• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Best way to build up push ups

BigRed389

None
When I started college I could barely do 10 push ups. Now I can do 61 in a minute. What got me past my first goal of getting to 42 push ups in a minute was the sheer number that I did. I would max out several times a day. But 42 was as high as I could go. That's when I realized that I was doing push ups all wrong. Good form but all wrong. The key to getting a high number of push ups is speed. When you go down just drop. Let gravity take over. It is less work on you and you can save a couple of seconds. Also, this is going to sound really, really gay so bear with me, but I greatly increased my speed by doing air push ups. Stand up and move your arms like you're doing a push up. I used to do sets of 100 every day and it got me comfortable with the pace so when I did push ups I knew about how fast I should be going. Get your speed up, let gravity do half the work, and do a shit-ton of push ups.

While true, at OCS our DI would yell at those people who tried to machine gun pushups.

Not arguing the fact it works...just saying it's better to work harder in training, then help yourself out for the real thing.

Oh-58Ddriver

Scouts Out!
None
Contributor
I agree with SDrum2 - dont use any muscles on the way down, just let yourself fall. You will do them quicker and use less muscle power. Same goes for sit ups - dont use ab muscles on the way down, push yourself down with your legs and let yourself hit.

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
Same goes for sit ups - dont use ab muscles on the way down, push yourself down with your legs and let yourself hit.

while i can't do any pullups, i think i got situps licked. my last PRT in njrotc, i did 110 in 2mins which is 1 more than the max and earned me the only "gold lamp" in my njrotc unit. so some might think that my 45 pushups in 2mins is a girly number :eek:, but in the case of situps, females are required to do the same number to max out the navy prt as guys, so the 17-19yo max for men is also 109. i guess that means i am qualified to challenge MasterB to a situp contest (all in good fun and in the most respectful way possible of course :D).

what i did to increase my situps was to do as many as i could at one time. when i first started, that was 30. then i increased by 2 every day. i stopped increasing them when i hit 500, just because it takes me too long to do them now. about 15mins at the rate of about 30/min. but now i do 500 situps at 1 time, every day for about 6 days a week. now i can fly through situps. i'm pretty sure i can do more than 110 even in 2mins. during the prt, i went a little too slowly at first to pace myself, and then machine gunned through the last 30 secs to hit 110 and had lots of energy left.

now i've tried to work in some leg raising for my lower abs just because i heard it is a favorite at the college i'm going to. :eek:

the wierd thing is that had i expected that all the situps would help out with my tightening my abs, but it hasn't at all. after 500 situps, they "feel" a lot tighter and harder, but they don't "look" that way at all. so if any of you know sort of ab exercises will help make your abs look fit and not just feel fit, i'd love some advice! i'm probably ready for the most advanced ab exercises around, i just don't know what those would be. :D

Zissou

Banned
There's been alot of good advice so far. I'll just offer a couple things that I think are important.

The push-up is a minor core exercise. Requiring abs,hip flexors,triceps,delts,erector spinae,lats, and the pec major/minor. When you see a bad Push-Up its because everything but the pecs has been neglected through poor form and discipline.

While the ballistic load is carried by the triceps and pectorals, the toe to nose is held stable by the core. I think its important understand that from the get go.

To develop increased strength and endurance you MUST EXECUTE PROPER FORM IN TRAINING, every rep. Although your form will degrade rapidly as you fatigue it should not degrade because your trying to go fast by dropping to the down position.

Proper Training Form

In the proper push-up position slowly, under complete control, lower yourself to the down position. The movement from UP to DOWN should take 2-3 seconds.

While in the DOWN position take .5-1 second pause.

Move from DOWN to UP in a slow and controlled manner. This should should take 2-3 seconds. Once you are at the apex of the movement contract your pec muscle completely for a second.

REPEAT

Training the Push-Up slow and disciplined to failure, repeatedly, will build stronger and more efficient muscles.

You can use Pyramids, you can do sets of a given number increasing weekly, Push-Ups to failure x4. You can google yourself silly looking for set and rep structure. Most anything done to failure, repeatedly will work.

What about speed for the PRT? You must increase strength and efficiency to improve your scores on any timed event. No matter what it is. The above will improve strength through technique and work.

Taking your stronger muscle to efficient muscles is all about oxygen efficiency.

Do your push-ups with the SAME TECHNIQUE as above.

Do an increased number of sets, lower reps per set. Decreasing rest between sets. This will force the muscle to do the work with less blood oxygen.

Like this: Ten sets, two reps per set. Two seconds rest between sets.

Or: Five sets or twelve with eight seconds rest between.

The numbers are obviously dependent on your ability but at the end of the sets you should be panting, sweating, and miserable.

Another way to starve muscles of O2 is by holding your breathe during sets. NEVER DO THIS RUNNING OR SWIMMING. Its known as hypoxic training and isnt for the novice. But you wont be a novice long.

The bottom line is WORK. You must work. You must harden yourself.

There have been what? 30 posts of advice on the Push-Up?

You will improve your push-ups through hard work. Really? If you told me you didnt care about technique or sets and all that sh*t? But beat the crap out of yourself every day? I'de be confident you will find success. But you can study the Push-Up like a monk, spend hours dissecting this thread and it will be a moot point if you dont get down and put in the time and pain required to harden the blade.

Relentless work ethic will beat any plan, any day. But a good plan in the hands of a relentless worker will beat anything, anytime.

So go do push-ups...

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
There's been alot of good advice so far. I'll just offer a couple things that I think are important.

