• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Boeing Crosswind Testing Video

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
Adding to A4s picture, some pics of Kai Tak getting torn up

1998 (before closure)
02223882gd.jpg

2004/05
05541260ld.jpg

08907136he.jpg

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
mules83 said:
as sub guys in movies would say.....DIVE DIVE DIVE!

Just for the record, it's "DIVE, DIVE." I'm surprised John has come by and straightened you out. ;)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
mules83 said:
...video(1) ....the video was more of getting back on centerline...

And ... it was flown by KAL, nearly-universally (and derisively) known as the "Gooks of Hazard" ... absolutely some of the WORST pilots in the Far East. Right up there in the top 1-2-3, for sure. ONLY fly KAL as a last resort, and then at your own peril. Hey!! It's a free country (last time I checked) and it's my opinion.... :)

Kai Tak, especially the IGS to 13, was the bogeyman for many (most?) guys ... but for me?

My middle name used to be Kai Tak-- don't ask what it is now. I decided early in the game that it was NOT going to get the best of me --- so I ratched down on the approaches into Kai Tak (old Hong Kong Intl') and made them my b!tch, so to speak, instead of the other way around. I ALWAYS liked getting the approaches into there, just to beat the beast into submission and "be somebody". Most guys were more than happy to give me that leg, so it all worked out.

I have been chased by many typhoons across the S. China Sea only to shoot the IGS to 13--- quite the culmination of a busy day. That's the approach most of you reference when you think: Hong Kong and wild approaches. Actually, you're probably safer in the belly of the typhoon than shooting a night/IFR IGS to 13 @ old Kai Tak.

Coincidently, the 13 IGS @ Kai Tak was my :eek: FIRST :eek: approach and landing as a 747 F/O in the Orient. About 400' above minimums with a bad overshooting X-wind on turn to final--- obvilously, the Captain ordered me to burn my uniform after landing ... lucky for me my old Navy-days tailor is still in business in Hong Kong. :)

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Brett327 said:
That statement made my fvcking week! :D

Brett

Mine too. :icon_lol: Quick question: Do commercial aircraft has a dial or knob that allows them to orient the landing gear in a crosswind like the B-52 does?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
wink said:
The MD-80 series will program in rudder to align the nose with the runway but it doesn't drop the wing to slip. That is proably why the lower autoland x-wind limit. Without a slip or crab the aircraft would blow off the centerline in a high wind.
Yeah I mis-spoke earlier in the thread when I said the DC-10 maintained the crab to touchdown. The was a programed decrab maneuver that happened sequentially after the flare but it would never finish in time. We always landed with a sideload and it finished straightening up on the runway, normally got us straight right as the nose wheel touched. It was a weird twisting feeling on touchdown.

I hate autolands.....they're a necessary evil but so unnatural to trust an autopilot that much....

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
AllAmerican75 said:
Mine too. :icon_lol: Quick question: Do commercial aircraft has a dial or knob that allows them to orient the landing gear in a crosswind like the B-52 does?
As far as I know - no. But I heard the A380 might.

plc67

pilot
In the DC8 you had to crab until in the flare and be doing the aileron/rudder dance kicking the airplane straight and not using too much aileron lest you get a pod. On a high wind day the cockpit could be out over the grass until you'd start your correction. Supposedly the gear could take a crab landing but I wasn't brave enough to try that one.
The 767 is like a big Cessna 172 and in all but the worst cases the wing down top rudder method works just fine. Whoever designed the 767 definitely graduated in the top half of his/her class.