• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Bonhomme Richard fire

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Aviators will now be looked at for ship command :D
This already occurs. Carrier and LHD COs need to have sufficient time in command at sea prior to taking command of the big deck. This translates to a command tour of an amphib prior to fleeting up to XO of a big deck.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
I know. I should've specified CRUDES.
Don’t forget to send 13X0s to command LCS, too. Yall will have fun ;)

In all seriousness, I *think* this is how USCG operates: any USCG officer can take command afloat of any USCG vessel. Cutterman is obviously their SWO-like designator.

Last edited:

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
An excellent ProPublica article on the USS Bonhomme Richard investigation: link.

(thanks to @FormerRecruitingGuru for jogging my memory)
Throughout the article it makes a fatal flaw by implying that two investigations are at odds with each other when they aren't.

The command investigation didn't comment on the source of the blaze, and it blatantly says so in the report. It comments on a slew of factors that increased the severity of a fire after it started to burn.

The criminal investigation is an investigation into the actual cause of the fire.

Two things can simultaneously be true: it's possible that the initial cause of the BHR fire was arson, and that the total loss of the ship was due to poor damage control equipment maintenance and training.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Throughout the article it makes a fatal flaw by implying that two investigations are at odds with each other when they aren't.

The command investigation didn't comment on the source of the blaze, and it blatantly says so in the report. It comments on a slew of factors that increased the severity of a fire after it started to burn.

The criminal investigation is an investigation into the actual cause of the fire.

Two things can simultaneously be true: it's possible that the initial cause of the BHR fire was arson, and that the total loss of the ship was due to poor damage control equipment maintenance and training.
Yeah, but that's a level of nuance the average American struggles with nowadays. They need to be spoon-fed who the hero and the villain are, so they can shriek about them on social media. And preferably have the hero be from their political party and the villain be from the other one.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Yeah, but that's a level of nuance the average American struggles with nowadays. They need to be spoon-fed who the hero and the villain are, so they can shriek about them on social media. And preferably have the hero be from their political party and the villain be from the other one.
Okay. I was just pointing out that I wouldn't call it an 'excellent article' due to a major flaw in its central premise.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
But this is the reporter's responsibility to thread that needle, and in so many of these stories (especially from ProPublica), they fail to do so. They did a story recently on sexual assault perps and why there isn't more pre-trial confinement. They take one or two worst-case anecdotes, then imply that those cases are broadly representative.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
But this is the reporter's responsibility to thread that needle, and in so many of these stories (especially from ProPublica), they fail to do so.
Perhaps I'm giving too much credit, but I'd go further than 'failed to do so.' I think that they are preying on fundamental misunderstandings of the application of law, and emotional desire to want to 'stick it to the man' paired with a perception that leaders/management too often 'gets away scott free.'

If you own a small business, and I light the building on fire by launching a bottle rocket into your door on the 4th of July, can I use the fact that your dryall wasn't up to fire code, that you had papers adrift, or that your fire extinguisher on site wasn't charged as a legal defense? No, no I cannot.

Last edited:

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Perhaps I'm giving too much credit, but I'd go further than 'failed to do so.' I think that they are praying on fundamental misunderstandings of the application of law, and emotional desire to want to 'stick it to the man' paired with a perception that leaders/management too often 'gets away scott free.'

If you own a small business, and I light the building on fire by launching a bottle rocket into your door on the 4th of July, can I use the fact that your dryall wasn't up to fire code, that you had papers adrift, or that your fire extinguisher on site wasn't charged as a legal defense? No, no I cannot.
Agree. I don't know enough about the author to ascribe any particular motive other than what sells and will generate clicks for their parent company, though general themes of "government bad" do seem fairly pervasive. The guy who did the Fat Leonard podcast - who actually did do a fairly good job of telling the basic story, just couldn't help but dip into all of the themes you listed, and really overplayed the "scandalous" aspects of the story to make it more dramatic than it actually was.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Agree. I don't know enough about the author to ascribe any particular motive other than what sells and will generate clicks for their parent company, though general themes of "government bad" do seem fairly pervasive. The guy who did the Fat Leonard podcast - who actually did do a fairly good job of telling the basic story, just couldn't help but dip into all of the themes you listed, and really overplayed the "scandalous" aspects of the story to make it more dramatic than it actually was.
Speaking of which… has that fat piece of shit been extradited from Venezuela yet?