• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Blast from the past: NAVCAD

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Who wants to be a NAVCAD?

One of my co-workers bought this little gem at a yard sale. Pretty cool booklet.

Attachments

• NAVCAD 1948_1.pdf
    5.7 MB · Views: 71

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
What is "Tattoo?" I haven't heard of that before. I think Academy types would do their B&G poem, or whatever it was called, but haven't seen "Tattoo" before.

brownshoe

Contributor
Too bad that Hugh Magee (BZB604) or Ron Marron (RonDebMar) aren't still around, they both went through the program in the early 60's. Hughie retired as a full commander, Ron got out after 10 and flew with the airlines. Both were kickass Sailors.:)

Two years of college or no college if active duty enlisted. Hugh was a blackshoe bubblehead ET and Ron was a brownshoe AT in a Phantom squadron.

Last edited:

Rockriver

pilot
I remembering hearing something like "Tattoo, tattoo, all lights out" back in the mid to late 70's, and I believe it was the Navy way of saying "shut up, turn the lights out, and hit the rack."

Thanks for posting the pamphlet. My late father was a NAVCAD in the closing months of WWII. I recall that he talked about being in the Navy, but then said he became a Marine after he began training in the F4U Corsair. This pamphlet clarifies that bit of family history for me.

My dad never flew again after his Navy/Marine service, but a lot of detailed knowledge stuck with him. I was able to give him a copy of an F4U manual some 50 years after his last flight. He told me how he was reading some minutia about minimizing engine vibrations and recalled the exact RPM range before he turned the page and saw numbers. Naval flight training has always been good.

Now where the hell are my car keys?

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
"Tattoo, Tattoo. Lights out in five minutes. Standby for the ending prayer..."
Was it ending prayer or evening prayer? There's probably more than one answer but only the "Navy answer" matters and it's probably buried in some old regs somewhere. Is it ladders, ladder wells, or ladder backs when you call away Sweepers? Aughh!

@Gatordev , do you even frigate, bro? :p

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Excellent stuff. I loved all the old aircraft images. The question is...how did they get along without NFOs?:cool:

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Was it ending prayer or evening prayer? There's probably more than one answer but only the "Navy answer" matters and it's probably buried in some old regs somewhere. Is it ladders, ladder wells, or ladder backs when you call away Sweepers? Aughh!
Not Catholic myself, so it's not a thing for me . . . but it was still a source of minor amusement to listen to some poor E-3 bumble their way through pronouncing "Eucharistic adoration is now being held in the ship's chapel."

Pags

N/A
pilot

@Gatordev , do you even frigate, bro? :p
Should read "evening prayer." DYAC.

I seem to remember "ladder backs." And something about "heaving out and trice up."

Last edited:

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Too bad that Hugh Magee (BZB604) or Ron Marron (RonDebMar) aren't still around, they both went through the program in the early 60's. Hughie retired as a full commander, Ron got out after 10 and flew with the airlines. Both were kickass Sailors.:)

The recent former CO in my reserve unit was among the last of the final iteration of NAVCAD's in the early 90's, he said there are still a small handful left both active and reserve.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
And something about "heaving out and trice up."
That's pilot code for "go back to sleep." If it seems like a distant dream then you were doing it right. :D

(Trice up means fold your rack up into the bulkhead where it'll be out of the way.)

brownshoe

Contributor
The recent former CO in my reserve unit was among the last of the final iteration of NAVCAD's in the early 90's, he said there are still a small handful left both active and reserve.
I've PM'd you with my private email 'cause I'd like to talk with him.