• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Blue Angels at San Francisco Fleet Week 2007

Xtndr50boom

Voted 8.9 average on the Hot-or-Not scale
152015032079f274bf18em7.jpg

There's your proof that he didn't. Please notice the wake that he's creating and where it is in relation to the bridge. It looks from that angle that he didn't even fly over the bridge, just the terrain south of it/supporting structure.

Only problem with that picture is that it's of the northern part (sausalito side) of the GGB.

PS, I was there. He didn't fly under the bridge

Brett1

Banned
A few pics and a question

Here are a few pics of one of the Blues, but in the final picture notice the clear disruption from the mid tail of the plane going downward. What is that?? Also, why are the wingtip stores flexing downward are are the always like that in flight?

Blue2.jpg

Blue3.jpg

Blue4.jpg

Blue5.jpg

Blue6.jpg

Blue7.jpg

Blue8.jpg

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
Looks like the air was getting up into compressible speeds which would change it properties and thus cause some refraction. That's my guess. Nice pics btw.

HuggyU2

None
If you're talking about the "cloud" forming in certain spots, it's due to the air flow going supersonic in that region, and forming a shock wave. I can't remember all the science involved, but you get a big change in pressure there, and the air condenses.

I have no idea why they designed the wingtip rails to angle down like that.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That looks like the normal depression angle for the LAU-7 - just the way they're built. It's a launcher for an AIM-9, not a store.

Brett

FLY_USMC

pilot
Aerodynamically it creates the least amount of drag over the majority of speed ranges to have the wingtip mounts angled down.

Alright, I googled it, but it's fun to pretend I know something.

02Navy05VT

Hypertension Anyone?
It is almost as if that jet was "photo-shopped" into that scene. Could they go supersonic in tight space like that??? I guess that's why I stay on the ground and leave the flying to you guys.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
It is almost as if that jet was "photo-shopped" into that scene. Could they go supersonic in tight space like that??? I guess that's why I stay on the ground and leave the flying to you guys.

He's not going supersonic, they aren't allowed to do that at airshows. Had he been supersonic in these pictures he would have broken all of the windows on the boats and surrounding houses/businesses.

Nose

pilot
Here's another pic of Blue Angel #5 making the sneak pass at San Francisco. Incredible, it almost doesn't look real...

That IS an awesome pic. Look just above the canopy, you can see where the area rule comes into play with the bulge in the canopy creating disturbance...

STLEngineer

pilot
Agreeing with those saying its a design characteristic.

The launcher is rotated at a weird angle, about 3 degrees down. When you combine that with the anhedral, it looks even more pronounced. Just wait til you see the ALQ-218 (tip pods) on the G from that angle, with how long they are, it looks like they're really pointing down.

If you see pics of the E/F with stores, you'll see that the wing pylons are canted outboard about 4 degrees. Just little things that look like quirks that are built in to the designs for one reason or another.