• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Best & worst of the decade ...

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
For me ... personally ...

Da' BEST: retirement (like I said; a PERSONAL gig). It's walkin', talkin', pure .... well, ... ambrosia ... :D When you get there -- you'll understand.

The worst: the guys we've lost. The Brothers who are no longer with us. I miss 'em all, even those I never had a face-to-face with ...

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Best: Marriage, 2 Kids, Commission, Wings, Vasectomy

Worst: Watching the country finally mobilize all the retards into voting for the Democratic party in 2008...watching Sister-in-law go through (and beat) cancer and a leg amputation...reading the obit's of 5 good friends killed in the line of duty...dad committing suicide...

Note: these aren't necessarily in any order...
Pickle

Cleonard19

Contributor
Best: Getting my NEC, first choice duty station, family member surviving a normally life-ending incident.

Worst: Lost two friends in off duty accidents. Lost three friends on duty. The off duty ones hurt more.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Year was bittersweet for me. What I consider the best part of the year came because of the worst.

Best: I got my social life back and realized exactly who my true friends are.

Worst: I only got to see Christopher (Mini-Bubba) for 11 days last year... after not seeing him for almost a year. I also lost a classmate and a couple good friends...

jtmedli

pilot
Best - Finally finishing that pesky Electrical Engineering Degree (and on a high note at that).

Worst - Losing multiple aunts and uncles. Not being commissioned yet.

BEST AND WORST - Applying as an SNA. We all know how that goes...

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor
Best: Commissioning, seeing my big brother commission (USMC about a month ago...yut) realizing that flight school is about the most fun I've ever had and that if the winged folk are to be believed, the fleet will be that much more fun.

Worst: Commissioning with one of my friends from ROTC, then hearing about him dying in a helicopter crash a week or so after.

Here's to a good 2010.

exhelodrvr

pilot
Best - Son graduating from college and being commissioned, daughter graduating from college and getting established in her new home

Worst - Cousin (who was also my best friend) dying from cancer.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
The worst: I lost my Mom ... I think about her every day.

The best: learning how many other peoples' lives she touched ...

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Best: deployment

Worst: deployment

The best and worst times I've ever had.

Yep... I agree. I've had some pretty damn good memories over last deployment and one or two from the month or so of this one...

How often do you get to smoke cigars and just chill with friends on a perfect weather night in Al-Udeid? Or go drinking in the Azores with a bunch of KC-10 dudes from your hometown area?

Some of it sucked too... like watching an IED go off from the jet and not knowing if any Americans were caught in the blast... and being a little worried because one of your friends was stationed at the FOB nearby and sometimes went on patrol with the dudes you were supporting.

Love it or hate it, it is what it is...

Old R.O.

Professional No-Load
None
Contributor
Best: A bunch of stuff.
Daughter gets into rowing in high school and 1.5 years later she’s a national junior champ in the quad sculls and then on the Junior National team rowing in Lithuania in the Junior World’s Championships. Then there was 2 years of partial and 2 years of a full ride scholarship to UCLA. Now she’s got her college all paid for and doing quite well as a air traffic controller at one of the centers.

Wife retires. I ask my boss: “How’s about I do what I’m doing now... except not here.” He agrees. We move to Wyoming (no income tax... an immediate 10% raise...) and spend most of the time there... and 2.5 months in Yuma when the snow and cold get to be too much. The telecommuting is working out very well, too.

Navy Reserve retirement finally kicked in last year. More money, plus not having to pay my wife’s medical insurance any more.

The bad:
That 6-month period in 2006 when I was horizontal for 7 weeks and barely able to function for the next few months as a result of a herniated disk.

Mom passed away. 92 years old and still living by herself in the house where she had lived since 1946. She passed away peacefully in her favorite easy chair with her best friend with her (-- Dad passed away in ‘97 at 88 years young)

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Best of the decade........1. adopting a 4 year old boy who had been abused in many terrible ways. He taught me another level of responsibility very, very quickly. He also taught me that peeing off a roof can still be fun. 2. Retired; I like the sound of that.

worst: realizing that someone important to me has an addiction.