• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Blue Angels - Victims of Budget Cuts?

CAMike

None
Contributor
I can't think a single program that effects the Navy in a more universal way than the Blue Angels. Someone at "Corporate" needs to review the big picture in this particular case. If this moves forward it will have consequences across the board.

O-7's, Don't bend over because it's a good career decision. This issue is more important than any one individual. The actual dollars spent can't be run though a calculator to determine exact "good will and recruiting" numbers.

Your thoughts?

http://www.military.com/news/articl...-into-era-of-budget-questions.html?ESRC=eb.nl

jmcquate

Contributor
Only one lefty, "Laura Peterson, a spokeswoman for the Washington-based group Taxpayers for Common Sense" is quoted as wanting to shut the team down. Not gonna happen.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
$37M is decimal dust in the Pentagon budget. They're worth at least that in terms of advertising, if we had to make up the positive press they gather with paid TV. Hundreds of thousands see them every year.

tomcatfan

Final Select OCS 25 MARCH SNA
I highly doubt that this would happen, but I'm sure that teacher in SF would be thrilled about this :rolleyes:

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
Maybe we can get the USAF to chip in since everyone thinks they are USAF anyways... Plus, the USAF never seems to be hurting for funds. Maybe we can play nice and they will share?

Edit: (Even for the target audience, who know that the Blues are Navy. I am willing to bet a fair amount of USAF pilots saw the Blues at some point in their childhood to kick off the dream).

How about cutting the Thunderbirds?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Only one lefty, "Laura Peterson, a spokeswoman for the Washington-based group Taxpayers for Common Sense" is quoted as wanting to shut the team down. Not gonna happen.
Whenever anyone on either side of the aisle talks about "common sense" and "reasonable" laws, it's time to watch your wallet.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I could see part of the Blues' budget getting cut back, but I don't see them going away.

(I wonder how much of their training could be accomplished in "high fidelity simulators?" /sarcasm)

robav8r

None
Contributor
I wonder how much of their training could be accomplished in "high fidelity simulators?" /sarcasm

You have no idea . . . . has anyone seen the new Integrated Visual Environment Maintenance Trainers (IVEMT's) hitting the fleet? Training maintenance guys how to turn wrenches in a virtual environment on 65" plasma screens. Virtual training in all areas within DoD is exploding.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I could see part of the Blues' budget getting cut back, but I don't see them going away.

They run a pretty bare-bones operations already, I think all but one of their birds are very used up A/B's and they work out of an old TRACOM hangar they share with VT-86, not sure how much more they could realistically cut bak without affecting them significantly.

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
They run a pretty bare-bones operations already, I think all but one of their birds are very used up A/B's and they work out of an old TRACOM hangar they share with VT-86, not sure how much more they could realistically cut bak without affecting them significantly.

Two words........Smart Perdiem.

I am sure that the travel budget is a big part of the Blue's budget. They could go for government messing and probably save at least $50 per a person per a day while on the road. It all adds up.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Two words........Smart Perdiem.

I am sure that the travel budget is a big part of the Blue's budget. They could go for government messing and probably save at least $50 per a person per a day while on the road. It all adds up.

I am going to hazard a guess that their fuel is probably a lot more than their per diem. Small problem with government mess too, a lot of places they go don't have it.

Frankly I was a bit impressed at how low-budget their operation is the first time I saw it, drastically different than what I have heard about the T'birds.