• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BIG CHANGES coming to the NROTC Scholarship

Pags

N/A
pilot
Think less of an 'appreciation' tour like our disassociated tour and more like full on SWO tours where you are a DH on an FFG or DDG. As a bonus the CV CO's haven't always been aviators either, something that seems to have caused some friction from time to time as expected.

In the Royal Navy they really do seem to take the 'URL is a URL' quite literally, not surpassing given their smaller size. We are one of the few navies left that can have many of the highly specialized fields we do.
LPD Air Boss disassociated is pretty much just that. I know of several aviator LTs who ended up as acting XO.

exNavyOffRec

As a bonus the CV CO's haven't always been aviators either, something that seems to have caused some friction from time to time as expected.

I have never heard of this, every carrier I was stationed on or visited had an aviation CO and XO, was this back when biplanes were flying off carriers :D

BOMBSonHAWKEYES

pilot
I have never heard of this, every carrier I was stationed on or visited had an aviation CO and XO, was this back when biplanes were flying off carriers :D

And it is also federal law that all carriers / air installations be commanded by a winged aviator since the 1930s.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
LPD Air Boss disassociated is pretty much just that. I know of several aviator LTs who ended up as acting XO.

A little bit different than even that, hard to explain from what little I know but it seemed like they treat pilot wings a bit like just another qual and not a completely seperate community like we do. Might change with their two new CV's coming on-line.

I think he's talking about Her Majesty's CVs, not ours.

Yup!

CharlieMike

Wannabe
As someone who's an up and coming applicant and will most likely be a liberal arts major, I have to ask: With this change, will it still be more difficult to get a scholarship as a tier III major? Before now, some 80% or so of scholarships were awarded to tier I and II majors, but now that it seems like they're sorting them into two different categories (full pay vs. $10-20k depending on major), is it still going to be extremely hard to get a 20k scholarship or however much as a liberal arts major?

Pags

N/A
pilot
A little bit different than even that, hard to explain from what little I know but it seemed like they treat pilot wings a bit like just another qual and not a completely seperate community like we do.
So you mean they'd go to a ship and be the NAV, the First, or some traditional boat job unrelated to Air.

Vicious

Do a Barrel Roll!!!!
IMO, a STEM degree is much more valuable in today's world and generally, have more practical uses.

I'd also like to add

Mathematics: the application and manipulation of logic

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So you mean they'd go to a ship and be the NAV, the First, or some traditional boat job unrelated to Air.

From what I understand, yes. They often do a tour on a FFG/DDG/etc. just like a SWO, at least most of our guys do a disassociated tour on a ship with a flat deck.

Renegade One

None
From what I understand, yes. They often do a tour on a FFG/DDG/etc. just like a SWO, at least most of our guys do a disassociated tour on a ship with a flat deck.
I know this paradigm is just foreign (no pun intended…) to our experience, but I'm thinking it's probably a good thing in the long haul.

Not necessarily recommending it for the USN, you understand…we'd fuck it up by the numbers and disadvantage those who took that path.

RiseR 25

This looks like the way they want to go with NROTC, this is definitely a change from what the guys I knew back at Riddle had to go through with their host unit:

http://www.nrotc.navy.mil/scholarship_criteria.aspx#Tier1

I do agree that whether or not you're a STEM has no effect on your leadership potential. OTCN and NRC seem to be on a big push as well to get as much in as they can, but I've seen some selected for Nuke (with engineering degrees) get NPQ.

yakboyslim

None
My aerospace degree gives me a slightly better bullshit guess when I can't remember what NATOPS, goldbook or topgun says. Which helps me for the short time before I look up what I'm supposed to know, and quickly memorize that using no engineering skills at all.