• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Best Naval Aviation movies

yak52driver

Contributor
Final Countdown

Just watched Final Countdown, my favorite Naval Aviation movie. I'm a civilian pilot, not a military aviator, but wanted to confirm that when they gave the signal "buster" to the pilots that meant they wanted them at max power. Is that correct?

Xtndr50boom

Voted 8.9 average on the Hot-or-Not scale
Iron Eagle 2 was the debut of the Mig-29!

f4snatgd.jpg

So you're telling me I've refueled Mig-29s before? Man, oh man! Why didn't anybody tell me? :icon_wink

Xtndr50boom

Voted 8.9 average on the Hot-or-Not scale
Just watched Final Countdown, my favorite Naval Aviation movie. I'm a civilian pilot, not a military aviator, but wanted to confirm that when they gave the signal "buster" to the pilots that meant they wanted them at max power. Is that correct?

As fast as possible, really. The answers are all right here, my friend. I got them from a buddy in the jewish house

http://www.tailhook.org/AVSLANG.htm

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As fast as possible, really. The answers are all right here, my friend. I got them from a buddy in the jewish house

http://www.tailhook.org/AVSLANG.htm

Indeed, a call to "Buster" meant to go full Mil/as fast as possible leaving use of burner to pilot's discretion (ie don't run out of fuel).

A call of "Gate" meant to use Afterburner even if you ran out of fuel (ie High allowable risk to intercept whatever you were being vectored on). Really a relic of the Cold War when getting into position to take on a cruise missile launched from a Soviet bomber was critical due to the narrow optimum launch window. We practiced it in the full mission simulators, but I never heard it used in the fleet. I did heard Buster used quite a bit, even by the Boss when he had a ready deck and no customers.

It would be interesting to hear from Uncle Fester or any other E-2 Bubba as to what they thought the terms meant.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It would be interesting to hear from Uncle Fester or any other E-2 Bubba as to what they thought the terms meant.

I knew "Buster" but never heard it actually used in the Fleet. I never heard of "Gate" before; I'm not sure it's even still in the brevity terms manual. The Zoomies keep trying to make it all Air Forcey.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
I watched a movie on AMC (might have been TCM) that was about the beginnings of Naval Aviation. I don't recall what it was, but it was awesome.

sh89

Tom Cruise from Top Gun is sooooo handsome though. Just look at him in those Ray-Bans. WOW.

You guys are just jealous cuz you don't look that hot in aviators.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Tom Cruise from Top Gun is sooooo handsome though. Just look at him in those Ray-Bans. WOW.

You guys are just jealous cuz you don't look that hot in aviators.

Next time, after you type your post, ask yourself "Is this a good idea?" If yes, press cancel, if no, press cancel.