• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Blast from the past: NAVCAD

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
@Gatordev , do you even frigate, bro? :p

I don't ever recall hearing "Tattoo." I do remember hearing "Turn to, stand by for evening prayer." But maybe now it makes a lot more sense. Although admittedly, it was sometimes hard to understand the ebonics of the BM...that and the 1MC was usually sabotaged in some form.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Who wants to be a NAVCAD?

One of my co-workers bought this little gem at a yard sale. Pretty cool booklet.
Ha! Good stuff, sir...thanks for posting the booklet. :cool:

There were quite a few NAVCADs in the mix when I went through AOCS in 1986. They were VERY squared away and excelled during primary in the T-34C...and from what I remember, most of them got jets. I always admired NAVCADs. :cool:

Sky-Pig

Retired Cryptologic Warfare / Naval Flight Officer
None
My dad was a NAVCAD...I always got a kick out of the fact that he didn't finish his degree until he was a LCDR ;)

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
Not Catholic myself, so it's not a thing for me . . . but it was still a source of minor amusement to listen to some poor E-3 bumble their way through pronouncing "Eucharistic adoration is now being held in the ship's chapel."

At first I heard "Catholic Mass is being held in the ship's chapel..." as "Captain's Mast is being held in the ship's chapel..." and thought "man...no better way to make a sailor feel like they're about to get crucified than to have Jesus himself nailed to the cross right behind the Big Skipper..."

GroundPounder

My info is 30 years old, but at Ft. Riley ( old Calvary post ) they played bugle calls throughout the day. Reveille and Retreat are ( were ) common on all Army posts, but they pulled out the stops there. Did not know that it was called " Tattoo " but I've heard that one countless times.