• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Best X/C airfields?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluto

I've got a lot of road shows coming up and was looking for some new places to break down, particularly civilian FBO's. My current favorites are Scottsdale, AZ and Boeing Field, WA. All I need is 6K feet of runway, contract fuel and a good locale. Anyone have a hidden treasure?

Pcola04/30

Professional Michigan Hater
pilot
Sedona, not all that far from scottsdale. It is amazing. The place is beautiful. I highly rec. stoping off, grabbing the grand canyon sectional, pluging some coordinates into your GPS and FREAKIN ENJOY.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
College Station (KCLL). Free food with gas. GOOD stuff.

Chennault (KCWF). Also free food with gas. Also GOOD stuff.

One of those has crawfush ettuffe to die for. The other had... something else, I can't remember, but it was damn good.

One is Texas, one is Louisianna.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Grand Junction, CO (KGJT I think). They do a great turn and always have a bunch of stuff to eat. The guy that runs the place is retired Navy and loves it when fleet guys come through.

Brett

Pcola04/30

Professional Michigan Hater
pilot
David Wayne Hooks in Houston...the "Linemen" show up in high heels and mini-skirts on occassion as well as bottled water right to the cockpit. Also the Dollar t-shirt and dollar meal are good. If you land after after the kitchen is closed they will give you a coupon and free rental to get dinner down the street at a restaurant(forget the name) but you get anything you want for a buck(appetizer, steak dinner, and dessert)

Jedj

Ellington field, houston Tx. great place, free beer and food in the lounge/kitchen, they even have a little movie theater and hot tub in their spaces(you can stay there for like 10 bucks too). Monterey CA is a great place, the FBO got me a new mercedes rental for 20.00 a day.

And there's always McCarren

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
Grand Junction, CO - great "Howl at the Moon" party every month

Hill AFB - Ski the Watasch mountains on opening day. Great powder. Quick turn, good low levels.

NAS North Island - San Diego. Why? You say. Why not? I say.

NAS Key West - Once again, why not?

Mountain Home AFB - Don't spend the night. Used to have Scrubby's BBQ but not anymore :( . Quick turn, good low levels.

Nellis AFB - VEGAS. 'Nuff said.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
SteveG75 said:
Mountain Home AFB - Don't spend the night. Used to have Scrubby's BBQ but not anymore :( . Quick turn, good low levels.
Dude, the fuel and T-line guys at Mountain Home suck balls! Worst turn ever. Half the time they won't even give you a PPR.

Brett

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
Cna't believe I am going to give texas props... San Antonio is a good time... if for no other reason, you got the river walk and more strip clubs in a 10 mile radius than I have ever seen.... not that we ever went to any on a CCX...

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
Brett327 said:
Dude, the fuel and T-line guys at Mountain Home suck balls! Worst turn ever. Half the time they won't even give you a PPR.

Brett

Brett,

I have been wheels in the well 30 minutes after landing there. Guess the service has gone downhill.

I'll stick by my other choices. After all, if you are trying to get a quick turn at Nellis, that is an automatic below for headwork. Heck, I want to break in Nellis.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I had a pretty good experience at Nellis. I flew in there while in the RAG and spent a couple of nights. It was during Red Flag, so they were pretty busy, but still hooked us up. While flying in there, our transmission pressure went to zero, so we had to get some Pavehawk guys to come over and help fix it. I seem to remember getting fuel pretty quickly, but then again, we were planning on spending the night, so we weren't super pressed for time. Plus I got to go climb around in a B-1 that was parked next to us, too, so that was cool.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
bch said:
Cna't believe I am going to give texas props... San Antonio is a good time... if for no other reason, you got the river walk and more strip clubs in a 10 mile radius than I have ever seen.... not that we ever went to any on a CCX...

San Antonio is sweet. I had a great time there on my CCX.

Status
Not open for further replies.