• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Best Commissioning Program

HueyCobra8151

pilot
The 90-day reserve Marines I've talked to that have gone on to go to OCS did it the next summer, opting out of MCT or MOS-training. I figure, whats the point of going enlisted first if you're just going to go straight to OCS the following summer?

Reading from your bio, didn't you go to OCS the summer after you finished your MOS school?

No offense, but it seems like you are exactly what you are preaching against, only with about 4 or so months of extra training...

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
No offense, but it seems like you are exactly what you are preaching against, only with about 4 or so months of extra training...

That "extra 4 months" is the difference between a deployable Marine that knows his MOS, and someone that can't go to combat with you. Also, if I went to MOS school in March of 04, how is summer of 05 the next summer?

joshmf

It sounds like invertedflyer and I are on the same page here. The reserve unit I was in has been constantly activated in some form or another since Feb 2003 (once as a whole company, and the rest of the time in smaller detachments.) In my platoon, we had a few 92-day reservists who had not been to MCT or MOS school, and therefore could not be deployed. So some of us did multiple deployments, and others did none. The purpose of the Marine Corps, and especially Reserve units, is to activate in times of war and provide whatever support is needed. It isn't to give people bragging rights and a nice set of dress blues. The 92 day program might have worked fine in the 90's, when no one was being deployed, but it doesn't make sense in today's world. The OP was asking about what commissioning programs were best. We were both suggesting enlisting in the reserves, completing all of the required training so that he could be an asset to his unit and the Marines, and look at PLC/ OCC later on.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
To be fair I have to say that I haven't deployed with my unit before. My unit hasn't deployed to Iraq since early 2003. I joined up with them after they got back in mid 04 and they haven't done a combat tour since. Truth be told I wish I could have done a deployment with them, even if it meant taking a year off of school. I would, however, be ready to deploy should the need arise.. and be able to support my unit given my training.

FlyMikeFly

Happiness is Vectored Thrust
pilot
Contributor
MECEP is the best.

Just kidding. But it sure has been the best for me. I was able to join the Marine Corps, work on jets, get a college education, and now I'm about to fly airplanes...AND GET PAID FOR ALL OF IT!

For me MECEP was the best, but you have to find something that will take you to the top.