• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Body fat % taping question

Pags

N/A
pilot
Others have hit on it, there's no secret. Eat less, move more. You can cite all the weird fad diets you want but if you eat 1500 calories of bud light, Doritos, and white bread you'll lose weight. You'll lose more weight if you do some type of cardio on top of eating only 1500 calories. Easy way to cut calories: use the nutritional info on the box and measuring cups. stop drinking calories like juice, creamer, non diet sodas, etc. make your own meals and brown bag it. Eat out once a week vice 10 times. Use the money you saved to buy yourself some new skinny jeans.

lusos

A man's gotta eat
Hey Guys,

So as an update, I have been running like a crazed lunatic and eating fairly lean. The issue I'm having is that I'm still hovering around 185 lbs (at 67", the chart says 181 max). I feel very confident in achieving all of the set run/situp/pushup/swin goals, but I'm just not losing weight.

Of course, I am not ultra strict but I am eating within reason. No fries, low amounts of a carbs, no sugar, no beer, etc.

If I show up to OCS above the 181lb weight, but still under the 39" taping, will they kick me out? I'm getting a bit worried at this stage.

jackjack

Be strict with yourself, no sugars, no starches, it's that simple and hard. no..just one won't hurt.
As you now know when you cut carbs, you don't get so hungry. Keep cutting carbs and increasing good fats.
or follow this plan, it's proven to work.
http://au.atkins.com/new-atkins/the-program/phase-1-induction.html .

or do the gastric bypass diet with 3 diet shakes and a plate of salad a day.
https://www.ucsfhealth.org/education/dietary_guidelines_after_gastric_bypass/
For the first two months following surgery, your calorie intake should be between 300 and 600 calories a day, with a focus on thin and thicker liquids.
Daily caloric intake should not exceed 1,000 calories.</p>Recommended Meal Plan for Six Months Post-Surgery and Beyond
Continue consuming 900 to 1,000 calories per day

Last edited:

Farva01

BKR
pilot
Be strict with yourself, no sugars, no starches, it's that simple and hard. no..just one won't hurt.
As you now know when you cut carbs, you don't get so hungry. Keep cutting carbs and increasing good fats.
or follow this plan, it's proven to work.
http://au.atkins.com/new-atkins/the-program/phase-1-induction.html .

or do the gastric bypass diet with 3 diet shakes and a plate of salad a day.
https://www.ucsfhealth.org/education/dietary_guidelines_after_gastric_bypass/
For the first two months following surgery, your calorie intake should be between 300 and 600 calories a day, with a focus on thin and thicker liquids.
Daily caloric intake should not exceed 1,000 calories.</p>Recommended Meal Plan for Six Months Post-Surgery and Beyond
Continue consuming 900 to 1,000 calories per day

That is terrible advice for an active person needing to train. Showing up to OCS with adrenal fatigue will work out really well...

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...The issue I'm having is that I'm still hovering around 185 lbs (at 67", the chart says 181 max).

or do the gastric bypass diet with 3 diet shakes and a plate of salad a day....For the first two months following surgery, your calorie intake should be between 300 and 600 calories a day...

Uhhh, the guy is 4 pounds over the weight limit, not a severely obese person. Going on a starvation diet is pretty stupid advice.

For lusos, taping is not a big deal at all in the real Navy, not sure about OCS though and hopefully someone can chime in about that.

jackjack

@Farva01 , @Flash

why? @lusos is saying what he is doing isn't working and he's right. Exercising like running, doesn't lose weight. Studies show a reduced BMI of 1% over 6 months.

LCHF/keto/new atkins, is a well known way of eating low carb for athletes and also weight loss. It works by reducing carbs and therefore insulin, a weight storing hormone. It uses healthy fats to replace the reduced carbs. It then primarily uses fat for energy. Without getting into blood tests for insulin resistance, thyroid or leptin. It would be one of the best COTS

last resort, 600 cal a day food replacement drinks and vegetables/salad. Till the weight is gone, it will probably a week or two. The advantage of this is that it is very controlled and doesn't need any knowledge about food. Again it's a well established, well researched method. Safely used long term, for severely obese people.

Last edited:

Farva01

BKR
pilot
@Farva01 , @Flash

why? @lusos is saying what he is doing isn't working and he's right. Exercising like running, doesn't lose weight. Studies show a reduced BMI of 1% over 6 months.

LCHF/keto/new atkins, is a well known way of eating low carb for athletes and also weight loss. It works by reducing carbs and therefore insulin, a weight storing hormone. It uses healthy fats to replace the reduced carbs. It then primarily uses fat for energy. Without getting into blood tests for insulin resistance, thyroid or leptin. It would be one of the best COTS

last resort, 600 cal a day food replacement drinks and vegetables/salad. Till the weight is gone, it will probably a week or two. The advantage of this is that it is very controlled and doesn't need any knowledge about food. Again it's a well established, well researched method. Safely used long term, for severely obese people.

First the post started with a question about taping and you jumped in with diet advice. Thread drift check.
Second, I don't disagree with your initial posts, but with no detailed background about what his actual caloric intake and exercise programs more information is needed to give actual good advice
Finally, you jumped the shark with the 600 calorie a day. He is not obese and he is prepping for OCS, which means he needs to feed himself appropriately to be able to perform at the higher intensity that OCS will require. An ultra low calorie diet is just going to screw up his system in the other direction as it tries to figure out what is going on.

jackjack

@Farva01 , I hope this will make myself clearer to you, but in anycase this is my last post on the thread. Other to answer questions addressed to me by Lusos.

I would read my post again and now restating that Ketogenic is a good way to train. Even for 100ml endurance athletes, who have exceeded their personal bests and set new course records, through LCHF ketogenic..
http://uk.businessinsider.com/high-fat-low-carb-diet-athletic-performance-marathon-2016-11?r=US&IR=T

I addressed Lusos concern of not losing weight. I also said this LCHF/keto is COTS and isn't an individual plan, which would need blood tests, at least.

As to Lusco's final point of 39" taping. I didn't answer or comment on that, it's out of my field of knowledge. The above will however, reduce visceral fat and waist circumference.
At a last resort, it could be a low calorie diet.