• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Blues Video

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I just did some research and was surprised at how many Alphas are still in use, but then again I couldn't find a date of that publication. They have to be on their last leg. Also, it would be interesting to see maintenance reports of the average operational Alpha squadrons vs. Blues. Though I have no evidence of this, logically it would seem that the Blues would see more stress related problems than the average squadron. I mean with 68 actual performances a year, not to mention countless practices in between...But I don't know..

It's not as though the rest of the fleet jets are doing all their flying straight & level at 1G. We bend our 30 year old Prowlers around as much as we can - because it's fun and tactically useful. I'm sure the Hornet guys are no different. The blues aren't doing anything that radical from an FLE perspective, and I would also guess that their jets accumulate less hours in a given year than a fleet jet does.

Brett

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
I would also guess that their jets accumulate less hours in a given year than a fleet jet does.

I don't know. Per plane the angels may log more because of their cross country flying to get to all the different shows.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't know. Per plane the angels may log more because of their cross country flying to get to all the different shows.

Looking at their 2007 schedule, most of the shows are within an easy 2.0 (or less) of each other. Not really a significant number of accumulated hours, given that they move only once/week, on average.

Brett

Junior

pilot
There are still squadrons flying the A+ model hornets.

Brett
A+ is a very real possibility for Marines. I think -115 and -312 in Beaufort are both A+ squadrons. Not that it matters much, the cockpit is essentially the same.

HuggyU2

None
Last year, BA#7 was at the Mather Airshow, and it was unattended on the Friday morning prior. We went over to put some U-2 zaps in the wheel wells (didn't want to do anything that the public would see). The wheel wells were so oily with oil/hydro fluid that we couldn't get any zaps to stick. First time that's happened.
As for stress, the delta isn't really G-ing it up that often. And the solos probably don't stress it anymore than someone would on a BFM hop. I'd guess those jets are actually babied more than most.

phrogpilot73

We went over to put some U-2 zaps in the wheel wells (didn't want to do anything that the public would see). The wheel wells were so oily with oil/hydro fluid that we couldn't get any zaps to stick. First time that's happened.
I'm guessing you've never tried to zap a helo, huh? If it's not leaking - it's empty. ;)