• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Best way to build up push ups

Spotter? Meh.

If you can't do at least one rep at 70% your bodyweight without a spotter when you are in your 20s, you are either a girly man or Jabba, and therefore deserve the ridicule and possible elimination from the gene pool that comes with not being able to do one rep.
I don't understand where the body weight percentage came into play. Where was that mentioned? Did I miss something?

MasterBates

I was laughing at the girly-men who won't lift without a spotter, even at light weights.

Of course, the TRA-Men from HarrierDude Industries are probably on the way to the gym to install a "spotters required" sign as I type.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
I'll do you one better. If you can't bench your own body weight for 10 reps, you are weak.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
I'll do you one better. If you can't bench your own body weight for 10 reps, you are weak.

I don't know many people that can do 10 reps of their own body weight, myself included. And I don't consider myself weak. It is a worthy goal and obtainable goal however.

akdorsey

You got a problem with me?
Push Ups Flat Lined

Alright well the push ups have maxed out over the past few weeks. Could body weight be from me doing more? I'm 5'8 at 145. I'm not sure what normal weight is either but I have a little muscle but I can't do more than 10-15 push ups before falling to the deck.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
start focusing on muscle groups. My suggestions:

DO DIPS (triceps)
Bench (chest/shoulder)
Pull ups (lats)

This WILL cause in increase in your pushups

akdorsey

You got a problem with me?
I maybe can get 2 pull ups before I drop. I know I know, i'm either half female or really really weak.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
I maybe can get 2 pull ups before I drop. I know I know, i'm either half female or really really weak.

Or a really really weak half-female.

How about you start doing max sets of pushups 10-15x a day. Is it a mental block stopping you? Check your diet. More meat. Tell me you're not a vegetarian.

There are a million things people can tell you to do to improve it. In the end, everyone has to find what works for them. Time for you to just do it. Go eat a steak, and start pushing.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
Are you breathing while you do them?

I know some guys including myself who have trouble maintaining breathing while doing pushups. If you don't breathe you're going to drop pretty quick. Inhale on the way down exhale on the way up.