who knows. But disasters often follow patterns from previous, similar disasters...
I was just quoting was was given in the past few briefs.

one brief said where it started.
one brief talked about all the items from the contractors down in the area the fire started.

info from a few sailors was leaked that welding had been occurring in the area where the fire started.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thought of the day: San Dog’s personal injury bar has to be drooling at the thought of the JAGMAN investigation getting released.

I’m hearing that the smoke cloud has been hanging around greater San Diego, and I’m betting as soon as any implication of liability gets released to the public, there’s going to be a mother of a class-action lawsuit alleging it caused or exacerbated every non-COVID cough and sniffle in the entire city.