• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Best Commissioning Program

phrogpilot73

I disagree with the 90-day reservist idea. Again, it's dependent on the individual. I signed up for the 6x2 program for the reserves (NOT a 90-day reservist) so I did Boot Camp followed by MCT. I reported to my reserve unit, because someone, somewhere had screwed up and I had been contracted for an MOS that is not normally given to newbies (you had to have 6 months of OJT & be a Cpl to go to MOS school). So I show up at my reserve unit with no MOS training, only MCT. I quickly volunteered for as many active duty periods as I could (I was essentially full time) and dedicated myself to learning what my job was supposed to be. In the end, when we did our DFT to Yuma - I was acting as the sole squadron analyst (normally a SSgt or above) as a Cpl, because I had worked so hard at my OJT. I actually had a school seat lined up, but didn't go because I got picked up for the Academy.

So, a 90-day reservist could be beneficial if he wants to be.

joshmf

I was going to suggest enlisting in the Reserves, and going through PLC/ OCC at a later point as well. Many people from my unit did this, and it's an excellent opportunity to gain some experience in the Marine Corps before signing extended active duty contract. I'd also reiterate that the 92- day Reservists who went through PLC were the most useless Marines we had. PLC takes precedence over MCT or MOS school, so we a had few who finished their 6 year committment without ever going through either. You're not deployable until you've been through both, and you don't know much about your MOS, so your unit can't really use you. Besides, I enjoyed MCT and MOS school. The other thing to consider is that being a Reservist makes you eligible for deployments, so depending on your unit college may take the better part of a decade, but that's not necessarily a bad thing ;).

*EDIT* I posted this before reading the previous post, so there is an excellent example of a Reservist who had not been to MOS school that was valuable to his unit. Still, in my experience this is the exception that proves the rule.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
So with OCC and PLC you sign a flight contract as soon a you join; while, with Annapolis and NROTC you can't do that? So far I'm considering three Ag. schools Texas A&M, University of Kentucky, and Western Kentucky University. Only Texas A&M has NROTC (which looks like a lot of fun). If I were to go to TX A&M with a Scholarship what then would be my chances of getting a contract if I am commissioned.

Don't you have to be a part of the Corps of Cadets if you do A&M NROTC?

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Don't you have to be a part of the Corps of Cadets if you do A&M NROTC?

Yes.

On their site it says that most midshipmen are in the Corps of Cadets.

They are probably referring to MECEPS and the other services verion of them. The definition of "most" is probably 95%.

I was PLC and in the Corps of Cadets. In other words, as far as the Corps of Cadets was concerned, I could have quit and still been commissioned. I did it for the experience and I'm glad that I did.

PM me if you want to know more about the Corps of Cadets. I really don't feel like going over that whole "why would you pay for harrassment" debate again at the moment.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
At least you realize it.:icon_smil

Some of the best officers I have dealt with are the Marines that are....wait for it....well rounded. But hey, to each their own.

With all due respect, I don't see how tough demanding PT and leadership billets are failing to make me (and the others I work with) well rounded.

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
My point was more on the basis of seeing/experiencing other than the military lifestyle in the (more or less) adult life.

Some people want big brother saying "Be up at 0530 to run with us!!!!"
Others can just PT on their own and if they want to be out till 0530 with their buddies in a tuesday, of study real late and not have to worry about someone elses schedule, they can.

The well rounded was (I thought obviously) in regard to experienceing a life more like the one of the civilians you are protecting. Isn't it obvious that the more different things you experience the more you have seen...ergo the more well rounded?

Personally, I wasn't totally free, either. I was an athlete, so I had obligations. The idea of being 'forced' to do things that might seem annoying to reach a goal wasn't lost on me in college. I even took some ROTC classes--like rock-climbing :)
But I was quite happy being a civilian.

I guess some people want to live the military life all the time. Some people even paid to go to psuedo military academies. I can't say I get that, but to each their own.

And I still say PLC is the best overall if you like money and want to get the contract you want.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
I was going to suggest enlisting in the Reserves, and going through PLC/ OCC at a later point as well. Many people from my unit did this, and it's an excellent opportunity to gain some experience in the Marine Corps before signing extended active duty contract. I'd also reiterate that the 92- day Reservists who went through PLC were the most useless Marines we had. PLC takes precedence over MCT or MOS school, so we a had few who finished their 6 year committment without ever going through either. You're not deployable until you've been through both, and you don't know much about your MOS, so your unit can't really use you.

I've had the same experience with them. I can see if you were super-motivated like phrog how you could pull something good out of it ... but I haven't observed that yet. Most of the time they go off to PLC the next summer without ever doing MCT.

I did the normal reserve 6 x 2 and did MCT as well as Comm school. I wouldn't trade the experience for anything, and would recommend it over the 92-day reservist stuff.

phrogpilot73

I've had the same experience with them. I can see if you were super-motivated like phrog how you could pull something good out of it ... but I haven't observed that yet. Most of the time they go off to PLC the next summer without ever doing MCT.

