• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Blue Angels Aviators Tours Extended

ssnspoon

Get a brace!
pilot
I feel for them, really I do. But why are they any more important than the average warfighter? We have easily 10+ pilots at the squadron right now who had cruises canceled. Where are they going to be in a year when they have to rotate with less than half the experience of a "standard" fleet LT. Would you want a 600 hr aircraft commander with <200 HAC hours teaching in the FRS? HT's? I am not trying to start a political argument, or anything here. It just seems like these shenanigans in DC will produce VERY long and far reaching, complicated repercussions.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
I feel for them, really I do. But why are they any more important than the average warfighter? We have easily 10+ pilots at the squadron right now who had cruises canceled. Where are they going to be in a year when they have to rotate with less than half the experience of a "standard" fleet LT. Would you want a 600 hr aircraft commander with <200 HAC hours teaching in the FRS? HT's? I am not trying to start a political argument, or anything here. It just seems like these shenanigans in DC will produce VERY long and far reaching, complicated repercussions.

One thing I try to do is never begrudge someone else if they get a good deal. The Navy, like life, is unfair.

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
F14D dudes went to be FRS instructors with 650ish hours in the Tomcat, SWATSLANT guys too... VF2 guys would get their SFWT level 3 stuff signed off for both the pilot and RIO when they flew together, one would do the brief, fly together, the other would do the debrief... just wasn't enough D parts to make the flying hours happen... still not sure how they got their Division leads. omenie, domenie... poof.

Harrier guys got pulled out of fleet squadrons very junior during the redstripe days to go VT-Js... we called em SuperSergrads... it all worked out. Next budget cut target: USNA.

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
I'm glad I'm retired....

Glad I'm simply OUT ...but did enjoy my ten year tour back (1958 - 1968) when it was (seemingly) a hell of a lot better than today's Navy.

Had damn little time then for today's nonsense ...fighting the "Cold War" on two fronts (passive ECM with VQ-2 , later a qualified SIOP pilot) ...then the "hot war" in 'Nam. Little or no time to quibble over uniforms, boots, sequestration, dying O'Clubs, DADT, flight suits vs uniform, flight jackets,(when/where) etc.

HuggyU2

None
But why are they any more important than the average warfighter? blah blah blah
Honestly? Do you know anyone that's served on a demo team? "They" are not choosing this path. It is being decided in the "best interest of the Service". Whether they "want it" or not. Are you familiar with this concept?
So, are they "more important"? Well, I don't know. But apparently the Navy feels that to keep the Blue Angels viable for the 2014 show season, they need to extend them an extra year.
We are talking two pilots. This isn't the end of the world.

ssnspoon

Get a brace!
pilot
Wow, some take this a bit personally...and how did I get misquoted? I was mostly hoping to incite intelligent discussion regarding the possible long term effects that extending/not extending a tour could have both on the viability of said person's career and their continued usefulness to the Navy. I know there are plenty of members who have served through similar periods of abstract uncertainty over the years who might have some insight into these actions. It was absolutely NOT my intention to insult the Blues or any other community. In fact, I believe we are doing America a disservice by canceling air show attendance. It is my opinion that it remains one of our best recruiting/outreach tools which is especially important in this time of downsizing coupled with economic recovery where many will decide to leave the military. I absolutely respect the Blue Angels and anyone voluntarily serving their country.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
You did not get misquoted. You do not in itcite discussion by asking "why are they more important than the average warfighter?"
A better question would be, "what do you feel the impact on future instructors and their students if the flight hours of today's JO's is cut so far back that they are finishing their first tour with half the flight time of their predecessors?
Short of "more flight time", what can the Navy do to mitigate this potential risk?

Those question that will cause some reflection and discussion.

Your question accuses the Blue Angles of being better than the rest of us.

The "tone" of your question is arrogant, IMO, hence the responses you've received.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Look, the Lead for the Blue Angels said it best: http://www.blueangels.navy.mil/media/news/20130409_001.pdf
The cancellation ensures money goes to the troops who need it, but they aren't done forever. You can't just "restart" the Blue Angels, they have a very specific skill set that is extremely finite and requires a high level of practice to maintain proficiency. You can't just get 7 Hornet pilots together and hand out a manual, you need the guys that have done the job there to teach...this ensures that will happen. A lot easier to find a LAMPS HAC or P-3 PPC/MC lying around than BA#1...
Pickle

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I feel for them, really I do. But why are they any more important than the average warfighter? blah blah blah...
The tone of your note... like it was the Blues personally felt they were more important. The blame lies entirely on DC Pols... not big Navy, nor the Blues.
Wow, some take this a bit personally...and how did I get misquoted?
You're a bit oversensitive... there was no misquote of substance.
I absolutely respect the Blue Angels and anyone voluntarily serving their country.
As do we all, The Blues training required is more rigid/time consuming than the fleet pilots. Through no fault of their own, they are handled differently. Just how it is!;)
BzB

Renegade One

None
Anyone know who we're really talking about? I'm guessing it's this year's Lead/Opposing Solo pilots, but I have no idea.

The Solos seem to be the most "frangible", skill-set-wise, of the Demo pilots. Frankly, the Boss could rotate every year without much effect..be smooth, be predictable, know the routine. Winter Training does that. #2 is normally a 2-year position, but this year's #2 needs to move on..LCDR and DH select. RW can't be that hard (my opinion). #3 normally rotates to #4 (in a perfect world), which I'm sure he can do, so #4 could roll out as well.

So…this years Boss stays for one more year; #3 rolls to 4; #7 rolls to #2 or #3, Solos stay. Gaps are filled by this year's "newbies", assuming there wil be newbies this year.

Better data or info? Not critical to national defense, but I'm interested enough to wanna know.

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."
Anyone know who we're really talking about?

As far as the six demo pilots go - #2, #4 (USMC CAPT), and #5 were due to rotate at the end of '13; #3 and #6 are the "new guys" this year. Like you mentioned #3 normally rolls to #4. Normal solo progression is #7 to #6 then #5 so it's a three year tour. Diamond guys normally stay diamond guys and solos stay solo. #4 is the training officer for the diamond so the year flying in the diamond as #3 is good experience. In a year (like '13) when there is a new Boss, #2 trains the Boss during the winter. From what I read the move is safety motivated - can't find fault with that - keep the guys who have trained over the winter and let them get back in form for next year. Additional time on the team isn't a rare thing - last year's Boss was on the team for two tours after his replacement stepped aside and he was called back to take over. Hope that helps!

Flugelman

Contributor
Another note....only pilots extended. What about the "city" of support/ nonflying folks that will have their dreams/hopes squashed? I am not arguing for or against all this...just offering some input from someone that has a non flyer friend on the Blues' that will be feeling the pinch...

There are still planes to maintain, phase inspections, etc. I suspect the ground guys will stay somewhat busy, with the additional bonus of living close to the beach and more time off for golf, family, or other hobbies. Not what they signed up to do but not as bad as the loss of hours the pilots will experience. JMHO :rolleyes: