• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Best way to build up push ups

joboy_2.0

professional undergraduate
Contributor
Oh you meant real dips. I first thought you were referring to the stupid ones people do off the benches.

Yeah doing those deep dips obviously carries more weight than a pushup...

Yes real dips. They definitely kill your triceps. Pushups are cake now that I can pump out dip after dip. Doing any kind of complex lift will work not only your primary muscles but also support and core muscles. That's why bench and dips are far superior than stupid tricep isolation exercises or that dumb butterfly machine.

akdorsey

You got a problem with me?
For me it seems like my back and shoulders gives out during push ups. My triceps seem like their pretty good for the most part.

CaptainRon

pilot
Contributor
Three sets a day of maxing out never worked for me. It did not improve my #.

What did work was an exercise somebody on here suggested: take a deck of cards and flip them over one by one. Each time you flip one over, do that number of push ups. Ace = 1 (or 14 if you're a maniac) and King = 13.

That got me up from about 40 to 67 max.

BigRed389

None
For me it seems like my back and shoulders gives out during push ups. My triceps seem like their pretty good for the most part.

Let me guess...your lower back begins to hurt, the front part of your shoulder feels like it's on fire, and overall it just gets really goddamn hard to maintain the pushup position, even though you feel like you've got enough strength to go down to push out another one?

akdorsey

You got a problem with me?
No. My front part of my shoulders begin to hurt and then my shoulders behind my neck begin to hurt.

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
Suggestion

I found this method has worked really well for me, no matter where you are along in your training. I read this somewhere, I think it was actually a Navy document...

Rest a full 2 minutes between each set.

1st set: As many pushups as you can do in 30 seconds
2nd set: same
3rd set: As many as you can do in 20 seconds
4th set: same
5th set: As many as you can do in 10 seconds
6th set: same

What's great about this method is when I started out I could only do about 28 pushups in the first two sets, and a lot less in the subsequent sets. As I progressed, I could eventually get my rate over 1 pushup per second for all 6 sets.

I did this once every day, plus as many situps as I could do in 2 minutes every day, and that worked pretty well.

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
I did it every now and then (2-3 times per week) for about a month and a half and on a 'surprise' PFT got up to 60-ish pushups and 80-something situps.

Then when it was about three weeks to go until the next PFT I did it every day for about 3 weeks. I got up to 81 pushups and 100-something situps that way.

EDIT -- just remembered, actually what I did was alternate pushup activities each day between the above method and doing as many as I could in 2 minutes. So one day do as many as I could for 2 minutes, next day do the above method, etc. And rest on Saturdays or something like that. After about 3 weeks of doing that I got from 61 to 81.

BlackBearHockey

go blue...
http://www.baseops.net/basictraining/navyseals/warningorder.html

Someone posted that a while back and I've been doing the upper body workouts and swimming. My last PRT I maxed in situps and was 10 off in pushups (thanks to being an old man freshman, thank you standards), but wanted to drop some pounds/tone up and I've been happy with the progression. I do between 750-1000yds swimming, breast and side, then two laps sprint free style, which definitely works the core/shoulders.

The thing with pushups is it's all muscle endurance, not so much strength, so if you work on that you'll notice better results.

edit: I do the pushups/situps directly before getting in the pool, it's a nice workout

BigRed389

None
No. My front part of my shoulders begin to hurt and then my shoulders behind my neck begin to hurt.

The front of your shoulder is mostly worked to keep you in the up part of the proper pushup position.

The reason I burn out my triceps first is because I try to spend all the time during the P/U portion of the PRT actually knocking out pushups. Keeping yourself up just wastes time and energy that could be used later. It also uses more stabilizing muscles to maintain the pushup position than to simply keep yourself in motion.
I don't have a lot of problem knocking out pushups quickly for over a minute, but if I had to simply maintain the up position the entire time I find it's actually surprisingly difficult.

I have no idea why the shoulders behind your neck would hurt. I've had them sort of cramp up before when I was fatigued and was having enough trouble simply maintaining the proper pushup position because I was tensing up, but never had anything along my back get tired out from pushups.