• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Best Naval Aviation movies

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Happened to see this today. For Top Gun 2, the leading lady has been announced as Jennifer Connelly. Excellent selection.

jareth-the-goblin-king-approves.jpg

(The meme was already there when I googled "goblin king approves.")

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
But will never confess...
Look, is SEALs related movie the Navy-related movie? What about The Warfighter, 2018? Has it been released in US?

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
This one is for movies, you fools:p
Yet ok, I'll answer.
Russian Navy, at least its SWO part, is in bad shape due to the fact that its officer usually finds out he is kinda useless piece of shit and a slave of circumstances right at the moment of commissioning, while in USN similar Shoe officer comes to similar understanding a bit later, as USNI blog noted:
"The message is clear: we told you we cared about you because you were a young ensign and that was a lie you needed to hear. You’re getting older now, so shut up and get to work!"
Thus, if the cruelty is bad then yes, Russian Navy is bad.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Or, just spitballing here, it could be the near 80 years of selecting Officers because the Communist party said they were just a little more equal than their comrade, versus selecting for sustained superior performance (and timing).

When the Party Apparatchik gets a vote (or THE vote) you get people in leadership positions due to influence vice talent.

Granted the родина has been under autocratic rule since the fall of the Berlin Wall, what you gained in the death of the USSR you lost in being broke for decades.

I think Putin has actually balanced pacifying the domestic issues while funding a decent expansion in your military, but you can’t replace decades of experience (good or bad) without a loss of capability.

I think to underestimate the current, and future, capabilities of our (former) Soviet friends is a bad idea, but they are still playing catch-up.