I did the normal reserve 6 x 2 and did MCT as well as Comm school. I wouldn't trade the experience for anything, and would recommend it over the 92-day reservist stuff.
I also think it's where the motivation lies. I would guess that I probably would have done the same thing if I was a 92-day reservist, because I wanted to be a Marine and be a good Marine. However, I think I was in the definite minority. If you sign up because you want to be a Marine (and not because you want to score some extra cash), then you really don't have to be "super-motivated" and you can be successful. If you sign up because you want extra cash, you're going to be a turd.

VAmookie

^^ I hate to disagree with you my friend, but let me add my perspective on this option. Why be a 90-day reservist? If you choose to be an enlisted Marine, do it for the right reasons. Do it to gain experience as an enlisted Marine and earn money for college. If you become a 90-day reservist you will show up to your unit knowing nothing about your MOS. I've dealt with a couple 90-dayers... and I just can't understand where they are coming from. We certainly can't put them to much use at the unit. Furthermore... if you're going to be an enlisted Marine, wouldn't you want to learn your job and have that under your belt? 90-dayers haven't even been to MCT. Words like "perimeter", "trip-flare", and "Fireteam" mean nothing to them. What happens if you get deployed and only have minimal exposure to your occ field?

IMO... if you're going enlisted complete the training so you can contribute to your unit. You will find that this will make you a more "well-rounded" Marine. I know people like to throw that phrase around a lot but it holds true. Besides, you'll still rate the above mentioned benefits, FAP, MCTAP, and the GI Bill.

The reason for this is they know that they would rather go to college first. So they do the 90 day program for 3 reasons
1) want to be a Marine
2) enlisting early gets you "in the club" and it helps with PLC entry
3) make extra money

If you want to be a Marine, then you want to be a Marine. If you're a piece of shit 90 day reservists, then that is who you are, and you're going to be a piece of this officer after PLC, TBS, whatever. But you cant say that all of those guys are worthless because the Marine Corps made the 90 day option available for a reason.

If you want to be a Marine officer, its a pretty good program. I could see how this could attract people (shitbirds) who just want the money with little to no reserve commitment and have no officer asperations whatsoever. But this thread is about best paths to a commission, not about how to get paid to do the least amount of work.

Lastly, flexibility is great, but there is nothing wrong with being a little bit selfish about your career. The USMC leaves very little to be decided by the individual, so if you get an opportunity to choose your own adventure... DO IT. That means make requests for things you want like jobs, schools, duty stations, etc. And when available (and ethical) take the money.

joshmf

I didn't want to disparage all 92-day reservists, as some of them in my unit were very smart and capable. But it doesn't help the Marine Corps if 4-5 Marines in a platoon can't be deployed because they haven't been MCT or their MOS school. I started college one quarter late in order to go to MCT and Comm school, and it gave the Marine Corps and my unit one more deployable Marine. I don't think that's too much to ask for someone joining the military, that they meet the minimum training requirements to serve in a warzone. My recommendation to the OP was that he look at enlisting in the Reserves, and go to MCT and MOS school/ SoI before PLC or OCC. This will give him or anyone else wanting to be an officer a good understanding of the Marine Corps before he commits to a much longer contract through NROTC or OCS. Again, just some advice based on the original question.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
The reason for this is they know that they would rather go to college first. So they do the 90 day program for 3 reasons

1) want to be a Marine
2) enlisting early gets you "in the club" and it helps with PLC entry
3) make extra money

If you want to be a Marine, then you want to be a Marine. If you're a piece of shit 90 day reservists, then that is who you are, and you're going to be a piece of this officer after PLC, TBS, whatever. But you cant say that all of those guys are worthless because the Marine Corps made the 90 day option.

I'm sticking to my guns on this one. You are an asset to your unit if you complete your training. If you want to be a Marine, like you say, don't you want to be a trained and deployable Marine? Like josh has been saying, thats one more person that can share the load. Also, IMO it makes you a more well-rounded Marine with something to actually contribute once you become an officer. Say you earn your commission as a 92-dayer and one of your enlisted Marines asks you what your job was when you were enlisted....??? What do you say then? I'm a radio operator, for example. Now, inevitably I'm going to be working with comm Marines at some point in the air wing. This could be as a FAC, or just within the squadron... regardless, I'll actually be able to share some knowledge and perhaps be more effective at my job given my previous training.

/2c

phrogpilot73

Now, inevitably I'm going to be working with comm Marines at some point in the air wing. This could be as a FAC, or just within the squadron...
More opportunity to work with the Comm Bubbas on a FAC tour. I think I may have seen a handful of Comm guys when I was in the squadron, and most of them were part of the MEU CE. No T/O for Comm bubbas in a squadron, and we really don't talk that much to the MWSS as a first floater.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Not to sidetrack the thread even further, but the only comm guys I've seen at the ACE are the data dinks who set up the networks, the CE guys who were tasked with setting something up, and my comm guys who were stolen by the OPSO to fix some random shit.