• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Blank Jet Log with Updated Fuel Card

ACowboyinTexas

Armed and Dangerous
pilot
Contributor
Do any of you other old guys remember the 200 nm Government Property Black Pen? Always enjoyed base ops at a USAF base with the Air Force guys and their wiz-wheels hectically planning their x-cntry. We'd walk up to the huge chart on the wall, pull out our 200 mile pen, put it end-to-end over the chart a few times, non-chalantly say "Yeah, we can make it" and go file our flight plan. Ah, the good ol' days.....:D

Good Lord, Zip - remember them?!? I wouldn't dream of going into an AF base Ops shop without one, even today. I can't remember how many times I've done that same bit of flight planning in A-6s and 18s. It always worked just fine if you were less than 4.5 pens... More than that and you had to hide somewhere so the zoomies couldn't see you actually checking weather, winds aloft and other such trivialities;-)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
...Ah, the good ol' days.....:D
I loved the look in the eyes of AF guys @ OPS when I'd sign my own flight plan -- toss it back across the counter at 'em, and say:

"SEE YA ... now where's my wheels to the transient line ... ?" :D

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Good Lord, Zip - remember them?!? I wouldn't dream of going into an AF base Ops shop without one, even today. I can't remember how many times I've done that same bit of flight planning in A-6s and 18s. It always worked just fine if you were less than 4.5 pens... More than that and you had to hide somewhere so the zoomies couldn't see you actually checking weather, winds aloft and other such trivialities;-)

Ok, am I considered "out dated" if I can't fly without out my pen? :eek:

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Do any of you other old guys remember the 200 nm Government Property Black Pen? Always enjoyed base ops at a USAF base with the Air Force guys and their wiz-wheels hectically planning their x-cntry. We'd walk up to the huge chart on the wall, pull out our 200 mile pen, put it end-to-end over the chart a few times, non-chalantly say "Yeah, we can make it" and go file our flight plan. Ah, the good ol' days.....:D

Harrier Math: 100 miles / 1000 lbs

MasterBates

Strangely, the 10#/mile has worked a couple aircraft I have flown. 60B it was what I planned with, E2 seems to be in the ballpark.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
B747 fuel planning WAG: 25,000#/hour ... worked every time. :)

A-6 fuel planning WAG for NUW-NKX: take off, climb to 30,000+ ... go max EGT until you get a low fuel light ... look down ... enter the break @ NKX ... worked every time.
:)

stickygdm

pilot
This thing better be good...I'm going to use it to plan my trip to KIAH tomorrow. That's right Frumby we're crazy enough to fly two Goshawks into IAH! BTW, how to I fly into IAH without getting flight violated, or run over by a bigwing?