• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Boeing Crosswind Testing Video

ATLien

Can I talk to you, Michael?
pilot
So, I guess this is where they come up with that old max demonstrated crosswind number. And I always thought they got it from an Ouiji board....

http://www.pumaslog.addr.com/Pousos.wmv

Hope you're good on your Portugese. I believe the first few slides talk about: It's not everyday that we find calm winds. Or what do we ask (?) in these situations...Fly.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Actually, I thought the max cross wind componant was determined by how much rudder was available to bring the aircraft around into a slip so it was lined up with the runway. These aircraft are all being landed in a full crab, nothing any line pilot would do on purpose. Seems like the objective is to see how much side load the gear can take. It must take some real discipline to not instinctively bring the nose around just before touch down.

NavyLonghorn

wink said:
Actually, I thought the max cross wind componant was determined by how much rudder was available to bring the aircraft around into a slip so it was lined up with the runway. These aircraft are all being landed in a full crab, nothing any line pilot would do on purpose. Seems like the objective is to see how much side load the gear can take. It must take some real discipline to not instinctively bring the nose around just before touch down.

Hrm. Its my understanding that alot of airliners/airline pilots use the crab method, rather that wing down, top rudder method. Ever seen those pictures of the 747's somewhere in Asia? Crazyness.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
NavyVance said:
Hrm. Its my understanding that alot of airliners/airline pilots use the crab method, rather that wing down, top rudder method. Ever seen those pictures of the 747's somewhere in Asia? Crazyness.

And then kick it out

Lawman

None
Im having flashbacks of my PPL Checkride...... Man that was fun though. And yes, I passed it.

NavyLonghorn

Lawman said:
Im having flashbacks of my PPL Checkride...... Man that was fun though. And yes, I passed it.

Lol. Hope you were not in a light single engine in these winds. That would be unfourtinate.

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
NavyVance said:
Lol. Hope you were not in a light single engine in these winds. That would be unfourtinate.

with a tailwheel.........that makes for a bad day

lots and lots of ground looping

Lawman

None
NavyVance said:

Not this bad, but damn if it wasnt the coolest landing I ever made at that point. Heck Id never even flown in a day that windy before, or made a landing with less then 30 degrees flaps.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
NavyVance said:
Hrm. Its my understanding that alot of airliners/airline pilots use the crab method, rather that wing down, top rudder method.
Thats because the with the engines under the wing, you will scrap then on the runway if you land with too much bank. I think is was a 7 or 8 degree limit in the DC-10 but I can't recall for sure.

During an autoland, the DC-10 would maintain the crab all the way untill touch down. We had a lower autoland crosswind limitation to keep from overstressing the gear.

The other reason airlines crab is it is earier on the passengers. They can feel the wing down top rudder and it looks funny out of the windows. It tends to freak them out sometimes.

Most guys will crab to the flare, kick it out and than (depending on the strength of the crosswind) apply a little wing down if needed for the touchdown.

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
Good video of showing a crab and then the kickout. Im sure a lot of you have seen this before but still....i am the 'video posting whore'

video

the 747's crab in the video was more of getting back on centerline.....but the same principal of kicking out applies

another video found with a little too much crosswind for landing (look at the tree blowing in the lower corner of the video in the first couple of seconds to get a feel of the wind)

video2

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Stop trying to give yourself your own reputation- cessna boy. I'm sure Fly has the video subsection of post-whore covered as well.

NavyLonghorn

Mefesto said:
I've landed a Seneca in the middle of a tropical storm (because I had to) and a STOL 182 in thunderstorm (bad day)... like Fly said, timing, and technique.

Since the crosswind limitations are based on rudder effectiveness... does the crab with the kickout increase the crosswind limitation on an aircraft signifigantly?

Also, if it does, isnt their a risk of straightening it out with the kickout, and then not having enough rudder to keep the plane on the runway with wheels on the ground?