• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

blank

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBLang

PLC Candidate
You definitely don't have to pretend you're an allstar skydiver/student/badass to get 8's and 9's on the ASTB. I didn't. Hell I don't even have a college GPA, because I haven't started college and I got all 8's and 9's. What you need to know is basic pre-calc, basic physics (AP physics class is more than sufficient), and everthing on the Marine study guide down cold. If you have trouble with the spacial/aero related stuff try loading up Falcon 4.0 and flying around. It should become second nature after a while.
I guess what I'm trying to say is dont try to stretch the truth on the ASTB because it isn't necessary.

Borncreole

You are right about what you need to study....but you cant study for the Background portion. If you read the message it breaks down each section. I am telling you how I answered the Background section and I scored an 8 on it. You have no truth to "stretch" on a math problem, aviation nautical, or mech comp. Appreciate your inputs.

spongebob

I just answered the background info truthfully.

From what I was told your score on that section means nothing to those who will decide if you get in or not. To create that section of the test the Navy simply asked a bunch of old admirals what they did when they were kids. If you do well it is because you did like them.

cessnajet1h

Hi Borncreole,
Well, I took the ASTB form 2 today, and well, there was not too much helped anywhere else for that one, this was my first time taking the test. I did not do well, and i noticed your post about form 1 and was looking at it, can you be more explanatory with those questions, i would really appreciate it, I need to pass this test.....do you recommend tutor or ? but get back to me please....I have looked at the ARCO and the MC study guides and I felt like i knew my stuff but i guess i was wrong.....help!!

Wings

Borncreole

If you took form 2 then you can take form 1 after 30 days. I posted all but 1 of the math questions on the test (I cnat remember the last one). If you download the marine study guide on this website and study those you will have no problem with the math. There were 2 questions that were identical to the math on the study guide...even had the same answer options. There were 8 questions for the verbal but not much to them, just read and tell what you can figure out from the passage. As DBlong said you might want to use a realistic pilot game to practice with for the spatial apperceprion. I had the ARCO down cold. I studied it for a month and though I would have done better. The ARCO will help you but you need more to get 8-9 on that section. The ARCO was a better study guide for the Mechanical section as well. I studied all of the mech sections in the ARCO (army/navy/air force). If you know the Aviation nautical section in the marine guide you will do well on that part too. There are different opinions on how to answer the Background section(s). There are 2 parts. A background, then an aviation background. They are pretty much the same. I suggest you ansewr each section the same way, however you chose to answer them. Know these things for form 1 and you WILL do well on the written parts. I dont know much else to tell you for the spatial apperception. Good luck.

cessnajet1h

HI, Borncreole
Thanks for your advice, I am going to just make sure I know the MC guide to the heart, It was a very different experience to take it under real time. Anyhow, my weakest point is the math.....thanks

Wings

cessnajet1h

HI, Borncreole
Here I am again, well i just wanted to ask about the mechanical question on the MC study guide #36, the answer is C but what about if both had the same weight, which one would take more time to make one swing?...just curious,,get back.......

Wings

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
borncreole -

I had similar scores and I made it in. They look at your ASTB a lot but they look at the other stuff too. Don't get too down on yourself for not getting straight 9's. The spatial apperception part really screwed me up too. Just like you I could ace the ARCO stuff but the real test just blew my mind (and the clock - I barely got done!)

Also, they don't look at your bio score when deciding whether to select you or not. I got this straight from my recruiter. The used to look at it but not anymore. And I think you should just be honest - stretching the truth is not the same as telling the truth. Those questions are asked for a reason and lying with your answers is not cool. I'm not trying to preach at you here, just giving you my opinion.

ldbluitt

Originally posted by DBLang
You definitely don't have to pretend you're an allstar skydiver/student/badass to get 8's and 9's on the ASTB. I didn't. Hell I don't even have a college GPA, because I haven't started college and I got all 8's and 9's. What you need to know is basic pre-calc, basic physics (AP physics class is more than sufficient), and everthing on the Marine study guide down cold. If you have trouble with the spacial/aero related stuff try loading up Falcon 4.0 and flying around. It should become second nature after a while.
I guess what I'm trying to say is dont try to stretch the truth on the ASTB because it isn't necessary.
quote][/will form 1 be similiar to 2 will the marine corp study guide help me with 2 someone help expecially on the math

wildflyin69

Grad of OCS 187 Charlie Co. 3rd Plt.
You guys just need to RELAX. The test isn't that hard. I'm an English major and scored 8/9 (Marines)just by quickly reviewing some basic physics and pre-calc, and knowing a bit about aviation and nautical terms. As for the spacial apperception the ARCO book does suck, but I just made a few examples of my own showing some much more extreme banks and it worked (plus I'm a flight sim junkie). If you go in there already stressed out like borncreole seems to have been you will definately choke. Just take it easy and stay calm and you guys will do fine. (No need for tutors or anything...).

flynglthrnk

USMC PLC
Borncreole, you lied that much on your bio? you know they have your transcripts, you dork. maybe you should call the air farce

Status
Not open for further replies.