The push-up is a minor core exercise. Requiring abs,hip flexors,triceps,delts,erector spinae,lats, and the pec major/minor. When you see a bad Push-Up its because everything but the pecs has been neglected through poor form and discipline.

While the ballistic load is carried by the triceps and pectorals, the toe to nose is held stable by the core. I think its important understand that from the get go.

To develop increased strength and endurance you MUST EXECUTE PROPER FORM IN TRAINING, every rep. Although your form will degrade rapidly as you fatigue it should not degrade because your trying to go fast by dropping to the down position.

Proper Training Form

In the proper push-up position slowly, under complete control, lower yourself to the down position. The movement from UP to DOWN should take 2-3 seconds.

While in the DOWN position take .5-1 second pause.

Move from DOWN to UP in a slow and controlled manner. This should should take 2-3 seconds. Once you are at the apex of the movement contract your pec muscle completely for a second.

REPEAT

Training the Push-Up slow and disciplined to failure, repeatedly, will build stronger and more efficient muscles.

You can use Pyramids, you can do sets of a given number increasing weekly, Push-Ups to failure x4. You can google yourself silly looking for set and rep structure. Most anything done to failure, repeatedly will work.

What about speed for the PRT? You must increase strength and efficiency to improve your scores on any timed event. No matter what it is. The above will improve strength through technique and work.

Taking your stronger muscle to efficient muscles is all about oxygen efficiency.

Do your push-ups with the SAME TECHNIQUE as above.

Do an increased number of sets, lower reps per set. Decreasing rest between sets. This will force the muscle to do the work with less blood oxygen.

Like this: Ten sets, two reps per set. Two seconds rest between sets.

Or: Five sets or twelve with eight seconds rest between.

The numbers are obviously dependent on your ability but at the end of the sets you should be panting, sweating, and miserable.

Another way to starve muscles of O2 is by holding your breathe during sets. NEVER DO THIS RUNNING OR SWIMMING. Its known as hypoxic training and isnt for the novice. But you wont be a novice long.

The bottom line is WORK. You must work. You must harden yourself.

There have been what? 30 posts of advice on the Push-Up?

You will improve your push-ups through hard work. Really? If you told me you didnt care about technique or sets and all that sh*t? But beat the crap out of yourself every day? I'de be confident you will find success. But you can study the Push-Up like a monk, spend hours dissecting this thread and it will be a moot point if you dont get down and put in the time and pain required to harden the blade.

Relentless work ethic will beat any plan, any day. But a good plan in the hands of a relentless worker will beat anything, anytime.

So go do push-ups...

wow! that's amazing!

Zissou, can you also talk about pullups too? what is the secret to pullups? (especially for those that are just weak :eek:)

Zissou

Banned
during the prt, i went a little too slowly at first to pace myself, and then machine gunned through the last 30 secs to hit 110 and had lots of energy left.

the wierd thing is that had i expected that all the situps would help out with my tightening my abs, but it hasn't at all. after 500 situps, they "feel" a lot tighter and harder, but they don't "look" that way at all. :D

How anyone's abs look is related to bodyfat and absolutely nothing else.

Create a 500 calorie per day deficit in your diet. The resulting 3500 calories per week equal one pound of fat tissue your body will burn per week. You're gut will go from sour cream in a condom to washboard in no time.

To easily monitor your calorie intake and calorie metabolized go to www.fitday.com Registry for the basic service is FREE

I found that website by reading MasterBates signature line. BTW Bates is working his a** off. BZ

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
so Now i have actually taken account for my training actions here in Kentucky.I didt ing but it is big ez so NO I did NOT DO IT...I'm new to the forum. I can do 10 Half ass push ups. He;p mE@!!!!Call me a fagas son of a bitch for being a Marine... Give Me the resample!!!
Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
so Now i have actually taken account for my training actions here in Kentucky.I didt ing but it is big ez so NO I did NOT DO IT...I'm new to the forum. I can do 10 Half ass push ups. He;p mE@!!!!Call me a fagas son of a bitch for being a Marine... Give Me the resample!!!
What are you talking about?

akdorsey

You got a problem with me?
Quick question to anyone.....

Some of you have been saying eat a steak and by that you mean protein. The problem i'm having is I just don't eat enough of steak or chicken to really help me so is there a supplement that I can buy that is safe that helps with protein intake?

BigRed389

None
Quick question to anyone.....

Some of you have been saying eat a steak and by that you mean protein. The problem i'm having is I just don't eat enough of steak or chicken to really help me so is there a supplement that I can buy that is safe that helps with protein intake?

You serious?

Whey protein shake powder is very easily available(cheap), and any GNC/Vitamin Shoppe has plenty of different brands.

akdorsey

Yes I am serious. I'm not a huge eater so a lot of the time I make myself eat and its chicken or something but its not a huge amount.

Zissou

Banned
AKDORSEY,

I've read your profile and scanned some of your posts trying to get a better picture.

19 YO Male, Sophomore in college, worried about med boards.

Is the above correct?

Height? Weight? Bodyfat %?

Current PT regime?

Answer the above, here or PM if you're shy, and I'll try to help. These single sentence question/tidbits arent helping anyone offer sound advice that will help you achieve a long term goal.

Z

akdorsey

Yes the above is correct

I am 5'8 and weigh 145 and body fat I do not know.

Currently, I run as long as I can at a nice pace and I drop throughout the day and push till I can't. I'm not on any kind of diet, I pretty much eat whatever the hell I want. I don't take vitamins or anything like that.