• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Big Watch for Graduation

Brett1

Banned
Speaking of expensive watches and a major threadjack here: What is the most expensive watch you have actually seen? Not on the interweb or on TV, but actually seen in person. Personally, I saw one (I can't remember the brand, something swiss with all handmade mechanics) for $46,000 last week. It didn't have any diamonds on it or anything, just a plain watch. I also saw a blingin' Rolex with a pricetag of $63,000. Anyone else?

One of my club clients has a Rolex that is covered in Diamonds that he paid $125k for.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
One of my club clients has a Rolex that is covered in Diamonds ....
Rolex's are great watches -- I've got two and have had one for a lo-o-o-o-o-o-o-ng time. It's a Road Warrior .... both in the NAV and in civie street.

However, a man's Rolex covered in diamonds or with any diamonds = wearing a sign around one's neck (wrist?) proclaiming (loudly) that you are a pretentious pimp of an asshole. :)

Brett1

Banned
Rolex's are great watches -- I've got two and have had one for a lo-o-o-o-o-o-o-ng time. It's a Road Warrior .... both in the NAV and in civie street.

However, a man's Rolex covered in diamonds or with any diamonds = wearing a sign around one's neck (wrist?) proclaiming (loudly) that you are a pretentious pimp of an asshole. :)

Well, to each his own. My two tone sub has a Serti dial with diamonds in the face at the eighth hour positions. I bought the watch because of the face color and the diamonds just looked "right". I wear that watch for everything from riding the bike to racing the boat and it had been busted up a few times. It has served me well. I think a lot depends on the environment that you function in. I have been places where my sub makes me feel like a pauper and vice versa. My personal opinion is that a Sub would look great on the wrist of an aviator.... a reflection of the demand for perfection.

Attachments

• 22547.jpg
    22547.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 68

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Well, to each his own.....
Like you said.

I acquired a blue-face two-tone (or was it a two-face blue-tone?) SUB late in the game; it's considered my "dress up & go to the big city" watch while the GMT has been my wrist companion for decades. The only thing it ever competed with was the USGI Hamilton wind up.

temp011jb3.jpg

While purchasing the SUB I demurred on the diamonds when the salesman tried to push that option -- I told him I was a professional Aviator, not a professional pimp.

Just tryin' to help you .... :) She's beautiful, yes??? *sigh* .... I wish Rolex made cars ....

rolex2tonesubmarinerhr2.jpg

Brett1

Banned
Surely you are not calling me "a pretentious pimp of an asshole" for having a sub with a serti dial........

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Surely you are not calling me "a pretentious pimp of an asshole" for having a sub with a serti dial........
Course not ... if I was, I would; rest assured.

I don't know you .... but you're not a pretentious pimp of an asshole, are you ???
Assholes I can handle; some have even accused me of being one (I know, it's just not believable) ... I just don't subscribe to the pretentious pimp part ... :)

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I got my first expensive ($3000ish) watch during OIF 1. We were on the boat for an undetermined amount of time and we were getting tax free money with no port calls. When somebody organized a group buy with our squadron logos on the back and OIF 1 stuff on it, I figured WTF? It was only about $950 for a $3000 watch on the deal. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't have done it either.

Every squadron does these group buys, so hang around and you'll have a chance at it later when you have some money burning a hole in your pocket and no place to spend it. When you combine that with a keepsake that will last a lifetime of an organization that you give a shit about, maybe you'll change your mind.

Then again, maybe you won't. There are definitely more productive ways to spend your dough, but I'm glad that I did it.

All pretentious pimps aside....

Did the same watch deal in 2000. Got the Omega for $800 on a group deal with a buddy who was an LSO out of Atsugi.

A good deal if you get offered it. Mine with the USNFWS logo on the back.
CIMG0275.jpg

brownshoe

Contributor
Well, to each his own... I have been places where my sub makes me feel like a pauper and vice versa.

Interesting… I don’t judge a person by the baubles they wear. Seems to me no one else who has posted in this thread does either, they just care about a timepiece they can afford that works for them in their job. You were the only one to connect social class with your Rolex watch.

Ah well just me I guess… sorry I’m getting grumpy, gotta work tomorrow. We’re closed, but I’m going to Detrick in the morning to help out a Corps inspector on a project punch list. The work my company did on the project is 4.0; I’m just going in to help a friend on my own time to solve a few other problems he has on the contract. I’m sure Randy (the inspector) won’t care what watch I’ll be wearing, he’ll just be grateful for the help.

Steve:)

Junior

pilot
A4s, I have seen that watch (Submariner) in many stores. It is by far the sharpest one I have ever seen, but I can't justify spending the money at this point in my life though. If only they did make cars.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
A4s, I have seen that watch (Submariner) in many stores. It is by far the sharpest one I have ever seen, but I can't justify spending the money at this point in my life though. If only they did make cars.
Not to worry ... you will have time to get your "I've made it" watch. Suggestion: quit chasing women and you'll be able to buy it sooner ... :D

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
Not to worry ... you will have time to get your "I've made it" watch. Suggestion: quit chasing women and you'll be able to buy it sooner ... :D

What kind of advice to do you have for the guy who never stopped and, even worse, CAUGHT one of those women you speak of? :eek:;) I still want one of those watches!!!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
What kind of advice to do you have for the guy who never stopped and, even worse, CAUGHT one of those women you speak of? :eek:;).....
If I understand you correctly, t would seem that you either need to:

1. Run faster

-- or --

2. Sit down, relax, and have a beer.

When the distaff side of the family of man gets to be @ 30-35 years of age .... "they" will come lookin' for YOU. In the meantime, enjoy life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

Believe it. :)

phrogpilot73

What kind of advice to do you have for the guy who never stopped and, even worse, CAUGHT one of those women you speak of? :eek:;) I still want one of those watches!!!
Hope you married the right one. Mine likes my Omega, but wouldn't let me buy it if it wasn't discounted. She also helped me choose my Citizen, and wants me to try and get the reserve pilots on board for a Breitling purchase. Then again, she is also eyeing a $2K Rado...

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
When the distaff side of the family of man gets to be @ 30-35 years of age .... "they" will come lookin' for YOU. In the meantime, enjoy life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

Believe it. :)
OK, I'll admit it - I had to look up "distaff"...

Although, being in the 30-35 yr range, I didn't need the definition to know exactly what you're talking about. :D It's like a switch was flipped on my 30th....or maybe it was the Rolex?!?!?!?!!

MasterBates

Why do I think I am going to need a dictionary if A4s ever gets around to publishing his book.. Its like listening to Bill O'Reilly with his word of the day.