• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Best Naval Aviation movies

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
Who wants to see Russian Tu-16 Badger naval tanker from inside? All that stone-aged wing-to-wing refueling, 23-mike-mike turrets on the dorsal, belly and tail positions, Soviet naval uniform, an ASW Il-38 May that is depicting the P-3C Orion outside (and An-12 Cub transport plays it from inside), all that stuff from 1982 when Brits brought the distant islands back, the last US-built warship was torn apart by the torpedoes, and just a couple of years BEFORE the TG had crushed the cinemas all around the world?
See that - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incident_at_Map_Grid_36-80
USN SSN developed broken arrow or alike emergency while close to Soviet EEZ, and was forced to surface, then uncontrollably launched some missiles at Soviet surface TF nearby . The old Victor-I depicts some 688i boat, with no conning-tower planes, but the launch of missiles had been snapped on diesel-driven Whiskey Twin-Cylinder.
Russians are heroes, USN personnel just makes money, bla-bla-bla.
This was the first and probably the only Soviet war movie in which the deck/field-rank level officers' everyday life was shown as a life of a typical middle-class of then-USSR: relatively good flats, wives who use cosmetics, the dog who brings the slippers, and so on. No blood-thirst Party commissioners, no "work harder, comrade", nothing similar to the flat characters of 1970's Commies. Just military service of the superpower.
There should be with English subtitles.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Perhaps the first movie about Naval Aviation: the silent movie "The Flying Fleet" from 1929.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Flying_Fleet

220px-The-Flying-Fleet-%281929%29.jpg

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Not exactly naval aviation, but with everyone racing for The Show, thought I would add from 1970 "Airport" with Dean Martin, George Kennedy, Burt Lancaster and Jacqueline Bisset. Things I caught in the background, a model of the Boeing SuperSonic Transport in TWA colors, the captain requesting a PAR approach, and Dean Martin as the check airman using the trusty E6B whiz wheel. Some of our resident airline pilots, young and old, might like the film if they have not seen already.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airport_(1970_film)

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Debuting in the Bicentennial year of 1976 - "Black Sheep Squadron". (available on DVD). A great example of "beware the old man in a young man's game..."

Unfortunately, in Season 2 the show got moved from Tuesday night to Wednesday night - the same night as "Charlie's Angels" with Cheryl Ladd - and this was before VCR's. Make a call, F4U Corsairs or the Angels.

It had pilots and planes...

corsair-baa1-735x413.jpg

As well as maintenance support...

99488181340ff41623827d2cf02bae86--black-sheep-squadron-baa-baa-black-sheep.jpg

hscs

pilot
Love it. The MMCPO in my first squadron ran the 'that's my airplane, college boy' audio when coming to sign for the plane.

peteg88

My faves are Bridges at Toko-Ri and Flight of the Intruder, and apart from these I haven't seen many others. Need check out some of the mentioned here, like The Bridge on the River Kwai and The Sand Pebbles

egri

My faves are Bridges at Toko-Ri

I need to see that one before I ship out next month. I just finished the book and really liked it.

Has anyone else here seen The Siege of Jadotville? It's about the UN mission to the Congo in 1961, with a focus on the Irish contingent. I thought it was a good movie, even though the Irish really got shafted by the UN.

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
My faves are Bridges at Toko-Ri and Flight of the Intruder

The Bridges is awesome, indeed. But Flight of the Intruder is in my opinion far cry from what the novel tries to show by. Generally, I'm still amazed by the fact that there are many novels written by the former Intruder drivers as well as the B/Ns, but not a single novel and movie based on it written by light attack pilot.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
I need to see that one before I ship out next month. I just finished the book and really liked it.

Has anyone else here seen The Siege of Jadotville? It's about the UN mission to the Congo in 1961, with a focus on the Irish contingent. I thought it was a good movie, even though the Irish really got shafted by the UN.

And they got shafted by their own people. Loved the movie, was pretty upset when I read about the aftermath once they returned home.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
The Bridges is awesome, indeed. But Flight of the Intruder is in my opinion far cry from what the novel tries to show by. Generally, I'm still amazed by the fact that there are many novels written by the former Intruder drivers as well as the B/Ns, but not a single novel and movie based on it written by light attack pilot.
You need to read "Taxi Dancer" by Joseph Haywood. It is Air Force, but it is a good read about attack flying. Also read "Chickenhawk" by Robert Mason for your Army helicopter fix and "North SAR" for Navy helicopters.

But, we are talking movies...right now I am too lazy to use the search function but has anyone mentioned Midway?

IMG_0007.JPG